Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Ranger Wing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    But the SAS give precise details about their selection.

You can be damn sure they only post what they want people to know. As fancy pants said a lot of details would be left out.

A big part of training in the military is suppose to keep you out of the loop, keep you thinking and on your toes. If a complete syllabus was made available that would affect the quality of the soldier.

Hence why you won't get specific answers regarding selection for the ARW. And selection is only the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No they fucking don't!

When you write off to whoever does selection, they send you your info pack and joining details. To you, not your Troop Commander, or OC. The letter arrives, marked RESTRICTED or something, and everyone in the office sits there going 'oooooh, aaaaaah' at the SF wannabe in their midst.

You get a pretty good breakdown of selection in that letter, basically down to what you do each week, each day. And guess what? That will NEVER be online. EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thank you. At least someone decided to grow up.

eh.....you do know that's a clip from the film Who Dares Wins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Where?

TBH, nobody knows 'exactly' how people are selected or not - you can maybe find out some ideas of the physical fitness standards, cut-off times etc but given the demands of the roles a lot, I would imagine, would come down to the assessment and instructor team - and if they don't like the cut of you jib, or don't think that you're a good fit personality-wise I doubt you'd be allowed move into a situation where you'd be working in small teams, in stressful situations for long periods.

Btw- my usual caveat applies, I've no military training / service of note, and these are just my views as an interested observer.

.....and just as an aside, a friend of mine's grandfather served in the SAS in the late 50s / early 60s. He rarely talked about it and when he did his family thought that "Special Air Service" had something to do with delivering the army's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mr. Talk

discus wrote: »
    No they fucking don't!

When you write off to whoever does selection, they send you your info pack and joining details. To you, not your Troop Commander, or OC. The letter arrives, marked RESTRICTED or something, and everyone in the office sits there going 'oooooh, aaaaaah' at the SF wannabe in their midst.

You get a pretty good breakdown of selection in that letter, basically down to what you do each week, each day. And guess what? That will NEVER be online. EVER.
    Calm down and mind your language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This is why you are not being taken seriously.

List some sensible questions and we will see what can be answered.

Hahaha what the hell!! This guy is class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Well your humour is that of a 12 year old. Why don't you go onto another thread if you want to have a laugh? I will reveal the content of a pm is if someone is wasting my time.

why so angry?

To be fair, we did wind him up a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

merely harmless banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Well this thread was interesting to read. Hey Mr. Talk, welcome to the internet, 'where everyone's a smartass and you're a jerk. Also, we've all banged your mom.'

On topic though, I don't think you're going to find any answers here on boards, you're gonna have to actually do some work instead of write a little post on here and hope the internet fairies give you the answer.

I know two lads that went for the ARW course, both made it roughly a week before they were home, in bits and pretty bummed out, and these lads were in a state of high fitness if that gives any inkling to the process.

Advertisement