Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Ranger Wing

Options
  • 08-08-2014 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

What does the 3 week selection consist of? It has a higher pass rate than that of the SAS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Mr. Talk wrote: »
    It has a higher pass rate than that of the SAS.

And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

What does the 3 week selection consist of? It has a higher pass rate than that of the SAS.

It's not a 3 week course anymore. It's been revamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yup, it's now three days attendance at the boathouse at *********, followed by an on-line multiple choice question paper. Bring your own paper hat and flip-flops.

The first question is -

Q1 - Are you quite certain that you can answer ALL questions correctly? If YES, please go to the last question [Q10]. If no, go away, have a think, come back and answer YES.

Q10 - Have you answered Q1 correctly? If YES, congratulations, you are now a fully qualified member of the ARW. If not, please go back to to Q1, re-read it, go away, come back and answer YES.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Do the rangers get issued black masking tape to go over their eyes or do they have to purchase this privately when they get the beret?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

No that was done away with, they get the new face blur technology kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That's only because the SAS candidates take the essay questions......plus the ARW candidates are assessed on their woodwork practical and they get the extra 10% for doing the selection course through Irish........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The underwater knife fighting week is really thinning out the numbers since they brought it in.

To be fair, a week is a long time to hold your breath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Personally I found the underwater dance classes a bit boring.
    Not as exciting as the 400 ft parachute drops onto bales of hay (in the dark, and without parachutes due to cutbacks in the Dept of Def.
    The SAS...bloody mama's boys...got 'chutes, every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mr. Talk

tac foley wrote: »
    Yup, it's now three days attendance at the boathouse at *********, followed by an on-line multiple choice question paper. Bring your own paper hat and flip-flops.

The first question is -

Q1 - Are you quite certain that you can answer ALL questions correctly? If YES, please go to the last question [Q10]. If no, go away, have a think, come back and answer YES.

Q10 - Have you answered Q1 correctly? If YES, congratulations, you are now a fully qualified member of the ARW. If not, please go back to to Q1, re-read it, go away, come back and answer YES.

tac
    Can you grow up a little bit? You can't even answer if you ever did selection for the SAS. For those that are bit confused, Tac sent me a private message telling me that I asked a very personal question when I asked him about the SAS.

• Advertisement

So what is it now?

discus wrote: »
    To be fair, a week is a long time to hold your breath...
    Do you have anything useful to say or are you just tying to see if a life as a clown is for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Can you grow up a little bit? You can't even answer if you ever did selection for the SAS. For those that are bit confused, Tac sent me a private message telling me that I asked a very personal question when I asked him about the SAS.

its called humour. And revealing the contents of a private message is very bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

So what is it now?

why do you care so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Ah try this link might have a few answers for ya.

http://www.military.ie/army/organisation/arw/selection-course/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

ace86 wrote: »
    Ah try this link might have a few answers for ya.

http://www.military.ie/army/organisation/arw/selection-course/

This is also outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

So what is it now?

If you needed to know you would know!

The underwater knife fighting week is really thinning out the numbers since they brought it in.

Is this what it involves......

Do you have anything useful to say or are you just tying to see if a life as a clown is for you?

y u b lyk dis/

1 like = 1 prayr = 1 arw

OP, this is like asking lads to post up what SAS selection entails. It's not gonna happen

• Advertisement

OP, this is like asking lads to post up what SAS selection entails. It's not gonna happen

OP, don't mind @discus.........SAS training videos are routinely posted on YouTube........

Beano wrote: »
    why do you care so much?
    Am I not allowed to ask questions. I thought that was what boards.ie was all about. If you don't care then why did you post a comment on this thread in the first place???????????

Beano wrote: »
    its called humour. And revealing the contents of a private message is very bad form.
    Well your humour is that of a 12 year old. Why don't you go onto another thread if you want to have a laugh? I will reveal the content of a pm is if someone is wasting my time.

We are entitled to know what selection is about but not their operations.

Jawgap wrote: »
    OP, don't mind @discus.........SAS training videos are routinely posted on YouTube........

Thank you. At least someone decided to grow up.

Entitled? What makes you think people are entitled to know how the army trains and selects it's people?

Am I not allowed to ask questions. I thought that was what boards.ie was all about. If you don't care then why did you post a comment on this thread in the first place???????????

Look Mr.T

People on here are not going to give you any specific answers. It's not that it's an opsec issue, it's just the syllabus has changed and not everyone here is aware of the content of the selection course. However, a lot of us here, including myself are just not comfortable putting specific information into the public domain. Yes of course you are allowed to ask questions but for some things,you wont get an answer.

It may come across as posters being "dicks" but I suggest searching the forum beforehand. Most of the questions here have been dealt with in the past. Most of us are tired seeing the same old questions cropping up and that is no reflection on you or anyone else for not knowing that the questions already exist.

The information in the link ace86 is out of date. That is down to the sites webmaster and not down to ace86. The bones of the narrative are still the same but the course is run in a modular system now and lasts considerably longer than the stated 3/4 weeks. However, it must be stressed that previously even after successful completion of the 3/4 week course...you are not a Ranger until the soldier passes the basic skills course.

It's a tough course and is designed as such. There is a common misconception that just because we are Irish and not a "conflict going" nation that our special forces are inferior to most. Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion but it's not one I hold.

Best of luck.

No you are not. If you are serving in the PDF/RDF then you would be somewhat encouraged to find out but not as a civilian.

No you are not. If you are serving in the PDF/RDF then you would be somewhat encouraged to find out but not as a civilian.
    But the SAS give precise details about their selection.

• Advertisement

But the SAS give precise details about their selection.

Well that's the SAS.

It is acceptable for different organisations to do things differently. There is more than enough information in the link earlier provided.

You do not need to know the ins and outs of specific tests, cut off points for navigation exercises, kit that needs to be carried, etc etc. Its as simple as that.

How about you list in bullet point all the questions you have. At least we will know what you want to find out. As I have said, the general information is in the link. Alternatively why not contact Defence Forces PR section of An Cosantoir and request any past ARW articles that have been published.

Hell, just join the DF and go for selection yourself.

Advertisement