Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish backpacker in Australia charged with death of her baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Poor girl. My first pregnancy was only discovered at 4 months. I had no symptoms and no bump until month 8 and that can be very common with a first baby especially in a young woman apparently. I really don't see why she would be sent to prison for this, the baby was stillborn. How awful for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Any key? wrote: »
    I didn't mean giving birth. I meant looking for help either during or afterwards?
    Poor girl I guess it would be too hard to understand what thoughts were going through her mind anyway.

I would imagine once she realised the horror of what was happening to her body, instinct took over. Not many thought processes involved in situations like that, I
    would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

How sad for all, and her family in Ireland being so far from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

How sad for all, and her family in Ireland being so far from her.

I know, I've a neice out there. She's a smart "kid" but we'd be devasted if something like this happened to her - never mind her Mum and Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

old_aussie wrote: »
    If they find the body and it can be proved that the baby was alive when abandoned she should be charged with murder.

Stating the obvious?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

mike_ie wrote: »

It's absolutely shocking that they are still planning on taking her to court considering the following statement:
    Chief Magistrate Steven Heath said the maximum penalty for the offence was a two-year jail term and delays until at least next year were likely.
    Mr Heath said without trivialising the matter, nothing more serious was alleged than the concealing the birth.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I would imagine that they may just be going through the motions of due process. 5 minutes in the courtroom, long enough for someone to say "this girl's been through enough, case dismissed".

They may not even bother bringing her back for it - I doubt they'd be handing her back her passport and telling her to go home to be with ehr family if they felt that there was anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The baby was stillborn. This could mean that it died in the womb. It could have died after 5 or 6 months. There would have been no further growth so she wouldn't have displayed the belly, felt any kicks or needed to "eat for 2" so to speak. I read about a poor Afghan woman whose child died inside her and stayed that way for years. She was carrying around a completely calcified child in her womb.

I hope this backpacker girl isn't punished too harshly. Pregnant women are not in the normal frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any key? wrote: »
    I didn't mean giving birth. I meant looking for help either during or afterwards?
    Poor girl I guess it would be too hard to understand what thoughts were going through her mind anyway.

I guess that it was her mind's way of trying to protect her; if she didn't tell anyone then it wasn't real, it didn't happen, and her psyche could bury it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

old_aussie wrote: »
    If they find the body and it can be proved that the baby was alive when abandoned she should be charged with murder.

Oh, boy. There's always one who can't get beyond their own desire for revenge, or punishment, or retribution. Empathy is just an alien concept.

Advertisement