Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish backpacker in Australia charged with death of her baby

Options
  • 08-08-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

Edit: After reading further articles, the title of this thread should be "Irish backpacker in Australia charged with CONCEALING death of her baby"

Link
    A 25-YEAR-OLD IRISH woman has been charged with concealing the death of a newborn baby by Australian police.

The 25-year-old is said to have given birth at home alone in the Australian outback town of Halls Creek in May.

Western Australian police told ABC News that the woman had been travelling through the Kimberly region and did not realise she had fallen pregnant.
    It is alleged that she hid the baby’s body and did not tell her friends what had happened for several days.

When her friends found out, they brought her to a hospital, where police were informed.

Although it sounds dubious, it's not that uncommon to hear about women who don't realise they're pregnant until they go into labour. I can't imagine what mental state the girl must have been in, all of a sudden she starts giving birth to a baby while she's home alone. Why didn't she try and get help? And then she carried on for days as normal without telling her friends. Such a sad story for all involved :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Forgive my ignorance... but how do you not know you're pregnant before labour? Doesn't the baby kick you, and you get sick... and the food binges... and ya'know... the huge baby inside you?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance... but how do you not know you're pregnant before labour? Doesn't the baby kick you, and you get sick... and the food binges... and ya'know... the huge baby inside you?

It's very possible, there's an article on it here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jena-pincott/pregnant-without-knowing-it_b_1078776.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If they find the body and it can be proved that the baby was alive when abandoned she should be charged with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Most of the time stuff happens and people think it's something else.

My lung collapsed. it was intensely painful. I thought it was really bad indigestion from being on the piss the night beforehand. I took a rennie. And despite what that story might tell you, I'm not actually that stupid. I just have a history of stomach pain.

My mother was a midwife and had plenty of stories about girls like this. It's not uncommon especially in larger girls where the weight gain isn't considered unusual. All the rest of the signs are masked as something else. Morning sickness is a stomach bug for example. And women can even continue to menstruate when pregnant.

old_aussie wrote: »
    If they find the body and it can be proved that the baby was alive when abandoned she should be charged with murder.

The charge only holds a 2 year maximum sentence. But I think that charge is just for not reporting the birth of a baby. I'm sure as things develop there will be a call for a murder charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The baby was stillborn -

Some in the community where the woman was hospitalised expressed surprise she had been charged because of the experience of giving birth to a stillborn child in a foreign country.

Source: ABC News

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

There have been a number of cases of women who haven't realised that they were pregnant until they gave birth in the bathroom or similar (usually quite large ladies who wrote it off to weight gain or similar), but it's also quite possible that the girl in question was in complete denial to herself about being pregnant until she had no choice but to face the truth (i.e. she was in the middle of giving birth...)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

She needs help I think. Did they access her mental stage I wonder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My grandmother didn't realise she was pregnant until she fainted in the street and was brought to hospital in the early stages of premature labour. Came as a shock all around. Even moreso as she was a thin woman and was the go to woman in the area for younger women who were pregnant so of all people you'd think she'd be more aware. She was in her mid forties so she thought she was suffering from symptoms of the menopause(or the "change" as they called it). It can happen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The charge only holds a 2 year maximum sentence. But I think that charge is just for not reporting the birth of a baby. I'm sure as things develop there will be a call for a murder charge.

Maybe, but I can't help thinking that whatever was going through this poor girl's mind, the last thing she needs is the judicial systems help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Surely in this case though the reason can often be put down to sheer fear or panic i.e not reporting the birth.

In this case though the girl was 25, not like she was a scared 16 year old. Kind of difficult to understand especially if she was travelling with any friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

When my daughter was born I met a mate from my local at the hospital. His wife had just given birth and she knew sod all about being pregnant. They already had two children together, so it does really happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Halls Creek, just checked it on Google street view. It's some kinda place, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

No offence and correct me if I'm wrong, but if a woman goes to 7-8-9 months without knowing they are pregnant they must be fat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No offence and correct me if I'm wrong, but if a woman goes to 7-8-9 months without knowing they are pregnant they must be fat.
    Not always. As I said above my grandmother was nowhere close to fat, she was considered a thin woman back in the days when most people were much thinner than today and she didn't spot it. She put on remarkably little weight. IIRC about a stone and because she was also a tall woman didn't think much of the extra weight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Not necessarily. It doesn't mention her weight in any of the media reports on this case though so I couldn't say in this case whether you're right or wrong.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The baby was stillborn -

Source: ABC News

That reveals a lot more. None of the reports I've read have mentioned the body of the baby, but I presume since it happened back in May and she has appeared in court, that the body of the baby was found and they were able to deduct that it was stillborn. If that is the case then there obviously there will be no murder charge. I hope the poor woman doesn't have to face prison over this. Imagine how traumatic the whole experience must have been.

When my daughter was born I met a mate from my local at the hospital. His wife had just given birth and she knew sod all about being pregnant. They already had two children together, so it does really happen.

the human race reproduced for millennia without people knowing exactly how it was all done. reproducing is one of the few thing's that humans can do with no knowledge or training. (Not that's they'll be good parents, just that they'll be parents)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I wouldn't be overly concerned. It seems to be one of those points of law that gets trotted forward as part of the 'just in case' scenario. No doubt it will be decided that it's not in the public interest to press charges against the woman.

The lead singer of Ham Sandwich gave birth not knowing she was even pregnant. She is not, and was not fat - quite slim in fact. She was on the cover of Hot Press magazine just weeks before and played a gig in London 4 days prior to giving birth!!!

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/singers-joy-as-oscar-turns-up-unexpectedly-26456391.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I can kind of understand how she reacted - to go from not knowing you are pregnant to suddenly going into labour and giving birth to a dead baby must be incredibly, unbelievably shocking. She might have literally not been able to mentally process what had happened for a few days and been just going around on auto-pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

I'm sure you get the idea now, given that others have said it isn't always the case. Some women just carry very small, particularly so if they've a small frame themselves. If her periods are also irregular she could easily be none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Any key? wrote: »
    Surely in this case though the reason can often be put down to sheer fear or panic i.e not reporting the birth.

In this case though the girl was 25, not like she was a scared 16 year old. Kind of difficult to understand especially if she was travelling with any friends.

Giving birth on her own in the outback must have been a terrifying experience,
    regardless of the age of the woman.

That reveals a lot more. None of the reports I've read have mentioned the body of the baby, but I presume since it happened back in May and she has appeared in court, that the body of the baby was found and they were able to deduct that it was stillborn. If that is the case then there obviously there will be no murder charge. I hope the poor woman doesn't have to face prison over this. Imagine how traumatic the whole experience must have been.

And she still has to face having her name plastered all over the media when she
    appears in court in October. :(

mike_ie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly concerned. It seems to be one of those points of law that gets trotted forward as part of the 'just in case' scenario. No doubt it will be decided that it's not in the public interest to press charges against the woman.

Let's hope so! The girl has suffered enough. :(

B0jangles wrote: »
    I can kind of understand how she reacted - to go from not knowing you are pregnant to suddenly going into labour and giving birth to a dead baby must be incredibly, unbelievably shocking. She might have literally not been able to mentally process what had happened for a few days and been just going around on auto-pilot.

Childbirth can be a traumatic experience, even in a hospital environment, where
    medics are on hand to help the woman. That poor girl must be suffering from
    PTSD at this stage.

B0jangles wrote: »

That's horror film **** right there.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

God, she must have been terrified. :(

I was scared when I was giving birth, but I'd planned the pregnancy for years, knew I was pregnant from 4 weeks, had lots of antenatal appointments, haunted the pregnancy /parenting forum here and still when my waters broke and I went into the labour ward I was still scared and apprehensive, despite being surrounded by professionals skilled in delivering babies.

I cannot imagine the horror of realisation that you had been pregnant coming when you deliver a dead baby alone. I cant see how its anything other than PTSD that caused her to fail to report it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Giving birth on her own in the outback must have been a terrifying experience,
    regardless of the age of the woman.

I didn't mean giving birth. I meant looking for help either during or afterwards?
    Poor girl I guess it would be too hard to understand what thoughts were going through her mind anyway.

Advertisement