Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eating meat is eating a corpse"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    As long as it has a good life and is killed in the most humane way there is, it's fine by me.

If you eat lamb or beef, you can be assured that if they were raised in this country they had a pretty nice life.

Chicken and pig products? Not so much. And Ireland is one the better countries in this regard. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Ranchu wrote: »
    PETA have always operated a policy of all publicity is good publicity and it works well for them. You're all playing right into their hands.

You're on this thread, so you are too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Why battle nature.

Are they going to put their billboards up in the plains of Africa too so that maybe the Lions will starting eating grass instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There on rte one liveline now

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Tasden wrote: »
    Something that is not exactly nice to be eating for ethical reasons can still be tasty.

I love chicken, love kfc gravy, love pepperoni- all those things taste amazing, but i still think its not nice to eat them because it was once a living thing and the idea of eating them is just gross to me now. If there was a substitute that tasted as good I'd eat them all day long. I don't see why people think that is so strange. The food itself is tasty, the fact it was alive once upon a time puts me off actually eating it, substitutes were never alive.

I only meant why inflict meat substitutes that are inferior in taste just to have it on yourself surely if you dislike meat for ethical reasons you won't want to still be associated with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PETA are the worst kind of hypocrites. They really, truly don't give a **** about animals.

Remember this story from last year? If not, give it a read.

Wjhen I hear the name PETA, I think of idiots who release invasive species that then decimate native wildlfe.

Idiots like those involved with PETA are a big reason as to why species like mink have gotten a foothold in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

nicki11 wrote: »
    I only meant why inflict meat substitutes that are inferior in taste just to have it on yourself surely if you dislike meat for ethical reasons you won't want to still be associated with it

People don't eat meat for many different reasons though. I just don't like eating it knowing its an animal, I think meat is tasty though I just cant eat it anymore without thinking about what it actually is, I don't have issues being "associated" with it or whatever, although I don't really understand what that means :o

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Of course its eating a corpse but its a different animal so we are less likely to catch something from it so its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some butchers group should have an ad "vegetables are grown in the dirty ground, sometimes even in cow shit, ewwww"

Did peta think people don't know meat comes from animals or something? and felt a need to inform them, like the kelloggs campaign of "rice krispies are made of rice" a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Rachiee wrote: »
    Of course its eating a corpse but its a different animal so we are less likely to catch something from it so its fine.

Yeah, dont wanna catch Kuru.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Delicious delicious corpses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

Any time I hear PETA being mentioned I think to myself that there must be someone laughing their way to the bank in there cos I can imagine their kind of campaigning getting quite a bit of money but I can't imagine it being able to sustain itself with such a major presence if it was ran entirely by nutjobs.

Don't at all get the anti-vegan/vegetarian/animal rights stuff that seems to come up whenever they're mentioned though. Surely everyone can acknowledge at this stage that they're not really representative of all the people aligned to those lifestyles/causes?

+1.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 20years and a vegan for 4yrs. I don't eat meat because I don't want to eat it, I don't eat meat 'replacements' like vegan sausages etc. because I simply don't miss meat or want it. The thought of eating something that was living flesh disgusts me, that's why I don't eat it.

Most of my friends eat meat, my OH eats meat (apart from a brief period of 'trying vegan'!) - jeez, he's even from a hunting state. I go to restaurants with friends who eat meat in front of me. I.DON'T.CARE. I've never lectured anyone for eating meat but I've had plenty lecture me for not eating it.

Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and form their own opinions. Organisations like PETA should be there to give people information so that they can form educated opinions, NOT to ram propaganda down their throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Organisations like PETA should be there to give people information so that they can form educated opinions, NOT to ram propaganda down their throats.

Most organisations exist to give people information.

One of PETA's core aims to ram propaganda down people's throats, and to try and bully people into complying with their views.
    This is why so many people (including lots of vegetarians and vegans) have a serious problem with PETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Throw them into a jungle, trapped in the Andes, or surviving the Holocaust or starving from malnutrition, I'd like to see their "evolved sensibilities" then

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

Adamantium wrote: »
    Throw them into a jungle, trapped in the Andes, or surviving the Holocaust or starving from malnutrition, I'd like to see their "evolved sensibilities" then

I think you're making a good point, although somehow I think many of those people would simply lack the survival instinct that allows a person to eat the flesh of another human being.

I know the plane crash story you're referring to quite well - some people weren't able to make that mental adjustment, and they died very quickly of starvation. I also spoke to two people who'd had the experience of eating human flesh during WW2, and they too mentioned that many people were just not able for it, so they died... and became food themselves.

It would be interesting to see if/at what point would the loudest PETA activists abandon their values for the sake of survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd rather eat meat than kill dogs.

I'm putting that on a T-shirt and posting it off to PETA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Meat is Murder!

Really delicious murder! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

userod wrote: »
    Why battle nature.

Are they going to put their billboards up in the plains of Africa too so that maybe the Lions will starting eating grass instead?

http://www.hedweb.com/

"outlines how genetic engineering and nanotechnology will abolish suffering in all sentient life"

Some real oddballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Animal flesh doesn't taste nice. It's horrible.

That's why we either heat it and / or flavor it: to make it palatable.

Actually you are wrong there are plenty of products which are made from raw meat and we cook meat so we kill the bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

juice1304 wrote: »
    Actually you are wrong there are plenty of products which are made from raw meat and we cook meat so we kill the bacteria

Steak tartare for one. Also biltong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Cabaal wrote: »
    Meat is Murder!

Someone should go on liveline pretending to be all outraged saying peta are encouraging murder if murder is this good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

http://www.hedweb.com/

"outlines how genetic engineering and nanotechnology will abolish suffering in all sentient life"

Some real oddballs.

I'll say. How are you going to get rid of pain while still living safely? It's there for a reason, as anyone who's minded a kid with congenital analgesia will tell you. Unless the plan is to be something like H.G. Wells' Eloi, i.e. not really live at all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cabaal wrote: »
    Meat is Murder!

Hell yeah. Just cut off his horns and wipe his ass, Ma'am. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Same with sushi / shashimi -- dipping sauces will be used.

I don't always dip mine.

Scrap dealers will take it. Thats where I sent all the wheelchairs from my time on a vegetable only diet.
    Tea coming down nose and on table. Choking sensation.
    Best laugh in a while.

<tips hat>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Steak tartare for one. Also biltong.

Just bought a food dehydrator. Apparently makes awesome biltong. The experiment starts tomorrow. I'm so excited I could pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Dont understand it. So animals can eat animals. Animals Can eat people. People can't eat animals?
    Madness i tell you, I eat them before they eat me, Self defense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Unfortunately nature isn't all hugs and rainbows. There's a lot of eating other animals involved.

Think of it like a cute, fluffy cat : a perfectly evolved vicious killing machine in a cuddly package that likes belly rubs and purring!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm off into the kitchen.
    I have a big lump of a corpse on the pan with a few onions and mushrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Unfortunately nature isn't all hugs and rainbows. There's a lot of eating other animals involved.

Think of it like a cute, fluffy cat : a perfectly evolved vicious killing machine in a cuddly package that likes belly rubs and purring!

I dare you to come over and try rub my cats belly.
    He's coughing up bits of next doors Rottweiler as we speak.

Advertisement