Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The largest ethnic cleansing in 60+ years in taking place today in Iraq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    America is our best chance of removing ISIS.

Your havin a laugh aren't you.

These lads started off as a few hardcore religious nutcases with AK47's living in caves in Afghanistan, then America went to war with them, spent billions of dollars, slaughtered countless people and destroyed two countries.

Now these guys are in control of major parts of a country, have access to heavy military weapons and massive funding.

If America is our best hope we are fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Where do you think the money that was spent went? Who had loads of connections to those companies? It's really not complicated.

I suggest you stop with the innuendo. If you believe that America went to war in Iraq to make Chaney and Bush and their supports money then say so.
    You may need to consider that they were already insanely rich anyway and that there are far easier ways to make money than invading countries. But if that is what you believe then say it.
    Personally I think it was ego and arrogance and that Bush wanted an easy victory after the humiliation of 9/11.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Your havin a laugh aren't you.

These lads started off as a few hardcore religious nutcases with AK47's living in caves in Afghanistan, then America went to war with them, spent billions of dollars, slaughtered countless people and destroyed two countries.

Now these guys are in control of major parts of a country, have access to heavy military weapons and massive funding.

If America is our best hope we are fcuked.

And what is your suggestion?

LorMal wrote: »
    I suggest you stop with the innuendo. If you believe that America went to war in Iraq to make Chaney and Bush and their supports money then say so.
    You may need to consider that they were already insanely rich anyway and that there are far easier ways to make money than invading countries. But if that is what you believe then say it.
    Personally I think it was ego and arrogance and that Bush wanted an easy victory after the humiliation of 9/11.
    It's not just a handful of people, it's a whole class of people. Bush was probably less to blame than others.

It's not just a handful of people, it's a whole class of people. Bush was probably less to blame than others.

Again the innuendo.Who?

• Advertisement

Again the innuendo.Who?
    Well there's Dave and Steve and Mary for a start. Or were you looking for another kind of "innuendo".

And what is your suggestion?

I dont know what the answer is but I know that its not bombing a population back to the stone age.
    These guys will hide away when the bombing goes on and the innocent people will again suffer giving them even more recruits and support from whatever f**ked up regime who want to use them to suit there cause.

The americans do the least damage when they stay at home.

Well there's Dave and Steve and Mary for a start. Or were you looking for another kind of "innuendo".

Huh?

On a serious note, I am not trying to pick at you. I do agree that the Arericans handled Iraq appallingly and had no justification for invading Iraq and we are left with a terrible mess.

But I do hate the constant America bashing on here. I am pretty sure your average US soldier is a decent enough person. Yes they are arrogant and crass but I think they are in the main decent enough people.

These ISIS f..kers are unbelievable. Beheading, crucifying, raping - filming it all on their camera phones. They want to kill us all, no exceptions. By their own decree - this is their policy.

So, who do I want to condemn? ISIS. Not 'the west', not the US and the Brits,
    not Israel....but the actual bastards who are doing this. End of.

I dont know what the answer is but I know that its not bombing a population back to the stone age.
    These guys will hide away when the bombing goes on and the innocent people will again suffer giving them even more recruits and support from whatever f**ked up regime who want to use them to suit there cause.

So no suggestion for saving the 70,000 people huddled up a hill, surrounded by murdering thugs and rapists then.
    Okay. good plan

Huh?

On a serious note, I am not trying to pick at you. I do agree that the Arericans handled Iraq appallingly and had no justification for invading Iraq and we are left with a terrible mess.

But I do hate the constant America bashing on here. I am pretty sure your average US soldier is a decent enough person. Yes they are arrogant and crass but I think they are in the main decent enough people.

These ISIS f..kers are unbelievable. Beheading, crucifying, raping - filming it all on their camera phones. They want to kill us all, no exceptions. By their own decree - this is their policy.

So, who do I want to condemn? ISIS. Not 'the west', not the US and the Brits,
    not Israel....but the actual bastards who are doing this. End of.
    In this particularly case ISIS are the bad guys, along with those pulling the strings. The knock-on effects of some of the west's actions both recently and a few decades ago have contributed to what's happening now. Be nice if the yanks and the rest did do something in this case for the benefit of innocent civilians, they've done it at times in the past, hopefully they will this time again.

• Advertisement

I agree, these ISIS people are savages of the worst kind and need to be dealt with, I just dont think America are the people to deal with them.

NSFW

In this particularly case ISIS are the bad guys, along with those pulling the strings. The knock-on effects of some of the west's actions both recently and a few decades ago have contributed to what's happening now. Be nice if the yanks and the rest did do something in this case for the benefit of innocent civilians, they've done it at times in the past, hopefully they will this time again.

Yes that's a contributing factor. But people have free choice. It takes some amount of hate to cut some poor boys head off with a knife because he does not follow your religious code.
    I don't blame anyone for that but the man holding the knife.
    Let's not excuse or somehow justify these actions because of America. That's where we go wrong.
    I remember when Russia invaded Afghanistan in the 80s. The mujaheddin were all hailed as heroic freedom fighters by us in the west. we blamed the Russians.
    Look how that turned out.
    I hope ISIS and their ilk are totally destroyed by the Americans. But I fear it won't happen and that they will continue to grow internationally.

I agree, these ISIS people are savages of the worst kind and need to be dealt with, I just dont think America are the people to deal with them.

NSFW

Thats whataboutery. Never gets anyone anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Magaggie wrote: »
    the "You're 100 per cent with us or else you're agin' us" crowd
    porsche959 wrote: »
    Do you favour ISIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

What is happening now is essentially the redrawing of the old colonial borders in the Middle-East, something which was inevitably going to happen in the region if given the chance.

Now, whilst I certainly wouldn't condone another US ground invasion in Iraq, I feel that the Americans have a certain obligation to the Iraqi people to ensure that the region doesn't descend into utter chaos. If that means conducting air strikes against overzealous and outright brutal ISIS forces, then so be it. The best thing that can be done at this point is to ensure that this new transition is tempered and conducted with as little blood-shed as possible.

old_aussie wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing from muslims that it's only a few bad muslims giving islam a bad name...That line don't cut it anymore.
    Well you have posted fairly islamophobic stuff so you would think that. The fanatics are pretty sizeable in number, to be fair, but still a minority, and still not something moderate muslims should be blamed for - especially when a lot of people who suffer under the fanatics are moderate muslims.
    Rightwing wrote: »
    To be fair to them, the world is in crisis at the moment. I can't remember a geopoliticial crisis ever as bad as now.
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/humanity-marks-ww1-anniversary-with-wars-2014080589290
    mad muffin wrote: »
    The difference between Irish forums and American…

90% Of Irish posters-won't no one think of the terrorists…

90% of American posters-bomb them all to hell, let god sort them out…

:pac:
    "90%"? :confused:
    Link please to the posts where people say "Won't no one think of the terrorists". Otherwise, your edginess is utterly awe-inspiring.
    Thats whataboutery. Never gets anyone anywhere.
    Still a lot of fans of it though, particularly on the right.

Let's not excuse or somehow justify these actions because of America. That's where we go wrong.

Who is doing that?

Magaggie wrote: »
    Well you have posted fairly islamophobic stuff so you would think that. The fanatics are pretty sizeable in number, to be fair, but still a minority, and still not something moderate muslims should be blamed for - especially when a lot of people who suffer under the fanatics are moderate muslims.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/humanity-marks-ww1-anniversary-with-wars-2014080589290

"90%"? :confused:
    Link please to the posts where people say "Won't no one think of the terrorists". Otherwise, your edginess is utterly awe-inspiring.

Still a lot of fans of it though, particularly on the right.

Who is the right and who is the left in this one? Surely those old divisions are meaningless in situations like this

Who is doing that?

Those who blame the US for what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Where do you think the money that was spent went? Who had loads of connections to those companies? It's really not complicated.
    I asked you. So far you're answering a question with a question.

Who made an awful lot of money? How did they make it? And do you have proof that if these people did make money they actually influenced Bush's decision rather than just profit from it?
    bumper234 wrote: »
    Bush speaks to his audience. Obviously he doesn't believe God told him to invade Iraq.
    Question is why did they remove Saddam. And the answer isn't because they wanted to help the Iraqi people.

I agree, ISIS seem to be the problem and if the US help deal with the problem and stabilise the region then good.
    That's what I asked you. You claimed America only invaded Iraq for their own self interest. Ok. What self interest? What did America gain from removing Saddam? If they didn't gain anything then obviously they weren't motivated by self interest.

I would be surprised if America wasn't working on Bagdadi's assassination as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

But I do hate the constant America bashing on here.

I think you might be confusing criticism of US foreign policy with 'America bashing'. I don't think anyone has anything against the regular American people. A lot of Americans are critical of US foreign policy - are they America bashing?

US foreign policy has been an utter disaster for the hundreds of thousands of dead or misplaced people in Iraq and it's not very unreasonable to say that Iraq was a less dangerous place under the murderous dictator Saddam.

Oh and you asked earlier who benefited financially from the Iraq war? Here's the biggest profiteer:
    Private or publicly listed firms received at least $138 billion of U.S. taxpayer money for government contracts for services that included providing private security, building infrastructure and feeding the troops.

The No. 1 recipient?

Houston-based energy-focused engineering and construction firm KBR, Inc. (NYSE:KBR), which was spun off from its parent, oilfield services provider Halliburton Co. (NYSE:HAL), in 2007.[/URL]

That $138Bn ignores the money that flows from the US tax-payer to the US war complex. The Iraq war is thought to have cost the US public €2 trillion.

Those who blame the US for what's happening
    They are partly to blame for the situation arising.

porsche959 wrote: »
    But hey, this is boards.ie, the Irish are a nation of competitive what abouters, so fair enough.
    What nationality are you?

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I think you might be confusing criticism of US foreign policy with 'America bashing'. I don't think anyone has anything against the regular American people. A lot of Americans are critical of US foreign policy - are they America bashing?

US foreign policy has been an utter disaster for the hundreds of thousands of dead or misplaced people in Iraq and it's not very unreasonable to say that Iraq was a less dangerous place under the murderous dictator Saddam.

Oh and you asked earlier who benefited financially from the Iraq war? Here's the biggest profiteer:

That $138Bn ignores the money that flows from the US tax-payer to the US war complex. The Iraq war is thought to have cost the US public €2 trillion.

American bashing is a term I used to describe the tendency of some to blame everything on the US.
    I did say the invasion was a crime and an abomination, so no need to set me straight there.
    I also acknowledged that the US had no strategy beyond victory and an ego trip.

I did not ask who benefitted financially. I know who did - Halliburton is owned in part by Chaney if I'm not mistaken? I questioned the opinion given that money making was the reason behind the war- and you have just supported me in that. The US did not profit from the invasion - it cost them billions. Thanks.

They are partly to blame for the situation arising.

Indeed partly. But they are not doing the beheading

American bashing is a term I used to describe the tendency of some to blame everything on the US.
    I did say the invasion was a crime and an abomination, so no need to set me straight there.
    I also acknowledged that the US had no strategy beyond victory and an ego trip.

I did not ask who benefitted financially. I know who did - Halliburton is owned in part by Chaney if I'm not mistaken? I questioned the opinion given that money making was the reason behind the war- and you have just supported me in that. The US did not profit from the invasion - it cost them billions. Thanks.

The American people sent their sons and daughter to die in Iraq and Afghanistan and profited not one iota.

America only lost. It lost its sons,daughters and reputation so that Chaney and his ilk could reap the financial rewards and ISIS is the result of their actions.

The American people are good people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Let's save time by blaming Christopher Columbus for all things America-related, and then we can concentrate on the issue at hand - saving lives.

The US did not profit from the invasion - it cost them billions.

The US is not a person. Some Americans profited from the war; the hundreds of billions doesn't just disappear, it ends up in someone's pocket down the line.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The US is not a person. Some Americans profited from the war; the hundreds of billions doesn't just disappear, it ends up in someone's pocket down the line.

Okay, so what are you arguing? That the 'down the line' people caused the war? Really?
    Can it not just be that Bush wanted to look strong, had 'Father' issues and the hawks in the administration wanted blood and glory?
    Do you really think it was just profiteering?

Anyway, that's all I the past now. Let's hope they spend another few billion wiping out these ISIS vermin before this stuff starts happening here.

• Advertisement

Okay, so what are you arguing? That the 'down the line' people caused the war? Really?

Wars of that magnitude rarely happen for any one single reason.
    chicken hawks in the administration wanted blood and glory?

Definitely played its part.
    Do you really think it was just profiteering?

It would have played its part too, for sure.
    Anyway, that's all I the past now. Let's hope they spend another few billion wiping out these ISIS vermin before this stuff starts happening here.

I don't think these whack-jobs can be stopped by air-power - hindered maybe but not stopped. I think the regional actors should be the ones sorting the problem out, principle among them the Iraqis themselves.

Advertisement