Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

game4it70 wrote: »
    And a m-itx mobo :D

Worth it for the easy cable management :pac:

900d-mitx-installation.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I love that pic. They also stuck a Prodigy in there if I remember correctly. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Headshot wrote: »
    I have the 8gb version

Great card

is it a good card to over clock? I've got 7950 vapor x at the moment im very happy with it but I would like to upgrade it with out having a x-fire they seem to be some what temperamental? I'm just looking at my options really...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd love to be rich just so I could do ridiculous things like spend 1k on a gpu that comes in an aluminum flight case and then pair it with a 60 euro G3258, a €20 case, 4gb of ram and troll people on other forums with pictures.

Hi guys I just build this Pc for games, my friend pick the parts for me he said they were the best wat do u think...

GTY_popcorn2_kab_140307_16x9_608.jpg

'CAN I RUN BATTLEFIELD 3 ON THIS'

**** off you knobhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads what kind of specs would you recommend for a ESXI server that will be running asterisk (PBX), xmbc and maybe some other stuff in the future? How much money?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

GTA 5 PC out January 27th, "next gen" is November 18th IIRC. :D:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

GTA 5 PC out January 27th, "next gen" is November 18th IIRC. :D:(:D

November this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

18th November 2014 for next gen, Jan bloody 2015 for PC. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tbh wouldnt be that bothered,if a delay makes it a good PC port properly using the hardware id be happy with that. Should have the best version of the game then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

My DeathAdder's thumb buttons are starting to not respond, anyone know what Razer's warranty is like? Alternatively, what mouse should I be looking at replacing it with? I was thinking possibly the Steelseries Rival, as it has a flawless sensor and looks comfortable. Another option is a Zowie FK/AM, my younger brother has one and it's very nice, also has a flawless sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What's the general idea with selling on cards?

I've an XFX 7950 which I bought in the states. I got it October 2012.

I like to keep an ear to the ground with hardware and if there's a way I can upgrade without resorting to selling body parts it'd be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Gbear wrote: »
    What's the general idea with selling on cards?

I've an XFX 7950 which I bought in the states. I got it October 2012.

I like to keep an ear to the ground with hardware and if there's a way I can upgrade without resorting to selling body parts it'd be sweet.

Stick it up on Adverts and you'll get a few quid for it. I've had good success selling and buying on Adverts. You'll probably get 160-170 euro for that card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You won't get that for a 7950. Going by going rate on adverts and from experience, you'll get about 120 for a 7950 at best. Which is fair enough seeing as you can get a 270X for about 170 new..

You won't get that for a 7950. Going by going rate on adverts and from experience, you'll get about 120 for a 7950 at best. Which is fair enough seeing as you can get a 270X for about 170 new..

I saw some goon looking for €250 for one.:P

Would it even be worth upgrading to the 280x?

I heard the next series of Nvidia cards is coming out fairly soon (next couple of months).

What sort of effect will that have on prices? Course it could mean my card drops in value as well.

You're right... Actually the 7950 is slightly faster than a 270X. The 270X is equivalent to the 7870, the 280 is the 7950 equivalent. I think you could grt 140 for a 7950 like the XFX in question, MAYBE 150 for one with higher end cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 270x has a little more muscle than that, it's faster than the 7950 in most games, and definitely is a stronger card than the 7870. Not sure why it's gotten this label as the new 7870, perhaps in the hierarchy but in terms of actual speed it's faster. I had a Toxic 270x for a while, and that was actually challenging the 7970 and winning in several cases (paid 180 for it).

The 280x can be gotten for about 220-230 new now, and that is =/+ the 7970Ghz, decent models are faster. So yes, decent upgrade, but if I was coming from a 7950, I'd be looking at either a fast clocked 280x or an affordable r9 290.

If you have a motherboard with 2 lanes and a decent psu, 7950 crossfire is incredibly effective and can be had very cheaply.

Best value is with the 280x at the moment in my opinion, but if you're looking for a significantly noticeable upgrade, I would say r9 290.

The 270x has a little more muscle than that, it's faster than the 7950 in most games, and definitely is a stronger card than the 7870. Not sure why it's gotten this label as the new 7870, perhaps in the hierarchy but in terms of actual speed it's faster. I had a Toxic 270x for a while, and that was actually challenging the 7970 and winning in several cases (paid 180 for it).

The 280x can be gotten for about 220-230 new now, and that is =/+ the 7970Ghz, decent models are faster. So yes, decent upgrade, but if I was coming from a 7950, I'd be looking at either a fast clocked 280x or an affordable r9 290.

If you have a motherboard with 2 lanes and a decent psu, 7950 crossfire is incredibly effective and can be had very cheaply.

Best value is with the 280x at the moment in my opinion, but if you're looking for a significantly noticeable upgrade, I would say r9 290.

I hadn't considered crossfire.

Seems like about 130 could get you one on places like adverts. What'd be the safest way to get one? Reputable ebay seller maybe?

It'd certainly be the cheapest option. The only other problem is I've only a 700w PSU and I'd need to check if I even have enough sockets to plug it into (Edit: I don't have enough sockets. It's an old PSU so I was nearly due to upgrade it anyway. Suggestions?).

I certainly have room on my mobo and my case was bought with possible crossfire in mind.

• Advertisement

A good quality 700w CPU is perfect for Crossfiring 7950s. I wouldn't CF 7950s at this stage. AFAIK your XFX model has only mediocre cooling and it might struggle in CF. Not to mention the headache you might have with scaling issues in some games (although to AMD's credit this is largely gone in the last year or so).

I wouldn't recommend a CF at this stage, I would grab a Trix 290 if you can for 320~ euro. That would be an awesome upgrade if you could afford it.

Gumbi wrote: »
    A good quality 700w CPU is perfect for Crossfiring 7950s. I wouldn't CF 7950s at this stage. AFAIK your XFX model has only mediocre cooling and it might struggle in CF. Not to mention the headache you might have with scaling issues in some games (although to AMD's credit this is largely gone in the last year or so).

I wouldn't recommend a CF at this stage, I would grab a Trix 290 if you can for 320~ euro. That would be an awesome upgrade if you could afford it.

Where would I get a 290 for that little?

They seem to be closer to 400 than 320.

Would it be worth looking at a 2nd hand one?

Usually get a link via geizhals.de but Overclockers.co.uk have a great offer going, and you can trust their customer service too! No hassles and a great deal. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-341-SP

Damn the euro is weaker vs the pound compared to how it used to be. That'll be about 350 delivered. You can use Geizhals to get a trix for 330 plus delivery which won't be much cheaper.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Usually get a link via geizhals.de but Overclockers.co.uk have a great offer going, and you can trust their customer service too! No hassles and a great deal. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-341-SP

Damn the euro is weaker vs the pound compared to how it used to be. That'll be about 350 delivered. You can use Geizhals to get a trix for 330 plus delivery which won't be much cheaper.

I've bought off them before.

You can't put a price on free packets of jellies.:pac:

It also comes with 3 free games? Sooooooo tempting.

I better sleep on it. Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

uhhh... i'll just leave this here and slowly back away.... hopefully good news

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/microsoft-minecraft/?mbid=social_fb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

They sold it for 2.5 billion. Serious scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Three dimensional user generated operating system, it's about time :)

Mojang by mistake made something awesome, which turned in to gold mine. He cant pull out any more tricks, so he just selling the company. If I would have made so much money I would sell it too and just live my life surrounded by sluts, drugs, fast cars and alcohol.

He even said it himself, that he does not want to be in charge of such huge franchise/company.

It will be interesting to see what Ms will do with it though. They cant really pull Minecraft out now from Sony consoles? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I can certainly understand Notch doing this. He always seemed extremely uncomfortable in public interviews, particularly at things like MineCon, so I can certainly understand him selling the company for his sanity.

The question does remain though, why sell to Microsoft? Sure, they've had the xBox version, so they would have been working closely with Mojang for that, but it does go against a lot of what Notch has said publicly in the past.

At the end of the day though, I have to say it: I'm worried for Minecraft.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I can certainly understand Notch doing this. He always seemed extremely uncomfortable in public interviews, particularly at things like MineCon, so I can certainly understand him selling the company for his sanity.

The question does remain though, why sell to Microsoft? Sure, they've had the xBox version, so they would have been working closely with Mojang for that, but it does go against a lot of what Notch has said publicly in the past.

At the end of the day though, I have to say it: I'm worried for Minecraft.

Money change what people say.

Knowing about MS Cock blocking Policies, I am a bit worried about the future of Minecraft. As I said before, surely MS cant pull Minecraft from Sony platforms now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement