Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I know, we need a **** truck of salt, but those numbers look extremely disappointing. And I have a feeling, that it wont be too far away from real numbers. Looks like they did same **** again as with other 2 generations.
    Few months later there will be 980ti too...

It all boils down to pricing now. If its prices with usual "more performance, but more expensive" then we are back in squire one and its another disappointing generation.

20% speed increase for 980 over 780.looks good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

twinsen wrote: »

Not really, specially when we are looking to power up 4k monitors. On top of that we don't know pricing. If it will be priced like nvidia did it for last few gens, then they will price 980 20% more then 780, which makes it same **** again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

In context, it's a very impressive card if the rumoured TDP of 170W is true. Although that's not much use to those of us who just want more fps.

twinsen wrote: »

Just to add:
    No point comparing it to 780, you should compare it to 780ti as that is the fastest single gpu card Nvidia offers. It actually makes 980 look even worse. Overclocked 780ti vs overclocked 980 has a difference of 2%?

The low TDP does sound nice, but it is only a secondary important thing. We all look at performance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Random bit of info as TDPs are floating around. Got a cheapy in-line power monitor thingy today, and did a quick test of my rig running Prime and Furmark, then some Star Citizen.

Max power I could pull was 402W, from the wall. That's about 340W through the PSU.

3570K @ 4.5/1.3, 780 @ +100 core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im a bit shocked.

I got a new motherboad but no motherboard screws

wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Headshot wrote: »
    Im a bit shocked.

I got a new motherboad but no motherboard screws

wtf

They come with cases not mobos :D

game4it70 wrote: »
    They come with cases not mobos :D

not always true. Iv had numerous motherboards in the past and they always came with the motherboard

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-264-MS

I need 9 screws for this bad boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

has any one ever bought anything of pixmania ? are they any good ? whats deliverery time like?

not always true. Iv had numerous motherboards in the past and they always came with the motherboard

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-264-MS

I need 9 screws for this bad boy
    Really? i've never gotten screws with any mobos.

I've loads of spares you can have.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Really? i've never gotten screws with any mobos.

I've loads of spares you can have.

Thanks for the offer but I got some to spare. Granted a mixture of types but they will do.

I have different worries. USB3 pins are slightly bent. Its like OC sent me a refurnished mobo.

Thanks for the offer but I got some to spare. Granted a mixture of types but they will do.

I have different worries. USB3 pins are slightly bent. Its like OC sent me a refurnished mobo.

Thats odd,any other signs of it being used?
    I'd send them a webnote about it or post in the customer service section of their forums.I've found them good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone else had HWVS misprint the address on the label before? IIRC this happened before. Checking the site the "Address Line 2" part is missing, Id never have entered my address the way its in there now so Im wondering if they updated and mis-parsed stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ED E wrote: »
    Has anyone else had HWVS misprint the address on the label before? IIRC this happened before. Checking the site the "Address Line 2" part is missing, Id never have entered my address the way its in there now so Im wondering if they updated and mis-parsed stuff?

Actually if I recall correctly they did that to my address too and I had to go pick it up from DHL. The address was just frozenfrozen, Co. Clare, Ireland. With an post it would have still got to me :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually if I recall correctly they did that to my address too and I had to go pick it up from DHL. The address was just frozenfrozen, Co. Clare, Ireland. With an post it would have still got to me :D.

Exactly. Mine is Mr. ED E - [House Name] 00 - DUB14 Dublin

Ive called UPS and their warehouse is going to update the package soon so at least I wont have to collect it.

Ive squeezed as much as I can into the available field for future orders but its a bit dud for such a high volume ordering system.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Anyone know if a 260x and a g1620 CPU will play bf4 on a 1680x1050 monitor alright?
    Which will bottle neck first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MRTULES wrote: »
    Anyone know if a 260x and a g1620 CPU will play bf4 on a 1680x1050 monitor alright?
    Which will bottle neck first?

Depends on the game. That's nice cheap setup for a mid/low res monitor though. Generally the GPU will bottle neck first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Playing BF4 online the G1620 will bottleneck first and noticably. It's a lot slower than something like a €50 current gen pentium G3220. Would be OK for some games that are primarily GPU dependent but BF4 online is taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Playing BF4 online the G1620 will bottleneck first and noticably. It's a lot slower than something like a €50 current gen pentium G3220. Would be OK for some games that are primarily GPU dependent but BF4 online is taxing.

My VRM gets insanely hot when I had a stock cooler it would go pretty high as well, how ever I havent played it in months as well let not go there :(

I might load it back up and set it up when i get my system back up and running as i would be curious to see how it gos with mantle...

Incredibly frustrating seeing people respond to the new iphones. Talking about benchmarks and pixel density when they are probably posting from a 2008 prebuilt pc with a 720p lcd monitor

Not to start an android vs ios debate here at all (no really, please don't!)

Gorgeous looking phones, too expensive for me at the moment. I'd rather go X99 and keep the iphone 5 for another couple of years!

• Advertisement

Incredibly frustrating seeing people respond to the new iphones. Talking about benchmarks and pixel density when they are probably posting from a 2008 prebuilt pc with a 720p lcd monitor

Not to start an android vs ios debate here at all (no really, please don't!)

Gorgeous looking phones, too expensive for me at the moment. I'd rather go X99 and keep the iphone 5 for another couple of years!

In my option high end phones are just pretty much useless now. Who the **** needs 4k in their mobile phone?! I got 1080p right now and I dont know why!
    I got my phone ( Experia Z ) now for almost 18 months. My contract runs in early october. I dont see a single phone that I would take over me Z and feel like its improvement. I think ill just keep it and save up my upgrade as my bill is only 30eu anyway or go on a piss cheap plan.

All the phone manufacturers just running out of ideas. Why instead of making huge stupid screens, they cant just improve battery instead!

^Indeed.

Give me a decent-ish ~5.0" phone with a high-quality 720p display, nice thin bezels, and a massive-ass battery, and I'd be happy.

But no, instead we get treated to 2560 ultra-thin crap. Oh, and let's not forget the 4K video capture either. Everyone recording a ten second clip of their cat to put on Youtube must be thrilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Anybody with the guts of 2 grand burning a hole in their pocket!?

Asus ROG Ares III AMD Radeon Dual Core R9 290X

GX-351-AS_96610_350.jpg

Wonder if there will be much performance difference with the R9 295 X2, or will the premium just be for the svelte looks :pac:

The R9 295 X2 was £700 a couple of days ago on overclockers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

That is gorgeous

Really don't understand why a graphics card needs a carrying case though!:confused:

In my option high end phones are just pretty much useless now. Who the **** needs 4k in their mobile phone?! I got 1080p right now and I dont know why!
    I got my phone ( Experia Z ) now for almost 18 months. My contract runs in early october. I dont see a single phone that I would take over me Z and feel like its improvement. I think ill just keep it and save up my upgrade as my bill is only 30eu anyway or go on a piss cheap plan.

All the phone manufacturers just running out of ideas. Why instead of making huge stupid screens, they cant just improve battery instead!
    The Three 20 euro deal is great, unlimited texts and data, unlimited calls to other three people and unlimited calls to all mobiles are the weekend (unlimited being 3k texts 3k minutes and 3tB of data). Although it says no tethering and no 4G included, I can tether 4G to my laptop and have done for up to 30gb in one month and nobody noticed/cared/throttled anything!

..I don't work for three I promise
    Serephucus wrote: »
    ^Indeed.

Give me a decent-ish ~5.0" phone with a high-quality 720p display, nice thin bezels, and a massive-ass battery, and I'd be happy.

But no, instead we get treated to 2560 ultra-thin crap. Oh, and let's not forget the 4K video capture either. Everyone recording a ten second clip of their cat to put on Youtube must be thrilled!

The obsession with dpi is absurd, I can't even see pixels on my 27" 1440p monitor, let alone individual pixels on a 5" 1080 screen.

the iphone is going in the right direction with framerate, stabilisation, and bitrate rather than just resolution like on the phones shooting 4k that only look good if you're viewing them at 4k... on a 5" screen.

I've had to buy an external battery for my phone, big chunky 15k mha one, unnoticeable in a big jacket but obviously unreasonable without that or a bag.

If lifeproof made a case that also had an equivalent of 200% battery, they could sell thousands of the things. All the phones are lacking battery life at the moment, and carrying any of the phones bareback without a case is taking your life into your hands with how fragile screens are.

iWatch could serve to save a good bit of battery if you're using the little screen on your wrist to pass the time rather than swiping left and right on the homescreen trying to make yourself look busy in public, though :D

Crazy to see how much people are willing to pay for phones again though, it's gone full circle from the release of mobile phones, the mid 2000s where a tiny cheap phone was completely acceptable and now the low end phones are still a couple of hundred to several hundred!

That is gorgeous

Really don't understand why a graphics card needs a carrying case though!:confused:

Why not?

Buyer buys a badass card, buyer can be a boss with his briefcase

Why not?

Buyer buys a badass card, buyer can be a boss with his briefcase

briefcase is for holding all the unmarked 50 euro notes it costs to buy one of the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd love to be rich just so I could do ridiculous things like spend 1k on a gpu that comes in an aluminum flight case and then pair it with a 60 euro G3258, a €20 case, 4gb of ram and troll people on other forums with pictures.

Hi guys I just build this Pc for games, my friend pick the parts for me he said they were the best wat do u think...

GTY_popcorn2_kab_140307_16x9_608.jpg

Don't forget the 900D to put it all in!

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Don't forget the 900D to put it all in!

And a m-itx mobo :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement