Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists wearing big Headphones. Safe or Not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Larianne wrote: »
    Both have mirrors.

That's right.......and people use them all the time.......don't they?

So if I stick mirrors on my bike, there'll be no objection to me wearing headphones?

Incidentally, I've noticed that getting married had a bigger impact on my hearing than any headphones ever had - I've developed a very selective form of deafness:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Zulu wrote: »
    Maybe the headphones were connected to a device that amplifies the sounds of the environment surrounding the cyclist. Did you ever think of that?

thats not that safe really? what if a truck is passing close to them? or a truck/car/bus blasts their horn, it's going to deafen them and cause them to suddenly react erratically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

danrua01 wrote: »
    Irish and EU legislation requires that a driver should advise their driver licensing authority of any long-term or permanent injury or illness that may affect their safe driving ability.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

So my question still stands, how do deaf drivers do it?

Letting the licensing authority know of your impairment is not going to make a difference in the scenario you constructed earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

hoodwinked wrote: »
    thats not that safe really? what if a truck is passing close to them? or a truck/car/bus blasts their horn, it's going to deafen them and cause them to suddenly react erratically...
    Well, I didn't think of that.

What if they are actually partially deaf, and require the device to amplify the environmental sound to normal levels? Like a fancy hearing aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

wazky wrote: »
    So my question still stands, how do deaf drivers do it?

Letting the licensing authority know of your impairment is not going to make a difference in the scenario you constructed earlier on.

I'm not in the position to tell you how they do it, but I'm sure if I was in that position I'd make sure I had some sort of hearing aid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I think it's unsafe. I hate seeing it. Cyclists with headphones and no helmets are IMO mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

So the title thread is cyclists wearing big headphones. Safe or not? So define big. I'm assuming then small headphones are ok? Even in ear noise cancelling headphones as long as they aren't big?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I cycle with one earphone in and the music quite low as doing a 80km cycle on your todd can get quite boring. The music doesn't affect my hearing and I can still hear cars approaching no different than if there was no music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

My brother goes cycling & running for hours on end with headphones on, he's a long distance triathlete so clocks up many miles.

Now he's going deaf, I'm convinced it's to do with wearing headphones for decades but he's in denial when I tell he should get his hearing checked.

He's now almost shouting instead of taking, and can't hear me speaking from behind or to the side of him. Only when I'm directly facing him.

WHAT?? SPEAK UP PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

czechlin wrote: »
    I think it's unsafe. I hate seeing it. Cyclists with headphones and no helmets are IMO mad.

Have you ever cycled without a helmet? if so do you consider yourself mad?

Ask your parents or grand parents if they ever cycled without a helmet.

Do you think people going out drinking without helmets are mad, logic would say you would, as its a far more risky business.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you ever cycled without a helmet? if so do you consider yourself mad?

Ask your parents or grand parents if they ever cycled without a helmet.

Do you think people going out drinking without helmets are mad, logic would say you would, as its a far more risky business.

Seeing cyclists swinging among cars in a busy traffic with headphones on (which prevents to wear a helmet) is unsafe. It's my opinion and I don't need to justify it. If you don't like it, that's fine.

You can definitely get knocked over by a bus in the pub.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its unsafe,
    But then its unsafe as a motorists listening to loud music as well (stereo turned up)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

It means nothing to say that it is unsafe. It's not as safe as cycling without headphones. But we all live with risk to some degree, it's just a case of how we manage it and act to mitigate it. So it's basically down to the person on the bike. There's not much more to be said about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I knew it! Is nowhere safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

czechlin wrote: »
    It's my opinion and I don't need to justify it.
    Yeah, you'd have a fucking hard time trying to.

I love exposing the mad irrationality and hypocrisy that cycling helmets brings out in people. Worrying to think such people might be behind the wheel of a car though...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Anyone who willingly removes one of their main senses when riding something as vulnerable to other traffic as a bicycle is not the full shilling from my point of view.

Yeah, you'd have a fucking hard time trying to.

I love exposing the mad irrationality and hypocrisy that cycling helmets brings out in people. Worrying to think such people might be behind the wheel of a car though...

Wow, I obviously stepped on somebody's toe.
    I had a bad accident on a bike and I was glad I wore a helmet. It's the same when I had a really bad accident on rollerblades where I was extremely glad I wore the knee and hand protectors because my kneecap would be gone otherwise. My opinion is down to my own experience.
    It's obviously your soft spot, I'm no keyboard warrior and I'm not interested in arguments.

And just for the record, when I drive I take everyone into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭emo72

wearing small in ear monitors will totally isolate your hearing from the outside world. It makes no difference really. At least with big over headphones motorists will know they won't be fully aware and be cautious when approaching cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Research indicates that wearing a helmet will, in some instances, reduce your risk of head injury should you come off your bike.

Research also indicates that wearing a helmet will, in some instances, reduce your risk of head injury should crash your car.

Wear a helmet while driving a car and people will think you're an idiot.

Don't wear a helmet while riding a bike and people will think you're an idiot.

Many people have a weird logical blind spot when it comes to risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

gandalf wrote: »
    Anyone who willingly removes one of their main senses when riding something as vulnerable to other traffic as a bicycle is not the full shilling from my point of view.

Why does a cyclist need to hear traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cars with a roof and windows - safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Research indicates that wearing a helmet will, in some instances, reduce your risk of head injury should you come off your bike.

Research also indicates that wearing a helmet will, in some instances, reduce your risk of head injury should crash your car.

I've also seen it argued that wearing a helmet gives you a false sense of security. At least in a car I've got a seatbelt, airbad and all manner of safety equipment around me. I am not *definitely* going to die if I'm in an accident. On a bike I'm at the mercy of the laws of physics and biology. A helmet just gives me a little bit more security that something designed to stop me from getting hurt may just do that.

Anyway, on topic, anyone (be they cyclist or motorist) who drowns out the sound of other traffic is just looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Cyclists with legs for arms. Safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why does a cyclist need to hear traffic?

The more aware you are of your surroundings the better.

An example, you are happily cycling along the road listening to your favourite band on your headphones. You swerve out a bit to avoid a pothole. Unfortunately you didn't hear the car accelerating rapidly behind you and are swiped off your bike and into the path and seriously injured.

If you hadn't impeded your hearing you would have been aware because of the sound of the revving engine that a car was approaching at speed and you would have slowed down not swerving out on the road to avoid the pothole.

You need all your senses because a lot of drivers in this country do not consider the cyclists on the roads when they are driving. As a driver I see it every day. I have even been guilty of it a few times where I have overtaken a cyclist on a tight road not giving them enough room if any "surprise" happened.

If you have a crash in a car with another car at least you have some protection (obviously at high speed your bunched). If a car hits a cyclist then the cyclist will normally be seriously injured. Why would you willingly remove one of the senses that you have to mitigate against this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

The conduct of cyclists is rarely safe in any case.
    Don't let the insurance or CSO stats get in the way of your brain fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

of course its not safe. not only do you dim one of your senses you also partly distract yourself from the task at hand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wearing a helmet also protects your hearing.......from family members nagging you to wear a helmet even when cycling down to the shops.

However, wearing a Helmut can cause neck strain.

Advertisement