Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists wearing big Headphones. Safe or Not?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Surely this is impeding their ability to be completely aware of whats happening around them?

This thread isn't just a "Have a go at Cyclists" thread, but I saw one wearing big, over the ear, headphones today and just thought it was pretty poor judgement when driving in/around Cork City (maybe in a rural area it might be more acceptable depending on the road/area).

I remember being told off for using headphones when I 1st started driving and rightly so, it's not the same as haven the radio on, it's more immersive and allows you to hear less around you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It's unsafe. Worse than motorists who wear earphones too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Deaf cyclists. Safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Quiet hybrid engines. Safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The conduct of cyclists is rarely safe in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Same with drivers with earphones in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Anyone who effectively disables one of the major senses while out on a public road - pedestrian, cyclist or motorist of any sort - is barking mad as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Cyclists with no legs, safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

jimgoose wrote: »
    Anyone who effectively disables one of the major senses while out on a public road - pedestrian,

I'd have to disagree with the Pedestrian one as they have dedicated lanes (footpaths) where they are not competing with 2 tonne weights propelling at them at 60kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Leggs nightclub with headphones, safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

safe...depending on the cyclist.

some cyclist do be in a world of their own with the music on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

How much can motorcyclists hear with a lid on and visor down?

......or a driver in car with the choooones blasting out?

Personally, if I was cycling around Cork city I'd want to isolate myself as much as possible from the 'experience'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It's unsafe. Worse than motorists who wear earphones too.
    danrua01 wrote: »
    Same with drivers with earphones in..
    I have earphones in all the time when driving because I use them as a hands free kit. There's never anything playing. The only thing that you need your ears for when driving are sirens, and usually if you keep you're eyes open you will see the flashing lights anyway.

tobsey wrote: »
    I have earphones in all the time when driving because I use them as a hands free kit. There's never anything playing. The only thing that you need your ears for when driving are sirens, and usually if you keep you're eyes open you will see the flashing lights anyway.

Not necessarily, the ambulance could be coming right round a corner behind you. If you only see the lights before hearing the siren you could cause a blockage. Furthermore, you need your hearing for potential danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

theenergy wrote: »
    safe...depending on the cyclist.

some cyclist do be in a world of their own with the music on...

Gee - was that a set of pearly gates I just passed ? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

tobsey wrote: »
    I have earphones in all the time when driving because I use them as a hands free kit.

Isn't that illegal?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Not necessarily, the ambulance could be coming right round a corner behind you. If you only see the lights before hearing the siren you could cause a blockage. Furthermore, you need your hearing for potential danger.

How do deaf drivers get on then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe the headphones could incorporate some lights and be constructed from hi-vis material.

wazky wrote: »
    How do deaf drivers get on then?

Irish and EU legislation requires that a driver should advise their driver licensing authority of any long-term or permanent injury or illness that may affect their safe driving ability.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I find it safer wearing headphones. It's harder to steer if I'm carrying a ghetto blaster on my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Maybe the headphones were connected to a device that amplifies the sounds of the environment surrounding the cyclist. Did you ever think of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

XlwzOjf.jpg

Hearing might not be the only issue ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've things called mirrors. I can move safely out the way as soon as I see hazards.

I've a thing called a neck, my head attaches to it, it also let's me see what's around me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I've things called mirrors. I can move safely out the way as soon as I see hazards.
    I've a thing called a neck, my head attaches to it, it also let's me see what's around me.
    You do have some neck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭purplepanda

My brother goes cycling & running for hours on end with headphones on, he's a long distance triathlete so clocks up many miles.

Now he's going deaf, I'm convinced it's to do with wearing headphones for decades but he's in denial when I tell he should get his hearing checked.

He's now almost shouting instead of taking, and can't hear me speaking from behind or to the side of him. Only when I'm directly facing him.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wouldn't wear headphones while cycling at all - you need all your wits about you with the amount of absolute muppets on the road, I wouldn't want an important sense dulled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Something under the floorboards, safe or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with the Pedestrian one as they have dedicated lanes (footpaths) where they are not competing with 2 tonne weights propelling at them at 60kph.

They sure are competing with the behemoths when crossing the carriageway though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

A cyclist/motorist thread in AH?

Yea.....this is going to be constructive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Jawgap wrote: »
    How much can motorcyclists hear with a lid on and visor down?

......or a driver in car with the choooones blasting out?

Personally, if I was cycling around Cork city I'd want to isolate myself as much as possible from the 'experience'

Both have mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

As a cyclist, I don't feel safe with headphones in.

As a motorist, I don't like seeing cyclists with headphones in because I know the feeling and I squirm a little bit.

The guys/gals who eschew the helmet in favour of a massive set of Beats headphones are the worst though... those things sound like ****e.

Advertisement