Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Problem Tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you got a solicitor yet? You've been advised to get one several times. Now this.

You need to stop wringing your hands and jump on this immediately!! GET A SOLICITOR. Meanwhile, give the tenant notice you're coming round to bleed the rads and inspect the place (You might as well!). Do it in writing, since the tenant is now playing the fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Have you got a solicitor yet? You've been advised to get one several times. Now this.

You need to stop wringing your hands and jump on this immediately!! GET A SOLICITOR. Meanwhile, give the tenant notice you're coming round to bleed the rads and inspect the place (You might as well!). Do it in writing, since the tenant is now playing the fool.

Do exactly this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd also start keeping a diary of events. Put everything in writing, since you'll be needing it for the PRTB...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 agrange

I consulted two solicitors and got different views. One said that he could do nothing until it goes to the PRTB and the other said he would handle for me thru the PRTB but quoted me very high fees. He said he couldn't pursue tenants until it goes thru PRTB.

I am at present preparing documentation for the PRTB. Is it better letting a solicitor handle the PRTB process?

I'll arrange to inspect the property and get rads bled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Field east

Hav read thru all posts.
    (1) your objective is , I assume to max your net income from the property so the following pts
    (2) The Irish Property Owners Association (IPOA) can provide you with all the required letters , lease agreements, rent books and advice over the phone, by e-mail. I hav used them and found them v good.
    (3) if you join the IPOA and ring them you may decide that you may not need a solicitor - at least not for the moment.
    (4) the documentation/procedure re an eviction is very clear and very simple. The problem though is twofold. ie the tenant may not leave and worst still may not pay the rent.
    (5)the tenant will be four years into the lease in a few months. As per regs you can automatically terminate the lease without a reason but make sure that u give the required notice. So you could do a deal with tenant and string them along until then.
    (6) be as hands on as you can - as long as it does not cost you too much. Eg. Get a key and bleed the rads. Can the back/front of the house be made look better be getting rid of a few bushes, removing leaves, repositioning things, etc. Buy a good DIY book re rad bleeding etc.
    This strategy allows you to keep an eye on things and you are seen as trying to respond to reasonable requests made.
    (7) keep as much away from the PRTB as you can. It is unyielding ,very time consuming and costly - especially if a solicitor is involved.
    (8) have everything in writing. Rely on nothing verbal. Be very clear on what you want to say and give dates where required.
    (9) point out that you need the increased rent to meet repayments- as it was at an unsustainable level- so you have to get it. If you had the option you would have no problem at leaving it as it is or a smaller increase.
    (10) find the path thru your problem which will cause least hassle, least times spent , least cost and most income/least loss. A bit of trading off between these is required
    In summary , you may have gone too far down the road re some of the points but you can still do the rads for example. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Field east wrote: »
    (9) point out that you need the increased rent to meet repayments- as it was at an unsustainable level- so you have to get it. If you had the option you would have no problem at leaving it as it is or a smaller increase.

This is irrelevant to the tenant. The landlord's financial situation is none of their business and rent increases are only covered in the legislation to be increased in line with market rates not on mortgage repayments or other costs.

The rest of your advice is pretty solid.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Field East, please don't use text speak in your posts - it's against the charter.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If the tenant is in rent arrears why would you send a plumber around to fix the radiators?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As others have said you now need to stay the course with the hearing and go legal with it. Tenant has been very stupid in what they done with the way the rental market is at the moment , you seem like a decent landlord and they are very much taking the piss out of you.

With regards the heating , send a letter in writing that the heating cannot be reviewed at present as there is outstanding arrears on the rent , also remind them that the lease has now been terminated with 28 days notice. I wouldn't bother my hole fixing the heating , anything that gets them out quicker.

I know they have a daughter, but you can't let them pull on your heart string's , his attitude got him into this mess and you need your property back and rental income.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

groovyg wrote: »
    If the tenant is in rent arrears why would you send a plumber around to fix the radiators?

It's no use playing silly buggers with problem tenants. The PRTB will look at it as such. It's better to meet your own obligations and outline the other party as being in the wrong.

A plumber is overkill though, the OP could do this themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds like they are completely taking the piss... Sure when they moved in did they not sign a lease and agree to rent the house. With things happening fine as a landlord you should fix things like heating, oven if it breaks but things like tiling and that doing that without your permission is mad, even the carpet thing is mad they should have paid for all of that as it was something they wanted.. It sounds like they are treating the house as their own not as leasers..

I know with our place like I had a few dissagrements with the landlord as the roof was damp and that and went to the PRTB and they told me more or less sort it out with the landlord.. Things like bleeding the rads is easy for a man not to know how to do this is actually really bad... With regards to anything that happens in the house, like small things we fix but make sure and agree with the landlord beforehand. Like we want to paint the place, the landlord done it but got his kids to do it and tis crap, so we want to paint it again and he said fine but we have to pay.. I still think he should but feck it well do it.. It really sounds like they are taking the piss id nearly get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Go over to the house with a friendly plumber that you know, and who you give business to (handy to know a jack-of-trades for jobs which you can't do).

Or in other words, go over with a witness, so there's no "he-said she-said". Bring a camera to take photos of the "rads", and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Go over to the house with a friendly plumber that you know, and who you give business to (handy to know a jack-of-trades for jobs which you can't do).

Or in other words, go over with a witness, so there's no "he-said she-said". Bring a camera to take photos of the "rads", and everything else.

Agreed - but make sure you give the requisite notice. Play everything 100% by the book. Document everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep isn't it 24 hours notice... It should be in the lease agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I really feel for you OP. Sometimes renting out a property just isn't worth it. I know what id feel like doing to them anyway that's for sure :-)
    Sorry I have no helpful advice, just sympathies!!

Advertisement