Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Questions/Chat Regarding GR

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Evidence, yes it can be hard to prove anything without evidence! Now, where did I put that evidence bag? :p

I think he means: "Where did I put that glue bag?"

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

Until you said the appeals process is flawed I thought you were a troll, now I see you are a troll who didn't come up to the standard. So you appealed, and failed that too, go away unsuccessful troll/applicant !

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

hopeful8 wrote: »
    Until you said the appeals process is flawed I thought you were a troll, now I see you are a troll who didn't come up to the standard. So you appealed, and failed that too, go away unsuccessful troll/applicant !

You are assuming I was unsuccessful! :p Troll?

You are full of brains, eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Keep it civil and on topic, that goes for everyone

-KERSPLAT!

billie1b wrote: »
    Whats the difference between a real member of An Garda Siochana and a Reserve Member?? :D

The Garda Reserve is the Joke by the way
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭pah

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Oh, there is noting wrong with the recruitment process then at all (a Chief Superintendent and a former Assistant Garda Commissioner) must be wrong so...? It is wonderful! A fantastic model (adopted from/based on a Scottish model) and give the Public Appointments Service a medal and a pat on the back for running it so efficiently all these years without a single eyebrow being raised by AGS, any government department or the general public!? The Public Appointments Service are very open and transparant too - Commissioners for Public Service Appointments (CPSA). Nothing to see here, move along now please (we are all civil servants here ;)).

..."The next stages included a medical, carried out by a registered medical practitioner, vetting overseen by the GCVU and a physical that set a higher standard than previously seen in any other AGS recruitment process. Again to me this all seems fair..."

...yes, you can pass all of that but you can still end up going nowhere, be left in limbo and told nothing. Is that fair? I would say not and far from it for the hundreds of candidates who ended up in this situation over the past 20 or so years (same with the last of the 2008 Garda Trainee Campaign in 2010). Again...nothing to see here, move along now please (go apply again in 2013)!

You would not interview 25,000 people. No, well done! You get a promotion there for that analysis and detective work.

Compare it to 1997's/1998's recruitment campaigns and after a 3/4 year recruitment gap, is it relatively low if you take into consideration there is currently a huge unemployment level in and emigration out of Ireland. You would have expected at least 40,000 - 50,000 plus interest or initial applications, all be it potentially for only '100', 200? - 300? jobs as full-time Gardaí.

As for the intake of 100, although a seperate (but related issue, really)...is meaningless and is an insult to the Force because of this current government's measly token gesture. Are we likely to see the other 100 - 200 join? I very much doubt it! Possibly though in 2016, in time for the next General Election stunt. As we all know Fine Gael do not recruit Gardaí. The country needs 17,000 - 20,000 Gardaí for the increase size/growth of population that has occured over the past 10 years in Ireland. AGS is at least 5,000 - 7,000 members short.

They are not taking in the right candidates into the Force. Most have very little copon or common sense!

The recruitment process in flawed. The appeals mechanism is flawed! Next, the only way to apply will be you have to be standing on Mount Everest, standing one leg with your Apple iphone at 12 midnight on December the 31st!

If you think you get the best or better candidates by making the application for the Gardaí harder, you are wrong! You will just loose public interest and potentially loose a far better quality of candidate who may choose to join another Police Force or take an entire different career altogether.

Having not really pointed out what you think is wrong, even after all that rambling once again ~ how would you do it differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

According to an article in the papers today 24 of the 100 new recruits were former reserves (including my brother) . What a wonderful achievement for those who gave their time and commitment without any indication it would help them achieve their dream job.

Give us all hope for future recruitment and finally puts an end to the those who were so strong in their views that the reserve was a complete waste of time.

Well done to you all both reserve and non reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

tg123 wrote: »
    According to an article in the papers today 24 of the 100 new recruits were former reserves (including my brother) . What a wonderful achievement for those who gave their time and commitment without any indication it would help them achieve their dream job.

Give us all hope for future recruitment and finally puts an end to the those who were so strong in their views that the reserve was a complete waste of time.

To be honest, the 76 that were not reserves deserve a round too, they went in blind with no job experience and made it through to the top of the 25,000, they're the ones who made the biggest achievement, well done to one and all down there

To be honest, the 76 that were not reserves deserve a round too, they went in blind with no job experience and made it through to the top of the 25,000, they're the ones who made the biggest achievement, well done to one and all down there

I did applaud those who where not reserves. I think its great but it does give the Garda Reserve that much needed boost , all those critics who at the mere mention of the reserve seem to get on to their soap boxes, it is something to think about when it is claimed that the reserve serves no purpose. Of course this is just my own opinion but then been I am a reserve so am slightly bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Without any indication? Everyone knew it was entry to a reserve not a full time force but everyone also knew it would be a help if you got to interview stage in the full time recruitment process, well done to your brother but spare me the drama!

• Advertisement

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Without any indication? Everyone knew it was entry to a reserve not a full time force but everyone also knew it would be a help if you got to interview stage in the full time recruitment process, well done to your brother but spare me the drama!

No drama here Shady, your opinions on the reserve are well know but even you cant argue that the numbers speak for themself and that the reserve is here to stay no matter what the critics say. For myself and the other 1200 plus members it is a little light of hope that we are spending our time effectively and that our contributions will be recognised in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I think it says the opposite. If it was so good of a "Stepping stone" you would expect to see more than just 24.

Chances are there's an equal number of candidates that came from a sales background, dosnt mean that's the reason they got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaulMCKM

What is involved in the recruitment process to become a reserve? Do they undergo the same process as a full time member?

mfergus wrote: »
    I think it says the opposite. If it was so good of a "Stepping stone" you would expect to see more than just 24.

Chances are there's an equal number of candidates that came from a sales background, dosnt mean that's the reason they got in.

You would have to ask the interview panel that question but it is great to see the reserve been represented , all good in my opinion and perhaps for the next intake it may be even higher you just cant tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

PaulMCKM wrote: »
    What is involved in the recruitment process to become a reserve? Do they undergo the same process as a full time member?

They don't do aptitude tests. They do an interview and a medical but no fitness test.

ann.lewis wrote: »
    They don't do aptitude tests. They do an interview and a medical but no fitness test.

You forgot to mention the report writing test

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

You forgot to mention the report writing test

I forgot to mention the report writing test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Any indication as to when the Guards might be recruiting again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Quick question relating to Gardaí, when they are training and when they are full members of the force.

Are there rigid guidelines relating to where they can be stationed.

Is stationing someone in or near their homeplace just generally avoided or are there more formal rules or laws relating to it.

Only curious. Was comparing policing with some Americans. I find the idea of electing a Sheriff for example, a bit nuts.

Don't wish to derail the topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Quick question relating to Gardaí, when they are training and when they are full members of the force.

Are there rigid guidelines relating to where they can be stationed.

Is stationing someone in or near their homeplace just generally avoided or are there more formal rules or laws relating to it.

Only curious. Was comparing policing with some Americans. I find the idea of electing a Sheriff for example, a bit nuts.

Don't wish to derail the topic. Thanks.

I think its supposed to 25km or 25 miles from where they live but its not enforced rigidly I think, few lads I went to school with are based in our local station and still live in the area and a couple of others are in the next station over, all part of the one areas juristiction and they live close by too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Fair enough, thanks for that.

Just an idea of the forward thinking in relation to the UK Specials

Quote:
    Special constables could be paid an annual tax free bounty in the same way as their counterparts in the Territorial Army, under new plans at a force.

Anthony Stansfield, Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Thames Valley, said the move would attract high-quality candidates – and crucially help to retain them.

He also stressed that the annual payment would reward those clocking up the greatest number of hours, and send a message that commitment was highly prized.

There has been an historic power to pay specials a bounty, which was amended in 2003 to make it the responsibility of individual forces to set the level of, subject to Home Office approval.

Mr Stansfield said that the measure was being considered in order to cope with cuts to force budgets, as increasing the use of special constables could help efficiency.

In the Territorial Army, personnel are paid a bounty and are required to attend annual training weekends and camps each year. They are also expected to maintain the level of fitness required for their role and paid a full time rate if mobilised on operations.

Retention assistance

Mr Stansfield – a former soldier who served with the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets and the Army Air Corps – said: “I do not see why Armed Forces personnel should get a bounty and special constables should not. It would help with retention.

“It could be used as an incentive if volunteer police officers put in so many hours. It costs a lot to train specials, and I think a payment would help retention a great deal.”

Last year, Northamptonshire PCC Adam Simmonds proposed creating a paid, part-time reserve police force. This measure was then revised in favour of setting up a payment for specials who served for more than their minimum required hours.

However this plan has also been dropped – with the force saying it was rejected by the volunteer officers themselves.

A spokeswoman told PoliceOracle.com: “They told us they would prefer the money to be spent on equipment but also that money was not a driver in persuading them to sign-up, it was more about volunteering and making a difference where they live.

“Following this and a review on the sustainability of paying a bounty, it was decided that it was not an appropriate course for us to take.”

Assistant Chief Officer James Deller, Secretary of the Association of Special Constabulary Chief Officers (ASCCO), said that while the principle of paying specials was sound it had often historically become complicated by red tape.

He added: “People currently join to provide a service to support the public. If you pay specials you might get people joining for monetary reasons. I think it is more important that specials get the proper recognition for the contribution they make to the community.”

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Any indication as to when the Guards might be recruiting again?

Never, if this government have their way. The Minister for Justice said the other day they have made no committment to taking on anymore than the current 100.

I think its supposed to 25km or 25 miles from where they live but its not enforced rigidly I think, few lads I went to school with are based in our local station and still live in the area and a couple of others are in the next station over, all part of the one areas juristiction and they live close by too.

You are meant to be 20 miles (minimum) away from your home town. Our local station has a chap 15 miles from his home town. Seems to expections for some.

Same with husband and wives working in the same town, but again expections seem to have been made with a few eyebrows raised.

pah wrote: »
    Having not really pointed out what you think is wrong, even after all that rambling once again ~ how would you do it differently?

I would not copy the model from another county for a start. I would not allow candidates to be able to do tests online without be supervised either! It does not take a genuis to figure how to get around that recruitment process with the use of modern technology.

And if you see nothing wrong with the current recruitment proccess, well then you are not using your intelligence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That's what you wouldn't do. What would you do, taking financial and time constraints into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Anybody think the possible collapse of the government could put a halt on recruitment in 2015 or at least delay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

One can never be too sure but I do believe that since they have reopened the college and re-staffed it there a pretty good chance that the plan is to keep it open for the foreseeable future as numbers nee to be maintained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement