Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Covieland

Few pictures of the new road crossing the train tracks on the Westport side of Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Great pics, just needs the crash barrier and some lines painted and it's ready to go!

Basically everything from around Islandeady eastwards is well advanced. West of Islandeady a lot more work is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The roundabout at the existing n5 isn't even started yet.

The future Castlebar West junction between the new and the old N5. Planned completion date for the project is now Q2 2023. Pic from Mayo co co.

I took advantage of the good weather today to check out progress on the Westport end of the scheme.

First the N59 realignment, these pics were taken near the northern end the N59 section, top pic is looking south towards Westport, and the bottom one is looking north to the tie-in with the Kilmeena realignment. This bit is quite advanced, but the Barleyhill section between here and Westport is way behind, with earthworks not yet complete.

Piling has restarted at the boggy section of the Westport relief road at Attireesh. The contractor had run into trouble here as mentioned upthread.

Work has started on the roundabout on the Westport relief road behind Allergan.

Just outside the town, this is the view east from the Sheeaun road overbridge. Surfacing work is underway here and one of the future emergency lay-bys is visible in the distance.

• Advertisement

Big changes in Islandeady but the new overbridge is not yet open. Traffic is being diverted via the new cemetery road to the old N5. This is the view from the new cemetery road to the new N5. The land between the two roads has been planted with sapling trees so the view won't be around for long!

The Islandeady bridge is still under construction:

View from the bridge towards Westport, with stormwater attenuation ponds on right:

The newly realigned Islandeady road going north from the bridge. Some nasty bends here have been consigned to history:

Unlike Islandeady, two overbridges have recently opened to traffic - one beside Castlebar rugby club and one at Derradda, 5km from Westport.

First the Derradda bridge, from top the view towards Westport, toward Castlebar, and of the bridge itself.

The mainline is also progressing well as it passes Castlebar rugby club, as per these pics from the new horsepark road bridge.

There's still a lot of work to do around both bridges, including completion of parallel access roads and landscaping, but at least the bridges are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Wills bros apparently have pulled off the job since around St Patricks day and have not returned....

Very little going on on any section of the road.

Some nice new pics of the road crossing Lough Lannagh, from Jack Walsh drone photography:

More pics here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Any update on the Road ? Have the contractors walked off site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭muddle84

I drove from Newport to Westport this morning and there was plenty of work going on. Lots of machines working, I didn't see any machines parked up not working!

Yes, machines working, nothing or very little belonging to wills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Can you tell me why has Will Bros walked off the job and what impact do you think this will have ?

I saw one of their dozers working and Kirrane's machines too as well as other hire machines which would all have been hired into Wills as the main contractor. If the main contractor had walked offsite there would be no work happening at all.

FWIW, the road works speed limit orders for this scheme are being extended to 5 May 2023, which lines up with the Q2 completion date the council has been referring to recently.

A lot of the road could be finished before then, but there is still a lot of work to be done in the Westport area.

You could well be right, plenty of talk from businesses in the area about they have pulled off site.

Maybe someone can shed some light on the tendering process and contracts in relation to how fuel price rises are accounted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice

FWIW?

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

To the best of my knowledge the cost is locked in with the contract as is completion dates. Extras always appear and thats where the contractor will have increases in the agreed price. As far as i know diesel would be part of the fixed price so I would say that Wills are being hit hard with that as whatever contigency they would have allowed for wouldn't have accounted for the current situation.

If the main contractor walks off the site they are breaking their part of the contract and they won't get paid, and I think leave themselves open to being sued?

• Advertisement

Yes, may well be taken to court, but not probable I'd say. It's walk off site or go out of business, if the price of diesel is the issue.

No way any company could carry the price increase we have seen over the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

Could it just be that Wills have taken their own machinery off site and kept the subbies on board. Means they aren't exposed to the diesel price rises and the contractors take the pain. Not right but could be what they're doing.

Their machines are still on site and unless they've changed their approach they used always supply diesel to the sub contractors, so the sub contractors wouldn't be affected by diesel increases! Mind you its 10 odd years since I worked for a sub contractor for Wills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Are Wills actually off those job or is it just nonsense talk by said poster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As I posted elsewhere, if they'd walked off the job 6 weeks ago there would be far wider coverage by now than a single poster on boards.ie. Not a single media outlet has reported it, not even the local ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I suspect that all that’s happened is the contractor has re-scheduled some of their more fuel-hungry tasks that need heavy plant into the future, in the hope that the price of diesel will be lower by then.

With all this talk of Wills walking off site, I went for a look around the Westport end of the scheme today. There was a lot of activity and workers visible, as many as ever. There were Wills vans around too. The main things I noticed were:

Earthworks were in full swing on the N59 section and on the Westport relief road behind Allergan, with the giant Volvo trucks full of earth passing every 5 minutes along this section;

Pile driving was ongoing all morning on the boggy section of the Westport relief road;

There were loads (too many to count) of McGuire haulage trucks on the roads around Westport, I think they were hauling stone for the scheme;

Tie-in works were underway at the Sheeaun road overbridge with loads of stone being dropped and spread as I watched;

Surfacing of the mainline and installation of drainage is continuing east of Sheeaun, with concrete being poured today for the roadside drainage kerbs on the westbound lanes at Derradda, while the wearing course has just gone down on the eastbound lanes. There was so much construction traffic on the mainline passing under the Derradda bridge it looked like the road was already open 😀;

There was very visible progress in all the locations I visited compared to the last time I was there, only 2/3 weeks ago. Now some pics, not great quality so sorry about that. All from today.

Concrete being poured at Derradda:

Earthworks at Barleyhill:

Piling at Attireesh:

Volvo truck passing over the new greenway underpass on the N59:

And earthworks on the Westport relief road, at the new roundabout at the back of Allergan:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭HBC08

The overpass at Breaffy/kilkenny Cross is also opened as of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Advertisement