Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Well, there wasn’t (and isn’t) an unlimited budget available: If the choice was between bundling the N59 safety improvements into the N5 works, or providing a southern link road, then the N59 had to be the priority, given how poor that stretch of road is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

True, but as sure as night follows day, when they do build it, it will be more expensive than if it had of been bundled with the main project. For a few extra km's it does seem short sighted. But when we have a history of penny pinching on infrastructure projects it is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Agreed, but timing was the problem here. The N59 Barley Hill section was added on to this project at the last minute after ABP refused permission for widening the N5 to type 2 DC all the way to Turlough. The Barley Hill upgrade already had planning permission and the land had already been CPOd as part of the Westport to Mulranny scheme, so it was ready to go. The Westport southern relief road doesn't even have a detailed preferred route (only an approximate corridor), let alone planning permission or CPOs, so it couldn't have been done with the N5 scheme.

My family home is out the Leenane Road so I would love to see it built, but it will take years to go through all the TII project phases.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's better to limit size and complexity of construction projects to avoid scope creep and cost overruns. Keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thanks for the replies, was just curious. Appreciate the complexity of trying to get projects across the line.

• Advertisement

Newly opened Islandeady overbridge from above courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

What is the purple pipe being layed for the past few weeks, from Islandeady to Westport, causing extra delays?

Purple ducting is used for traffic control communications (signage, traffic counters, etc.) and sometimes lighting. It is definitely part of the original project, not “extra” work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm pretty sure it's not related to the N5 work considering it's on the old road. National broadband plan is my guess.

• Advertisement

Little video here of the new Greenway underpass at Barleyhill. Not officially open yet but looks nearly finished.

I cycled it last week, and it is the only route open on the greenway. I don't remember path being that dirty. In the video, there is a metal barrier blocking under a bridge, that wasn't there either.

A drone video of the whole route is available on the wills linked in page. Looks class.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/wills-bros-ltd_willsbamjv-n5w2t-mayo-ugcPost-6973678362615582720-2nkA?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android

The Castlebar side it pretty much finished by that drone footage. Westport side not so much.

I heard a local rumour about opening before Christmas. Do you think that they could open part of the Castlebar part before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

They'd want to really pull their finger out on the Castlebar side from what I've seen. Traffic lights again on the N84 ballinrobe overpass for one digger doing a small bit of groundwork the last couple of weeks.

Never seen a job being dragged out so long as this junction has been. Queue the Covid excuses and weather issues. Been a total embarrassment for the town getting this bypass done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Its nothing to do with COVID and weather. Its the diesel prices. If you think this is bad you should have seen the Ennis bypass..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Why would tHe town be embarrassed? Silly comment

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Westernview

Agreed. It will be an impressive piece of instrastructure that both Castlebar and Westport can be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No harm encouraging then to get it done excuse free and in a timely manner. Alot of money spent on the thing

Median barrier construction finally underway at the Turlough end. Pic courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

Anyone got a drawing of the Breaffy Road intersection? By the way it's shaping up, it looks like if you are travelling to Westport from Breaffy you will have to go down to the roundabout and double back to get the turn off on the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

As per previous poster - Do we know a completion date ?

The detailed drawings for this are very difficult to come by, but OpenStreetMap shows the layout that was approved by An Bord Pleanála.

The N60 isn’t a divided road here, so a right-turn should bring you directly to the N5 on-slip:

I can’t see them routing everyone through the roundabout (just west of this map), as it would significantly increase traffic on that stretch of road, but if the delays to turn right end up being very long, that, or traffic lights, might end up being a better option.

There will be a right-turn lane in both directions. I agree traffic lights may become necessary here, there will be a lot of turning traffic. Detailed maps here:

@DumbBrunette heh.. all the times I’ve landed on that page, I never thought of scrolling down!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

That section of road from the Balla to the roundabout is very busy as it is especially at peak times. I'd pity anyone waiting behind someone turning right coming from Balla.

New 4k drone video of the entire scheme - by far the best I've seen.

Why is it a metal crash barrier compared to a wire barrier on the tuam bypass and a concrete one on motorways?

The design report and EIS both say a wire rope barrier will be used as that is (was?) the standard for T2DC. Both documents are 10 years old though, so I'm not sure if the standard has changed in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

I imagine that's a design decision as well. Rope and steel are much cheaper and much quicker than concrete. But in the long run require much much more maintenance.

Advertisement