Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you stop for someone along the side of the road?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was hesistant as well but then I just couldn't and booted it on.

People have stopped for me plenty of times when I was a young wan in my Micra. That fecking Micra broke my bloody heart. :mad:

I bought a new car, joined the AA and learned how to change a tire, so thankfully haven't been in that situation in a long time. *Touches wood*

That's why I felt a bit bad but I just couldn't risk it. I'd be no match for the pair of them if they went to steal my car or worse. :(

What "wood" ? I thought you were female , wood is a nickname for ummmm you know ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

What "wood" ? I thought you were female , wood is a nickname for ummmm you know ....

I know what it's a nickname for. :rolleyes: No, 'touch wood' is something us country folk say in order not to jinx things. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am a bloke and being honest I don't think I would stop. Not for a car seemingly broken down in the middle of no-where. It's nice to be nice but you know yourself, it's a classic one.

But if I did decide to stop... because say someone is all frantic... boy, I tell you, my car would be 40 feet in front of that car, doors locked, window down, whilst looking back and shouting "whats the matter, mate?"

It's nice to be nice. It's good to help another in need. But not to be a mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I usually stop for people, unless they look really dodgy.

I picked up a guy one day and he asked me for a lend of 20 euros.

I usually stop for people, unless they look really dodgy.

I picked up a guy one day and he asked me for a lend of 20 euros.

Did ya give him the 20 yoyo's?

Cheek of him. He should have been the one giving you money for the lift not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd probably stop and open the window a crack, to see what they wanted, but be ready to drive away quickly if necessary.

I'd be no good with mechanical stuff, but would probably be willing to send back a taxi for them or something.

You were right to go with your instincts though - a "bad feeling" would be enough to make me not stop at all.

On the other hand, I've been on the receiving end of the kindness of strangers a couple of times. So I guess my first reaction would be to stop and help, if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What OP should have done is stop a bout 20 yards down the road and when yer man ran up to the car she could take off like a bat out of hell, laughing her head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

genericguy wrote: »
    He is. As the old saying goes "on the internet, all the men are men, all the women are men G.I.R.L.S., and all the children are FBI"

FYP G.I.R.L.S. Guys In Real Life Sweetie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

In Ireland I'd stop. I mean really, what is the probability of being the victim of some elaborate ruse to stick you in the boot?

Understand women being cautious. And in USA or basically anywhere else I think I'd most likely keep going.

In Ireland I'd stop. I mean really, what is the probability of being the victim of some elaborate ruse to stick you in the boot?

Understand women being cautious. And in USA or basically anywhere else I think I'd most likely keep going.

here are some examples of why the OP was right to keep driving

http://www.thejournal.ie/carjacking/news/

it happens more than you think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

here are some examples of why the OP was right to keep driving

http://www.thejournal.ie/carjacking/news/

I said I'd stop. Not the OP was wrong. But I also think your link only serves to propagate paranoia.

If everybody starts thinking this way it's going to be a pretty cold wee country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I thought fat christy was a fat middle aged balding man :)

Or Christy from Fair City.

I said I'd stop. Not the OP was wrong. But I also think your link only serves to propagate paranoia.

If everybody starts thinking this way it's going to be a pretty cold wee country.

Like another poster said, I just don't understand how 2 men didn't have their phones on them. :confused:

And they would have been grand anyway, one of them could of just walked to Old Bawn. This is just outside Tallaght, Old Bawn being Tallaght, it's not exactly the middle of Kerry.

i wouldnt call it propagating paranoia but using caution as it does happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Agreed.

Should someone driving on their own stop to help two able bodied men at a parked car trying to make them stop?

No...they shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Probably Larry in the passenger seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Probably Larry in the passenger seat.

Yeah...Larry Murphy.

I just think that the odds of two people not having a working mobile phone are too high to warrant stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

OP, you done the right thing not stopping, because as was already said... the chances of two men not having a mobile phone is very remote. Everyone carries a mobile just incase the car breaks down or an accident happens, so those two men obviously had a mobile.

I never stop for anyone, and never will and I'm a bloke. anyone stuck on the side of the road will learn the lesson to bring a mobile with them next time. Not worth taking a chance just incase. There's a lot of sick twisted assholes out there so why even bother taking the risk of stopping, especially if you are a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Christy I think you did absolutely the right thing to trust your instincts. After all thats what they're there for ;).

I will just tell you a little story though. Years ago a close relative was seriously ill. Ambulance to Dublin and we drove across the country. Anyway she was OK but they were keeping her in. We set off home but the car is an old heap. It gives up the ghost half way home. The Father in Law is with us in his car but no feckin tow rope. We tried flagging people down but who is going to stop for four men looking quite rough (it had been a long 24 hours).

No one would stop until a traveller on his own stopped. Had a look at the car confirmed it was fecked and gave us a spanking new tow rope. He said don't worry about getting it back to him. The kindness of strangers sometimes takes your breath away.:)

Maybe I should have saved this for the upcoming traveller thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

I was out in Bohernabreena Waterworks just beyond Friarstown/Old Bawn in the middle of nowhere-ish. Anyway as I was coming back the road at around 9 o'clock, I seen a red car just before the bend at the bridge. As I approached the car, the driver got out, a middle aged man and tried to flag me down. I noticed there was another guy in the passenger seat. I was half hesitating whether to stop or not and I did slow down but got a really uneasy feeling and booted it on.

I had no phone on me and I was by myself (I'm female). This is quite a secluded area and not too far from Old Bawn in Tallaght and I just didn't feel comfortable stopping. I felt a bit bad on the way back home but there was 2 of them and only one of me. I didn't think I would be much help with no phone or nothing.

Would you have stopped? If the circumstances were different I may have but I had a really bad feeling about it.

If you had a bad feeling about it then there is no question as to whether you should have stopped or not. It is always better to be safe. I would hope you will always take that degree of caution in life. Remember, this is Ireland, not Cambodia, if two guys break down on the side of the road, they won't die of starvation or get shot on their way to the nearest petrol station. I'm sure they were fine. Do not worry about them, if you had a bad feeling then you made the best decision for number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd probably have called the guards and just said there were two men broken down at such and such a place, flagging down cars, but as you were on your own you weren't comfortable stopping.

After that the guards can take a spin out there if they want to. If it's legit, then hooray! they've rescued two poor helpless men. If there's something dodgy, they'll have a note of the car reg and what the guys look like in case there's trouble in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Only ever really stop for hitchhikers when I'm drunk.

Sad, in a way, that I'm too shy and self-concious to do it sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, wouldn't stop either - male, late 30s

I had a bunch of 20 somethings beside a car try to flag me down on the M50-M1 flyover @ 5am a few months back.. not a hope was I gonna stop there.

Equally had a girl nearly walk out in front of me one evening in an attempt to get me to stop. Dodgy area anyway but again, no way was I stopping either.

I drive a 3.0TDI Audi A6 as well which is the sort of thing you see all too often on Crimecall in petrol station raids etc.. not going to take the chance myself. Besides, everyone has a phone these days so if it's a genuine emergency there should be no problem for them calling the Gardai or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thoie wrote: »
    I'd probably have called the guards and just said there were two men broken down at such and such a place, flagging down cars, but as you were on your own you weren't comfortable stopping.

After that the guards can take a spin out there if they want to. If it's legit, then hooray! they've rescued two poor helpless men. If there's something dodgy, they'll have a note of the car reg and what the guys look like in case there's trouble in future.

^^ This .. you've done your part, the Gardai come to the rescue, or they nab someone dodgy - everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

For some reason the OP (maybe hysterical I know) reminded me of the two bastards Geoffrey Evans and John Shaw. I would not stop but I agree with calling the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Most insurance policies have breakdown cover as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Most insurance policies have breakdown cover as standard.

Only useful if you have a phone. I agree that the likelihood of two adults both being out of battery/forgetting their phones is unlikely, but it is theoretically possible. I know my parents have on more than one occasion been out without either of them having a phone.

Maphisto wrote: »
    Christy I think you did absolutely the right thing to trust your instincts. After all thats what they're there for ;).

I will just tell you a little story though. Years ago a close relative was seriously ill. Ambulance to Dublin and we drove across the country. Anyway she was OK but they were keeping her in. We set off home but the car is an old heap. It gives up the ghost half way home. The Father in Law is with us in his car but no feckin tow rope. We tried flagging people down but who is going to stop for four men looking quite rough (it had been a long 24 hours).

No one would stop until a traveller on his own stopped. Had a look at the car confirmed it was fecked and gave us a spanking new tow rope. He said don't worry about getting it back to him. The kindness of strangers sometimes takes your breath away.:)

Maybe I should have saved this for the upcoming traveller thread.

The fcuk is Maphisto gone? :mad: I'm sick of boardsies closing their accounts!! :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Thoie wrote: »
    Only useful if you have a phone. I agree that the likelihood of two adults both being out of battery/forgetting their phones is unlikely, but it is theoretically possible. I know my parents have on more than one occasion been out without either of them having a phone.

I agree - but one of my greatest satisfactions since moving back here have been:

- wearing a watch about three times a year

- and never worrying whether the phone had charge, credit or even where I last put it down

I did 30+ years of clock watching and 15+ years of being on the end of a phone for any idiot that "just thought of something". I miss it not one bitbut maybe one of you feckers would stop now and again :D

• Advertisement

I agree - but one of my greatest satisfactions since moving back here have been:

- wearing a watch about three times a year

- and never worrying whether the phone had charge, credit or even where I last put it down

I did 30+ years of clock watching and 15+ years of being on the end of a phone for any idiot that "just thought of something". I miss it not one bitbut maybe one of you feckers would stop now and again :D

Sorry Babes. :pac:

Advertisement