Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you stop for someone along the side of the road?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I was out in Bohernabreena Waterworks just beyond Friarstown/Old Bawn in the middle of nowhere-ish. Anyway as I was coming back the road at around 9 o'clock, I seen a red car just before the bend at the bridge. As I approached the car, the driver got out, a middle aged man and tried to flag me down. I noticed there was another guy in the passenger seat. I was half hesitating whether to stop or not and I did slow down but got a really uneasy feeling and booted it on.

I had no phone on me and I was by myself (I'm female). This is quite a secluded area and not too far from Old Bawn in Tallaght and I just didn't feel comfortable stopping. I felt a bit bad on the way back home but there was 2 of them and only one of me. I didn't think I would be much help with no phone or nothing.

Would you have stopped? If the circumstances were different I may have but I had a really bad feeling about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I was out in Bohernabreena Waterworks just beyond Friarstown/Old Bawn in the middle of nowhere-ish. Anyway as I was coming back the road at around 9 o'clock, I seen a red car just before the bend at the bridge. As I approached the car, the driver got out, a middle aged man and tried to flag me down. I noticed there was another guy in the passenger seat. I was half hesitating whether to stop or not and I did slow down but got a really uneasy feeling and booted it on.

I had no phone on me and I was by myself (I'm female). This is quite a secluded area and not too far from Old Bawn in Tallaght and I just didn't feel comfortable stopping. I felt a bit bad on the way back home but there was 2 of them and only one of me. I didn't think I would be much help with no phone or nothing.

Would you have stopped? If the circumstances were different I may have but I had a really bad feeling about it.

reason enough not to stop IMO

id never stop or pick up hitch hikers....mainly due not wanting to make small talk with complete strangers and id assume no one enjoys awkward silences:o

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Noway!! You can't take the chance. Even a guy on his own. Old people/middle aged people can be murderers too! I know I sound dramatic, but if they are really stuck could they not call their friends?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You were right to trust your gut. I probably wouldn't have stopped tbh, definitely not if I were female.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I wouldn't stop and I'm male.

You did the right thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My OH would give the last fifty cent in his pocket to someone he thought deserved it.

A few months ago we were driving off the M1 and going down the exit, there were two blokes in a car parked on the exit and waving everyone down with no success.

OH went to stop, but I just told him to drive on, looked seriously weird where they were.

I've stopped before for single people stuck with punctures and the likes, but if there are more than one person there, I feel uneasy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did you ring the guards in case they are genuinely stranded? FWIW I probably wouldn't stop myself, but if they were a good distance from help, I'd probably contact someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Only if she had the bonnet up and was leaning over it seductively whilst scantily clad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

It was probably just Ted Bundy back from the dead... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

Not a chance. Cry your hearts out good samaritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I have done in the past in some situations but didn't in others, but I am Male.
    If I were Female I would probably not ever find myself in situations like that, simply because I would just stay at home all day, every day, playing with my Boobies.
    I really like Boobies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I thought fat christy was a fat middle aged balding man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did you ring the guards in case they are genuinely stranded? FWIW I probably wouldn't stop myself, but if they were a good distance from help, I'd probably contact someone.

Do you know where I am talking about? They would be within walking distance of Oldbawn crossroads. It's only about 4km up the road from that bridge.

The area itself is remote and densely forested but you are literally in Oldbawn within minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

What are the odds of two people not having a functioning mobile phone?

No chance I'd stop.

Sam Kade wrote: »

I bet your sorry now you turned down my sexy PM. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Actually thinking about it, what are the chances these days of 2 people in the car not having a working phone?

wazky wrote: »
    Only if she had the bonnet up and was leaning over it seductively whilst scantily clad.

It wasn't a she, it was 2 he men. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Sam Kade wrote: »

He is. As the old saying goes "on the internet, all the men are men, all the women are men, and all the children are FBI"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What are the odds of two people not having a functioning mobile phone?

No chance I'd stop.

That was what freaked me out about the two my OH nearly stopped for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Not a chance would I stop! Way too dodgey

Stheno wrote: »
    That was what freaked me out about the two my OH nearly stopped for.

I was hesistant as well but then I just couldn't and booted it on.

People have stopped for me plenty of times when I was a young wan in my Micra. That fecking Micra broke my bloody heart. :mad:

I bought a new car, joined the AA and learned how to change a tire, so thankfully haven't been in that situation in a long time. *Touches wood*

That's why I felt a bit bad but I just couldn't risk it. I'd be no match for the pair of them if they went to steal my car or worse. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Well done fat, always trust your gut. as someone once said to me 'if it feels wrong then it is wrong.'
    I would never stop when I'm on my own. You really can't be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Works the other way too.....nothing worse than being broken down in the middle of nowhere and some possible psycho pulls up offering help you didn't ask for and leaving you with little choice but to run off into the forest to avoid them.

It was probably just Ted Bundy back from the dead... :p

Why would you even say that? :mad: :(

I'll hear about the pair of them being mass murderers in 10 years time and thank the lord I didn't stop. :pac:

deise08 wrote: »
    Well done fat, always trust your gut. as someone once said to me 'if it feels wrong then it is wrong.'
    I would never stop when I'm on my own. You really can't be too careful.

I've had people stop for me usually when I've had a puncture, and have done the same when I see someone alone with a puncture.

Add in more than one person, and no way would I stop.

And I'm female, I remember stopping one day to help a bloke who did look helpless with a puncture and him being amazed I could change it lol

Last time I had a puncture, I was fortunate enough that it was in a petrol station, five seperate people stopped to offer help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Works the other way too.....nothing worse than being broken down in the middle of nowhere and some possible psycho pulls up offering help you didn't ask for and leaving you with little choice but to run off into the forest to avoid them.

see film wolf creek :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Why would you even say that? :mad: :(

I'll hear about the pair of them being mass murderers in 10 years time and thank the lord I didn't stop. :pac:

What if they died Christy?

WHAT IF THEY NEEDED HELP AND DIED BECAUSE OF YOU!!! WHAT THEN? WHAT THEN!?

Someone else would have come along.

Or they could have walked to Old Bawn in an hour.

You're just being mean now, gurl.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LostDamo

Have stopped 3 or 4 times and would stop again. Plenty good reasons and can understand people being cautious. But it's more dangerous I reckon looking for lift. It's not a good setup hanging round waiting on off chance someone will stop & you'ld be able to take them. If you see someone looking for u to stop now that's opportunistic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think you were right OP. Especially as your female

Advertisement