Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2014 Heatwave?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

temps very disappointing all the same even for mid august

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

yup and the rest of August is going to be cold and showery with only one or two mild days

Theres a low over Scandanavia pooling cold air over us and a High in the Atlantic adding to this and the pattern appears very hard to shift.

Charts arent changing that much at all over the 10 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

pauldry wrote: »
    yup and the rest of August is going to be cold and showery with only one or two mild days

Theres a low over Scandanavia pooling cold air over us and a High in the Atlantic adding to this and the pattern appears very hard to shift.

Charts arent changing that much at all over the 10 days

So if what you are saying is correct where is MT getting his forecast of warmer weather next week with temps around 20 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Aerohead wrote: »
    So if what you are saying is correct where is MT getting his forecast of warmer weather next week with temps around 20 degrees.
    The orientation of the high probably feeding southerlies/southeasterlies back in,the current pattern allowing for this probability if you get me?
    That could flip back to northerly a week later though bringing us to square one again.

What Whitebriar said ;)

The general pattern for August remains cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could be the first frost of the season tonight, temperatures only ranging 3 to 4C tonight in many inland areas. Over the next week temperatures will generally be 12-15C during daytime, with a few spots hitting 17C during light winds and sunshine. Feels very much mid-autumn while many parts of Europe are going through the height of Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Frost is very rare in august isn't it? I thought it was the month which had none recorded. Or was that July.

thats july Frank

August gets some light frost (grass especially) mid to late month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tues high of 17C, Weds 16.9C and today a high of 16.7C

In fact the highest of temp of the month here in North Kerry was just 21.3C

Temperatures to recover to the high teens next week but nothing exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I have to say I really like this weather. It is very dry apart from the odd heavy shower and I am not a big fan of 21+ temperatures. 15-20 degrees and dry is perfect for me. I could do with it being less windy.

saturday night will be the coldest of August possibly 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I have to say I really like this weather. It is very dry apart from the odd heavy shower and I am not a big fan of 21+ temperatures. 15-20 degrees and dry is perfect for me. I could do with it being less windy.

Yes i like this weather myself,we had enough warmth and humidity during june and july to do me. The cooler weather of late has been refreshing imo. Roll on the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,102 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Aerohead wrote: »

To be honest someone predicting temps of 20c in August is hardly taking much of a risk are they?

Anyone could say that and there might/should be a possibility of them getting it right, whether they study weather or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Its FREEEZING !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

It's supposed to be summer yet I'm wearing winter clothes and have the heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

MsBubbles wrote: »
    It's supposed to summer yet I'm wearing winter clothes and have the heating on.
    When I woke up today it was 7, sensation 4! According to accuweather (in Dublin). Madness for this time of year.

By 9/9:30 though, it felt quite nice in the sunshine.

Had the gas fire on last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh stop it, I had the AC on last night the OUTSIDE of the windows were all condensation....It is really humid today with a temperature somewhere in the 30s IT'S HOT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am a lightweight when it comes to hot weather but the last few posts shows the lightweight for the cooler weather.:pac:

I have been wearing a tshirt and no heating on at all the last few days. The house seems to be good at retaining heat. It is currently 24C in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh stop it, I had the AC on last night the OUTSIDE of the windows were all condensation....It is really humid today with a temperature somewhere in the 30s IT'S HOT!!!
    no location? you must be in Donegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

It's a coldwave more so, then a heat wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

no location? you must be in Donegal?

West Kerry.....very west of Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

NSAman wrote: »
    West Kerry.....very west of Kerry
    lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I reckon this thread can be locked. Like April/Oct out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

GFS at 126 hours is building high. Don't give up hope yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Winters day here in south Tipp. The weather in this part of the country has been very disappointing this month. Would love to meet the clowns telling us about a 'heatwave' this month. Met Eireann not to optimistic about the upcoming week either....

Coldest ever August temperature recorded overnight in Northern Ireland. HEAT WAAAAAAAVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I don't think i can take this heat... that cheeky jetstream is really boiling us right now....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/493781/SHOCK-WEATHER-FORECAST-Hottest-August-in-300-YEARS-on-way-as-jet-stream-BOILS-Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

IIRC wasn't it a similar situation in 2010 with a cool August and then a couple of beautiful weeks later on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Video wrote: »
    I don't think i can take this heat... that cheeky jetstream is really boiling us right now....

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/493781/SHOCK-WEATHER-FORECAST-Hottest-August-in-300-YEARS-on-way-as-jet-stream-BOILS-Britain

He writes alot of turds on the weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement