Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2014 Heatwave?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Would love to call out the 'journalists' who reported this ****e though. The amount of people I have met who are convinced that its happening is staggering. This month has been very very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I'll be satisfied with cool if it's relatively dry and sunny and from my reading of the Atlantic Ocean Forecast charts it is beginning to seem promising from tomorrow through until Monday that the south of the country (i.e. Kerry and Cork, some parts of adjacent counties) will be nice and sunny.

I think that temperatures will actually be better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

lets hope so because judging by latest charts we could be getting our first frosts next week. all FI of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I hope its freezing.

Cant wait to get the stove fired up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This thread sort of sums up Irish weather predicting.
    I often think they just guess and the odd time they get it right. I too was listening to work colleagues chatting about a heatwave in August at the beginning of the month - could they have been any more wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

lets hope so because judging by latest charts we could be getting our first frosts next week. all FI of course.

Frost in august - hate the muggy humid weather , but surely a little early for frost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We need MT to come back and put us out of our misery !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Oh to have some of these charts 3 to 4 months from now would be great:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

vicwatson wrote: »
    We need MT to come back and put us out of our misery !!

Whoever approved his holiday application should be banned :)

I need 4 days from next Wednesday without rain. Getting the driveway washed and sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hold on, if MT Cranium picked it up, there must be some substance behind it somewhere? Or have the models changed since then?

It's weather, models change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

98FMs facebook page had a headline at the start of the month saying "Don't put the sunscreen away just yet...heatwave on the way"
    When I went in and actually read the article there was no mention of a heatwave at all. The only slight hint was a comment from John Eagleton saying there was a possibility of a high moving in over Ireland in mid August however he did state he was not fully confident this would happen. So to get heatwave from that comment was quite a leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

I put the heating on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

JM Skipton wrote: »
    98FMs facebook page had a headline at the start of the month saying "Don't put the sunscreen away just yet...heatwave on the way"
    When I went in and actually read the article there was no mention of a heatwave at all. The only slight hint was a comment from John Eagleton saying there was a possibility of a high moving in over Ireland in mid August however he did state he was not fully confident this would happen. So to get heatwave from that comment was quite a leap.

It's mid August now and the charts for the next 10 days show no highs. Methinks August won't be a rerun of July, but then there's always September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'd love just 1 or 2 more weeks of hot sun then the coldest Winter known to man to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    I put the heating on last night.

Good thinking, rachet up global warming. Playing the long game I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

vicwatson wrote: »
    It's weather, models change.

Thank feck because the models now are showing a complete washout for electric picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Aboslutely there will be a heatwave. Temperatures next week hitting the 30s, sunshine with the odd thunderstorm thrown in. It is needed after this cool dry period with temperatures in the low 20s and no rain for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

NSAman wrote: »
    Aboslutely there will be a heatwave. Temperatures next week hitting the 30s, sunshine with the odd thunderstorm thrown in. It is needed after this cool dry period with temperatures in the low 20s and no rain for weeks.

You're a spoofer, :) I will eat my own jocks if I see a heat wave, from here on in. One thing is that if we get a few thunderstorms I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    You're a spoofer, :) I will eat my own jocks if I see a heat wave, from here on in. One thing is that if we get a few thunderstorms I'll be happy

Of course, it all depends on what part of the world you are in.... Midwest USA here.. :)

Cool breezy dull today like mid April. Heatwave extinguished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Met Eireann said next week not looking good either.

HEatwave? My ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EarnestH

Cool breezy dull today like mid April. Heatwave extinguished.

Except in April you have the whole summer to look forward to; In August it can only get worse. i'll take April over August anyday.

EarnestH wrote: »
    Except in April you have the whole summer to look forward to; In August it can only get worse. i'll take April over August anyday.

not disagreeing with you at all but I in my naivety maybe still consider August to be summer and I am very disappointed by the current weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Next thing you know the papers will be talking about 10ft of snow around christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

s.m wrote: »
    Next thing you know the papers will be talking about 10ft of snow around christmas
    Some hack somewhere has probably seen your throwaway comment and has begun typing...

EXCLUSIVE:

HO HO HO SNOWMAGEDDON

FREEZING TEMPERATURES and SNOW levels of up to 10 FEET are expected to cause travel CHAOS across the country in December.

[Insert 4-year-old photo of a snowy Dublin]

A source has predicted that SNOW and ICE will arrive on December 8th at midnight and cover much of the country for 4 WEEKS and maybe MORE.

Perishing tonight heatwave my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

KungPao wrote: »
    Some hack somewhere has probably seen your throwaway comment and has begun typing...

EXCLUSIVE:

HO HO HO SNOWMAGEDDON

FREEZING TEMPERATURES and SNOW levels of up to 10 FEET are expected to cause travel CHAOS across the country in December.

[Insert 4-year-old photo of a snowy Dublin]

A source has predicted that SNOW and ICE will arrive on December 8th at midnight and cover much of the country for 4 WEEKS and maybe MORE.

My birthday! Would love that! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

EarnestH wrote: »

I'm not so sure, I've found September to be surprisingly warm and sunny over the last couple of years. This just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was in citywest today ordering stuff for Christmas. I got Christmas music running through my head as I write.

I am finished with the heat now roll on winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭kingshankly

MT Cranium even had this in a recent post: "Temperatures would be fairly warm despite a lot of cloud, and there's a growing chance of warm and sunny weather beyond that towards the second (and or third) weeks of August."

Mt was off the mark I'm afraid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement