Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny A&E flooded 2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Kertrada

Who got paid the 40 mill?

I bet they are very unconnected to anyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Kertrada wrote: »
    Yep, they would be a lot better off and have a decent building control system to boot.

It's still west of the Bann, damned if they do damned if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They built it in a hole.

But wait, it gets better.

Said hole is in the middle of a complex drainage system.

And said hole filled with water last year, expectedly. But it's ok, they cleaned it up.

......and its full of f*cking water again. What a crowd of absolute f*cking numptys. I live in Letterkenny and its quite embarrassing the level of incompetency in this hick-hole. For the last 13 months there has been a 20-ton digger sitting outside the new A&E department, at a cost of €500 a week (pure corruption) incase further flooding occurred. Can someone please tell me what they thought a digger was gonna do? Other than provide a nice weekly earner to the guy who owns the machine who is no doubt related to one of these bottom-feeders in the County Council?

Don't know what a 20 tonne digger costs bit 500 a week sounds inordinately cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't know what a 20 tonne digger costs bit 500 a week sounds inordinately cheap.

Think that sounds more like a day rate. google says a normal jcb is about €350 per day so if its one of the large ones €500 sounds about right.

for parking it ? either way buttons to the 45 million paid out for the 'flood' work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can someone please tell me what they thought a digger was gonna do? Other than provide a nice weekly earner to the guy who owns the machine who is no doubt related to one of these bottom-feeders in the County Council?

well....nothing if it's sitting still. If it has a decent operator to go with it you could use it to do all kinds of things, one of them would be to dig drainage gullies. Or redirect existing drainage gullies. Build dikes....

I'd have thought it would be quite a useful tool under the circumstances......that's if someone had used it

Think that sounds more like a day rate. google says a normal jcb is about €350 per day so if its one of the large ones €500 sounds about right.

Not for a week though.

wexie wrote: »
    well....nothing if it's sitting still. If it has a decent operator to go with it you could use it to do all kinds of things, one of them would be to dig drainage gullies. Or redirect existing drainage gullies. Build dikes....

I'd have thought it would be quite a useful tool under the circumstances......that's if someone had used it

Does health and safety not stop you working in Torrential rain / flooding.

Not for a week though.

Yeah sorry I meant per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Kertrada wrote: »
    I wonder who signed off on the planning permission etc.

Probably some big eejit did it.

• Advertisement

Does health and safety not stop you working in Torrential rain / flooding.

Dunno, last time I saw a big digger it had a nice big cabin on it, complete with AC, heating, radio....

But if it's been sitting there for a while of course the idea would be to get it all done before the heavy rain, I could see that moving large amounts of earth in the middle of a torrential flood could prove to be somewhat challenging and call for a special skillset?

* no accounting for the 'sense' of the H&S crowd though...

Probably some big eejit did it.

as long as they're well connected they should be safe enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hole or no hole, if it's on a hill, then water flows down - bang in drains. And why hire a track machine? Why not a fcuking big fcuk-off pump??? Pumps tend to pump water away......

Hole or no hole, if it's on a hill, then water flows down - bang in drains. And why hire a track machine? Why not a fcuking big fcuk-off pump??? Pumps tend to pump water away......

That’s the problem it's build under the drainage. No idea how something like that got near even considered for planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My heart goes out to the staff and patients. My Dad got a phone call at 6.30 this evening to say that the were putting the major incident response out to all staff. This was his day off and he couldn't get back to the hospital as we're completely cut off here with the floods. Last year, his entire office was flooded and everything in it was destroyed. The staff have to be commended for the conditions they had to endure over the last year and the major clean up they had to do last year. Something major will have to happen now. They can't keep putting lives on the line or have the staff work in such awful conditions. They should rebuild the hospital in a secure location!

. And why hire a track machine? Why not a fcuking big fcuk-off pump??? Pumps tend to pump water away......

cause you can't do this with a pump?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/FEMA_-_40265_-_Men_with_construction_equipment_working_on_a_dike_in_North_Dakota.jpg

At least my approach would be to stop the problem from happening rather than try to remedy it once it's already happened.

cause you can't do this with a pump?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/FEMA_-_40265_-_Men_with_construction_equipment_working_on_a_dike_in_North_Dakota.jpg

At least my approach would be to stop the problem from happening rather than try to remedy it once it's already happened.

Probably flash flooding is the problem,by the time they get an operator and decide what to do with the digger the damage has more than likely been done.

They should rebuild the hospital in a secure location!

No need for that, bring in some Dutch civil engineers, they'll have the place dry and watertight in a jiffy. They can extend the coastline a bit as well while they're there anyways, give you some extra space.

Maybe knock down some of those pesky cliffs and make some nice sandy beaches. Claddagh and Shamrock shaped islands....

They should rebuild the hospital in a secure location!

Yep pay the same well connected lads twice to sort out their mess. keeerching

Probably flash flooding is the problem,by the time they get an operator and decide what to do with the digger the damage has more than likely been done.

Probably, what I meant though is that if this happened like this last year....and the digger's been there for a while....

Then again I guess we can't exactly expect the county council to show some forward planning and thinking....or learn a lesson from last years floods...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Sorry, should have made it clearer. This machine has been sitting idle all year, hasnt moved an inch. No operator. It seems to be there "just in case"....whatever that means?

Hilarious.

Sorry, should have made it clearer. This machine has been sitting idle all year, hasnt moved an inch. No operator. It seems to be there "just in case"....whatever that means?

Hilarious.

No I got it. I meant that it would have been a very useful tool to stop this from happening if someone had used it.

No excuse for something like this. The County Council are probably planning meetings on how they're going to stop this from happening next year.

I had a guy with a digger doing some work for me a while ago, it's astonishing what they can get done in a week. And then to think there are probably unemployed guys in Donegal right now that would have done it for the price of tay biscuits and daysul :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

fullstop wrote: »
    It's not on a flood plain, it's on a hill.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The Hospital is NOT on a flood plane. Its on the side of a stupidly steep hill beleive it or not. The problem is the NEW A&E was built in ground dug out on the side of the hill, underneath an old drain/stream, that Backwards Man referred to.

And why should Donegal not have a hospital. It may be the least densely populated counties, but its also one of the biggest with a crap infrastructure, with journey times of already of at least an hour from some parts to the hospital. With its A&E closed again, some people now have an up to 2 to 3 hour journey to the next nearest hospital, either in Derry, or Sligo.
    Are you suggesting there shouldn't be a hospital in County Donegal?

Letterkenny has a population of c. 20,000, and is at the centre of one of the most underserviced and remote regions in the country. Only right and proper that there's a hospital. Don't be daft.

I should have been clearer guys.

This A&E has been flooded twice in 2 years. It has been built in a part of the country with no shortage of land.

The A&E should have been built on land that isn't susceptible to flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I should have been clearer guys.

This A&E has been flooded twice in 2 years. It has been built in a part of the country with no shortage of land.

The A&E should have been built on land that isn't susceptible to flooding.

Letterkenny though is the most populated part of the county, it makes sense to have the General Hospital there.

If they were to build the A&E anywhere else, they would have had to build a whole new hospital as well. No point building an A&E with out wards and operating thretres, diaognostics, etc etc, within the same buildings grounds.

The ground its self was never previously susceptible to flooding, again, LGH is on the side of a hill. However, its design, has now created ground susceptible to flooding. Location was never an issue, its the flawed design thats the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Overheal wrote: »
    And clearly without doing a preliminary survey about the local environment for potential risks like flooding......

I think it was though, going by the Donegal Forum thread, I believe there would have been studies into 50/100 events. However, last years floods outweighed anything expected. Not that, thats an excuse, last year it seemed to be the badly maintained drain running at the back and above the A&E that caused the issue.

This flood though, is alledged to have came from runoff from a different direction, so who knows what studies/precautions were taken.

No I got it. I meant that it would have been a very useful tool to stop this from happening if someone had used it.

No excuse for something like this. The County Council are probably planning meetings on how they're going to stop this from happening next year.

I had a guy with a digger doing some work for me a while ago, it's astonishing what they can get done in a week. And then to think there are probably unemployed guys in Donegal right now that would have done it for the price of tay biscuits and daysul :mad:

Those unemployed Donegal guys probably got stung on the building of the new A&E back in November 2010 when the main contractor, McNamara's went bust. Subbies showed up one morning to find they were locked out of the site, their tools and materials locked inside. No payments for work done and no tools to head to another job to make a few quid.

Eventually, the job went back out to tender. Forget what you were already owed.

Makes you wonder what may have been overlooked or discarded completely in order to get the place open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Those unemployed Donegal guys probably got stung on the building of the new A&E back in November 2010 when the main contractor, McNamara's went bust. Subbies showed up one morning to find they were locked out of the site, their tools and materials locked inside. No payments for work done and no tools to head to another job to make a few quid.

Eventually, the job went back out to tender. Forget what you were already owed.

Makes you wonder what may have been overlooked or discarded completely in order to get the place open.

Ah that makes sense now, the main contractor was Bernard Mc namara. Close friend of bertie ahern and Fianna fail supporter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It is impressive how it floods so badly when its on top of a big enough hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Danger Mouse Ahead

Built in a hole in the boom years and flooded again, pathetic stuff, paying the owner of a mini digger this year to keep it on site in case it flooded again, pathetic stufff, loads of brown envelopes passed around

• Advertisement

Post deleted. ;)

Advertisement