Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny A&E flooded 2014

Options
  • 05-08-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Don't know how bad it is. (I know someone who works there.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I don't know how bad it is either. Hold tight here OP and il go ask someone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I hope the sturgeons aren't trapped underwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Did It not flood before ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

flooded with a&es or water?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I hope the sturgeons aren't trapped underwater.

All non essential Sturgery has been cancelled!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Letterkenny still has an A&E?? Better keep that quiet, if they cop it, they'll close it, never mind flood it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I heard the place is so overcrowded that patients are now in the corridors on lilos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Did wee Daniel play a concert there last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's not really funny any more, it's a brand new unit that only opened about two years ago. Millions was spent again repairing the damage after flooding last year, parts of the 'old' building could never be reopened as a result. Plus the A&E was closed to walk ins over part of the weekend following a registrar shortage which was only lifted this morning.

Its another 30/45 minutes to Derrys Altnagalvin, and at least 90 to Sligo. Just hope there's no one in major need of their services tonight.

Fcuking ridiculous.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

2013 was much better.Here's hoping for the 2015 outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nowhere near as bad as last year, the defences they keep crowing about must have done some good. Still a fcuking disgrace that it was ever built where it was in the first place. A depression in the side of a hill and no one thought it would fill with water?
    One word

Architects.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Why build a hospital on a flood plane in one of the least densely populated counties on the island? :confused:

There's literally no joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why build a hospital on a flood plane in one of the least densely populated counties on the island? :confused:

It's not on a flood plain, it's on a hill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Kertrada

Did wee Daniel play a concert there last night?

wee daniel could afford to buy 100 hospitals, he's a cute operator

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

They built it in a hole.

But wait, it gets better.

Said hole is in the middle of a complex drainage system.

And said hole filled with water last year, expectedly. But it's ok, they cleaned it up.

......and its full of f*cking water again. What a crowd of absolute f*cking numptys. I live in Letterkenny and its quite embarrassing the level of incompetency in this hick-hole. For the last 13 months there has been a 20-ton digger sitting outside the new A&E department, at a cost of €500 a week (pure corruption) incase further flooding occurred. Can someone please tell me what they thought a digger was gonna do? Other than provide a nice weekly earner to the guy who owns the machine who is no doubt related to one of these bottom-feeders in the County Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Hospital is NOT on a flood plane. Its on the side of a stupidly steep hill beleive it or not. The problem is the NEW A&E was built in ground dug out on the side of the hill, underneath an old drain/stream, that Backwards Man referred to.

And why should Donegal not have a hospital. It may be the least densely populated counties, but its also one of the biggest with a crap infrastructure, with journey times of already of at least an hour from some parts to the hospital. With its A&E closed again, some people now have an up to 2 to 3 hour journey to the next nearest hospital, either in Derry, or Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It's not really funny any more, it's a brand new unit that only opened about two years ago.

And clearly without doing a preliminary survey about the local environment for potential risks like flooding......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Are you suggesting there shouldn't be a hospital in County Donegal?

Letterkenny has a population of c. 20,000, and is at the centre of one of the most underserviced and remote regions in the country. Only right and proper that there's a hospital. Don't be daft.

Are you suggesting there shouldn't be a hospital in County Donegal?

Letterkenny has a population of c. 20,000, and is at the centre of one of the most underserviced and remote regions in the country. Only right and proper that there's a hospital. Don't be daft.

It's not remote at all from NI, I bet they wish they were part of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

Nowhere near as bad as last year, the defences they keep crowing about must have done some good. Still a fcuking disgrace that it was ever built where it was in the first place. A depression in the side of a hill and no one thought it would fill with water?
    One word

Architects.:rolleyes:

sorry you need 2 words, im afraid Civil Engineers would be responsible for the drainage system :rolleyes:

overshoot wrote: »
    sorry you need 2 words, im afraid Civil Engineers would be responsible for the drainage system :rolleyes:

they are rarely ever listened to in Ireland, as long as the colour of the door handles, walls and curtains match the executive offices to keep the architect and HSE fat cats happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Let them eat Hake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

Kertrada wrote: »
    they are rarely ever listened to in Ireland, as long as the colour of the door handles, walls and curtains match the executive offices to keep the architect and HSE fat cats happy

wow two brilliantly ill informed posts.

sure a flood in a hospital, it really would have been worth decades in a warzone

if you knew anything about government funding, you know architecture is a long way down the list of concerns... the only point of worry is the € at the end, perhaps a more holistic design for long term planning rather than getting a shell built for the cheapest fee from of design teams/contractors, as the current government contracts seek may avoid such scenarios.
    start with the politicians... oh but wait, they have to listen to attitudes like this! back to cheap so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

True. They should have agitated to get into Northern Ireland seeing as they are so far from Dublin, the dopes. :rolleyes:

The same happend last year - new flood defences were put in place. Who built/designed the flood defences?? Last time cost €40million... mad idea to bill the people who fecked up the remediation works??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The same happend last year - new flood defences were put in place. Who built/designed the flood defences?? Last time cost €40million... mad idea to bill the people who fecked up the remediation works??

How do Flood defences stop drainage water collecting under the old drainage area ? That's what i want to know.

True. They should have agitated to get into Northern Ireland seeing as they are so far from Dublin, the dopes. :rolleyes:

Yep, they would be a lot better off and have a decent building control system to boot.

I wonder who signed off on the planning permission etc.

Now that would be interesting.

• Advertisement

I wonder who signed off on the planning permission etc.

Now that would be interesting.

Who got paid the 40 mill? I know if we did that, and it didn't work, I'd be on the hook for the damage - we do a lot of flood defence work.

Advertisement