Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Rugby World Cup: will you be watching?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

This competition is underway and I wonder am I in the minority looking at the occasional match? Would you settle in with a pint in your local to watch the competition? Feet up at home even?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cheers for the heads up. TG4, Ireland vs NZ is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I are they on the same size pitch?
    Women always look lost on full size pitches,particularly Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But... the Chess Olympiad is on...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,317 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

14-14 at the moment between Ireland and New Zealand....the Irish women are putting up a great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

This competition is underway and I wonder am I in the minority looking at the occasional match? Would you settle in with a pint in your local to watch the competition? Feet up at home even?

God no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I'm wathimg it right now.

I'm wathimg it right now.

Ireland take the lead again against the All Blacks.....they're doing superbly here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Unless they're bollock naked,no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Unless they're bollock naked,no.

You wouldn't want to see these women naked

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Up the women!!!!
    What a win

• Advertisement

Irish women defeat the All Blacks. That's a huge result for them....NZ are apparently even more dominant in the women's game than in the men's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can people not just congratulate them on a job well done even if they are "just" women? Its a great achievement, well done.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Can people not just congratulate them on a job well done even if they are "just" women? Its a great achievement, well done.

They're clearly a hell of a good side too.....that was a massive upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

The level of athleticism and skill is just too low to bother watching and this is coming from someone who watches women's MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

well done girls

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Great result and a fantastic performance!

I also have a problem with the fact you can't call the women's players 'big' player X like you could say 'big' John Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I also have a problem with the fact you can't call the women's players 'big' player X like you could say 'big' John Hayes.

What, like "big rug munchers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The level of athleticism and skill is just too low to bother watching and this is coming from someone who watches women's MMA.
    Niamh Briggs' touch line conversion was a fantastic piece of skill.
    Some of the handling, kicking & tackling was to a very high standard

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Women's sports can be reasonably entertaining when the area of engagement is quite small so it works alright for the likes of MMA and tennis. Unfortunately, over larger playing fields the lack of acceleration becomes very apparent. In soccer and GAA it takes women a longer time to get to the ball and the game appears very loose as a result.

I've never watched women's rugby but I'd imagine it'd suffer a good deal from the lack of explosiveness. I'll still try to give it a go for the next match all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah here, take one look at Ireland's second try and Niamh Briggs' touchline conversion and tell me there was no skill involved. You'd be doing well to see much better in the RDS in May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

In answer to the OP, no because Rugby is a **** sport only beloved by this nation as we are sort of good at it and the women playing in aren't even worth a second glance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In answer to the OP, no because Rugby is a **** sport only beloved by this nation as we are sort of good at it and the women playing in aren't even worth a second glance.

Bollox.

Well done the women.

Bring on Kazakhstan !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is it on comedy central?

Sure, but they have to start somewhere and the sport is in it's infancy. I bet people would have said the same thing in the early days of women's boxing before Katie Taylor came along.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Sure, but they have to start somewhere and the sport is in it's infancy. I bet people would have said the same thing in the early days of women's boxing before Katie Taylor came along.

Women's boxing only really emerged in the 1990s around the same time as the Irish women's rugby team, and like the poster above said some sports like boxing, MMA and tennis do a better job of hiding the limitations of women athletes, Katie Taylor is a 1 in a million athlete her skill set and athletic ability are in the highest percentile for her gender.

Women's boxing only really emerged in the 1990s around the same time as the Irish women's rugby team, and like the poster above said some sports like boxing, MMA and tennis do a better job of hiding the limitations of women athletes, Katie Taylor is a 1 in a million athlete her skill set and athletic ability are in the highest percentile for her gender.

Yes, but a lot of women's sports (outside the mainstream athletics, swimming, tennis etc) are in their infancy meaning the potential for fitness levels and skills to improve dramatically is there. If you could somehow unearth films of men's football and rugby matches from the 19th century, I bet the modern viewer would be dismayed by the poor levels of fitness and skill.

Trying to compare women's rugby to what the men's teams in the Six Nations are doing is a bit pointless. I'm sure many men's amateur rugby teams wouldn't compare favourably either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Never watch Rugby: too boring, but these women are playing a better brand of Rugby. They field a garryowen and then counter-attack. This tactic set up the Irish try for the lead and the touchline conversion was superb. Assuming they beat Kazakhstan what might be their seeding for the semis? 3 and a possible semi against Australia or France? And then on to the final and a rematch with the Kiwi hens...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Strazdas wrote: »
    Irish women defeat the All Blacks. That's a huge result for them....NZ are apparently even more dominant in the women's game than in the men's.

Black Ferns, not the All Blacks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Do they all have liquor license' ?

Advertisement