Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to call to every home

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

But no, send her back home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭bmc58

Not a bad idea.You never know what they might find.
    Sure to put the wind up a few of those urban farmers as well.

Funny how the judge could see the purple jaw and burst lip on the Tuesday and know what went on

NipNip wrote: »
    Funny how the judge could see the purple jaw and burst lip on the Tuesday and know what went on

The guards couldn't figure this out though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Can I chose to not open the door to them? Its my house, I can decide who I get off the couch for when the bell rings. When I see reps or people with bibles I don't get up. If its a garda saying "hi" well I don't really see the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Starting with North County Dublin. Some new community policing thingy.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-visiting-every-home-in-pilot-community-policing-scheme-638259.html

I haven't seen an actual real life garda in about 2 years. I have seen them on the television though. I'm kind of excited.

will they sporting a black n tan uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

B. a hysterical hyperventilating individual complete with everything she was allowed to collect in two penneys bags might be an indication that something bAd had happened

It's the indication of an argument not anything illegal which is what the guards do - uphold the law. The law is an ass sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Just make sure your wallet, any spare cash plus your stash of skunk is out of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can I chose to not open the door to them? Its my house, I can decide who I get off the couch for when the bell rings.
    I have had no doorbell for about 10 years now, never had one in the house. If I move house I will remove it, no need for them in this day & age.

This garda visit seems a waste of time, it will be all fake smiles and fake chit chat & fake concern, like the election canvassing cunts. All chat and then fuck off with no interest in what you have to say.

Last time I went into a garda station with a genuine complaint about dangerous and illegal acitivities they had zero interest in what i had to say, not even a feigned interest or concern. I have emailed them on a few occasions and got absolutely no response too.

I would rather see them enforcing the numerous laws they stick their head in the sand about.

There is not even a direct email where you know your issue will be looked at by someone who is actually trained in law, and be formally responded to. Many of the gardai on the street are clueless gobshites and are known to invent laws on the spot, I don't mind if they admit they are ignorant, its not even checking stuff that is unforgiveable. Many would be scared to challenge or question them in any way, since the handy "public order" offence can be lashed out with ridiculous ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Can see where they are coming from.

But this is some waste of Garda time & resources. There is limited Garda visual presence on the streets as it is. Now they are spending all day going house to house for a general chit-chat.

The ones based in the country will be poisoned from tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The town I live in is riddled with drugs and skangers. I'd rather the Gardaí be left to clamp down on those things than being forced to come around talking to the likes of me. They've got no interest in me and I've got no interest in them. Let them get on with their jobs I say, tough enough without having to go around to 10,000 houses talking to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well if the guards had taken fingerprints from the 'evidence' they took from my car, they might have found out who it was. Anyway, see the other thread about being a vigilante. I took matters into my own hands, and none of my cars have been broken into since.

And you're 100% positive that they got usable fingerprints yeah? Because i believe that this is another misconception brought about by CSI and Law and Order and the ilk. A surface needs to be like glass before a print can be lifted. Just because it looks like you could get a print off something, doesn't mean you will.

And who said anything about being a vigilante?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

After a fella was shot down our way they sent a garda around to every door, it was nothing more than a fishing excercise. Wanted to know who was living in the house, mobile numbers etc.

Bambi wrote: »
    After a fella was shot down our way they sent a garda around to every door, it was nothing more than a fishing excercise. Wanted to know who was living in the house, mobile numbers etc.

That's called house to house inquiries, and is common in major crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

And you're 100% positive that they got usable fingerprints yeah? Because i believe that this is another misconception brought about by CSI and Law and Order and the ilk. A surface needs to be like glass before a print can be lifted. Just because it looks like you could get a print off something, doesn't mean you will.

And who said anything about being a vigilante?
    A surface needs to be like glass? Like all the cd's they took from my car?
    As for being 100% positive, I wouldn't know, seeing as they haven't bothered their hole coming back to let me know in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can I chose to not open the door to them? Its my house, I can decide who I get off the couch for when the bell rings. When I see reps or people with bibles I don't get up. If its a garda saying "hi" well I don't really see the point.
    Of course. But the gardai are there to help you, the other people you don't answer the door to aren't. Can't do any harm to say hello.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Of course. But the gardai are there to help you, the other people you don't answer the door to aren't. Can't do any harm to say hello.
    They're there to help. You clearly have never reported a crime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

They're there to help. You clearly have never reported a crime!

I have and they've been very helpful.

But then the world doesn't revolve around NipNip or Valetta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Those generous Indian "Microsoft" lads that get rid of computer viruses are gonna be sh*tting bricks when they get a visit from the Gardaí

I suspect where they're making those calls from may be a bit outside of the Gardai jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

None of these calls will be made, PR at its best (worst)

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    A surface needs to be like glass? Like all the cd's they took from my car?
    As for being 100% positive, I wouldn't know, seeing as they haven't bothered their hole coming back to let me know in the last 5 years.

Yes, like the CD's, but again no guarantee that there was a useful print. With the introduction of AFIS a few years back it's making detections easier, but criminals are also copping on and using gloves.

Also, and i think the Gardaí should have contacted you back, but did you contact them? It's not uncommon to hear nothing back if nothing was found, and with the amount of calls they attend it can be easy to forget to get back to someone, which is why the injured party should also be taking an active interest in the case and looking to make contact if they haven't received any. And if you have attempted to make contact, then GSOC are there for you if you still feel miffed about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes, like the CD's, but again no guarantee that there was a useful print. With the introduction of AFIS a few years back it's making detections easier, but criminals are also copping on and using gloves.

Also, and i think the Gardaí should have contacted you back, but did you contact them? It's not uncommon to hear nothing back if nothing was found, and with the amount of calls they attend it can be easy to forget to get back to someone, which is why the injured party should also be taking an active interest in the case and looking to make contact if they haven't received any. And if you have attempted to make contact, then GSOC are there for you if you still feel miffed about it.
    As said, I sorted it out myself.

Good man, take the law into your own hands. I'm leaving it at that.

Advertisement