Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to call to every home

Options
  • 05-08-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭

Starting with North County Dublin. Some new community policing thingy.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-visiting-every-home-in-pilot-community-policing-scheme-638259.html
    The latest stage of the Small Areas Policing Programme will have gardaí visit every resident in their area and work to ingratiate themselves into the community.
    "It's the way, when I joined the guards in the early 80s, that was the way we did it - we got to know everybody. We were sent out on a beat, you'd have to know everybody in the area - and that was the way you learned what was going on."

I haven't seen an actual real life garda in about 2 years. I have seen them on the television though. I'm kind of excited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Can see where they are coming from.

But this is some waste of Garda time & resources. There is limited Garda visual presence on the streets as it is. Now they are spending all day going house to house for a general chit-chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Sounds like a big waste of money and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

This is what happens in with an electorate and forth estate where perception is more important then fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭daz1988

this is a silly idea as they are moved around the hole time and i think there moved so much due to back handers and brown envelopes and all that jizz il have to wait and see (Y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Starting with North County Dublin. Some new community policing thingy.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-visiting-every-home-in-pilot-community-policing-scheme-638259.html

I haven't seen an actual real life garda in about 2 years. I have seen them on the television though. I'm kind of excited.

Dont believe you haveint seen a garda in about 2 years. I see them every day in my home town from walking the streets, having people pulled over and just driving around the town.

I even live close to one as well.

While i bump into garda when i stop in tesco let at night after work.

Then in the town i work in i see them walking the sts everyday and driving up and down none stop in traffic core, reg garda car and the the ones that carry guns. So pretty much i see about 10+ Garda a day ....

But i do like the idea of the garda in areas getting to know the public again as in the areas of bad crime it might work for the better as it well make people think garda are people to as i am shocked to see the lack of respect towards them lately.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I understand what they are trying to achieve in terms of integrating into the community again, to a point, but I'd much prefer they "get to know" all the little shítebags in the area who are happy to bottle someone over the head on a friday night, than to be calling round to the house for a cup of tea....

Get the streets covered first, then they're welcome in my house any time....

its funny if the people over the guards put so much effort into fighting crime as they do with all this stuff ireland would be a safe place employ more guards scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Those generous Indian "Microsoft" lads that get rid of computer viruses are gonna be sh*tting bricks when they get a visit from the Gardaí

10 little lads living in 1 room with all there pcs and phones helping out the hole world getting rid of them pests of virus and excess bank balances top men :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

But this is some waste of Garda time & resources. There is limited Garda visual presence on the streets as it is. Now they are spending all day going house to house for a general chit-chat.

Last I checked, the majority of the population of Dublin lives in a house or apartment on a street, so the very fact they are doing this will increase Garda presence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

"Community Policing". More namby-pamby social studies ****e that doesn't work.

I'm sure the local scummers will completely turn their lives around once Garda O'Shea pops over to say hello to them one day.

Focus on fixing the justice system and sentencing in the country so that Gardai will feel like it's worth their while to arrest these useless gee-bags rather than having them ignore "smaller" crimes because it isn't worth bring Anto to court as the judge will nearly start weeping at his "i had a tough life yer honour, so i had to rob that auld wan" sob-story before he let's him out on yet another suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Bad idea, Gardai getting to know local scumbags on friendly terms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

That would be the station Ted, or, aye, as we used to say in grandmother's time, the barracks. Aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

kyub wrote: »
    Last I checked, the majority of the population of Dublin lives in a house or apartment on a street, so the very fact they are doing this will increase Garda presence.

As is the case in most built up areas. They are not "walking the beat", being tied up.

If I was criminally minded & knew that Gardai were doing a meet-and-greet in D3 area, I would go elsewhere & commit crimes as I know where their resources area being used .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sounds like civil servant thinking, Did the Gardaí come up with this ?

Knock knock

Resident "Hello, how can I help you Garda"

Gardaí "Are you a criminal"

resident "no"

Gardaí move to house next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Gonna be awkward, all things considering... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

People nowadays hardly want to interact with their neighbour not alone a garda, the idea is grand in theory but will have limited success, it will probably get some super promoted to chief in the next few months when he spouts about his idea, maybe if the government weren't loading gardai with silly laws and jobs like taking people to jail on non payment of fines for TV licences. Trying to cut corners with the likes of shell and then send in the gardai on a PR disaster to curtail local opposition, they won't invest in training and wonder why standards drop. It's all just a smoke screen by high ranking pen pushers and government to cover over huge cracks they don't want people to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Make sure you car is taxed and insured lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

The common news epitaph "The victim/perpetrator was known to the Gardai" will be meaningless after this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

carzony wrote: »
    Bad idea, Gardai getting to know local scumbags on friendly terms...

Depends on how you look at it. Getting a look in the front door of someone's house without a warrant could reveal a lot about that person.

I'll be inviting them in for a cup of tea if they call around. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not welcome at my door.

Unless they come with free flip flops !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Lapin wrote: »
    Not welcome at my door.

Unless they come with free flip flops !

You need to go to OWC for that.

They better say nice things about my aquarium or I will be annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Why not just go to a few houses in a specific area at random, but send out flyers beforehand saying they'll be calling around on a certain date and tell people to contact the local station if they want the Gardaí to call to their home in particular on that date?

Would probably make too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I know my local Gardai and they're generally sound

I think it's a great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

How about going to the homes of known career criminals for a cup of tea and a chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm living in Dub 9, and the community garda came around about 3 weeks ago, and asked various questions like how did I find the area, do you feel safe, why are you living in the area, how did I find the people, etc. very nice young man :-) some naobhours in the apartments weren't pleased... don't understand why... I'm happy that they are making an effort :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This is the logical end-point when the policing system has been undermined to the point of total ineffectiveness by the judicial system.

It is now simply a PR job, to blind the people to the fact that crime pays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bet they'll bring the TV licence inspector with them then *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dont believe you haveint seen a garda in about 2 years. I see them every day in my home town from walking the streets, having people pulled over and just driving around the town.

I even live close to one as well.

While i bump into garda when i stop in tesco let at night after work.

Then in the town i work in i see them walking the sts everyday and driving up and down none stop in traffic core, reg garda car and the the ones that carry guns. So pretty much i see about 10+ Garda a day ....

But i do like the idea of the garda in areas getting to know the public again as in the areas of bad crime it might work for the better as it well make people think garda are people to as i am shocked to see the lack of respect towards them lately.
    I lived in a town with a population of 10,000, had a 24 hour garda station which was the main one for a massive area. Never once in 30 years I lived there have I saw a gardai walking through the town. Even if it's across the road to the bank, it's in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

PR exercise plus don't like the idea of cops snooping around my house its a bit Orwellian. Use the time to catch some criminals how about doing that.

Advertisement