Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling without puncture repair facilities

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

My worst puncture happened 110k from home, and a 10km walk to the nearest town. When I got there, the county GAA team were playing so there was no taxis to be had. Eventually, after an hour and a half, I got a mini van to drive me back to Dublin with the bike costing me 90 quid.

I wouldn't mind, I had a spare tube, but my hands were cold from the rain and I didnt open the tube valve properly. The pump extension snapped it as I tried to pump it up, rendering it useless.

At least I wasn't hit by a car as well :)

My puncture routine is now fairly bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

ror_74 wrote: »
    My worst puncture happened 110k from home, and a 10km walk to the nearest town. When I got there, the county GAA team were playing so there was no taxis to be had. Eventually, after an hour and a half, I got a mini van to drive me back to Dublin with the bike costing me 90 quid.

I wouldn't mind, I had a spare tube, but my hands were cold from the rain and I didnt open the tube valve properly. The pump extension snapped it as I tried to pump it up, rendering it useless.

At least I wasn't hit by a car as well :)

My puncture routine is now fairly bullet proof.

That sounds awful...I've planned my longer routes so as they do loops of my house inside a certain radius. I can do up to 70-80km spins and constantly remain inside 10km of the house. Tbh I'm too nervous yet to go much farther for fear of dying and not having the energy to get back as dad wouldn't be able to pick me up.
    Usually I run a lot anyway so that 10km is easy. I'd definitely prepare for punctures though if I was going outside of my 10km radius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It would be no harm practising removing a wheel/tyre/tube and replacing again as it's no fun learning how to do it on a dark wet night on an unlit road.

The rear wheel is more awkward than the front because of the chain/cassette etc.

I really need to do this. I'm gonna jinx myself by saying this but I've had gatorskins on now for a couple of years now (fair weather cyclist here) with no punctures. I do max probably 50km in one go. I do have tubes and a pump but I'd be that looser in a storm tryin to change a tyre and making an ass out of it.

I'm changing to clipless soon though as I'm doin longer distances more regularly.

Also really need to learn regular maintainence stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Well I'm within 10km of my house nearly all the time and at most 15km. I'm in shoes. So a brisk jog home if it happens.be good aerobic training .plus its all downhill home by the quickest route from just about anywhere

15km would take maybe 40mins on the bike but could take over two hours walking. 10/15 mins to replace or repair a tube makes all the difference when Mrs. crosstownk is waiting at the door with a rolling pin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

God be with the days when we had no mobile phones and no money for taxis and had to stuff the tyre with grass to limp home. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Hey guys.I've been cycling further these days now on my hybrid
    I did 45km the last day out I'm the middle of nowhere and the thought of a flat and JTS consequences didnt even enter my head till I got home. I was planning on attempting 55 maybe 60 tomorrow but I still haven't managed to get any tubes or repair kits from the shop. Would it be stupid to go for that long of a cycle again or is it unlikely I'll get a flat?

bring two spare tubes (you never know), 3 tyre levers (in case one breaks) and a hand pump. then, don't stress about it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just a question on tyres, what sort of distances are common to get out of them? I've done about 1,000km on my current set without much problems till lately, four punctures within 2 weeks. The threads in the centre of the tyre aren't very deep anymore so I guess this isn't helping. Neither too is the amount of glass out there, especially after the sunny weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just a question on tyres, what sort of distances are common to get out of them? I've done about 1,000km on my current set without much problems till lately, four punctures within 2 weeks. The threads in the centre of the tyre aren't very deep anymore so I guess this isn't helping. Neither too is the amount of glass out there, especially after the sunny weather.

1000km is very little I think. By comparison, I have 900km done on a set of the regularly mentioned Conti 4 Season, and they don't show any real wear. Schwalbe Big Apple on my Idworx tourer after just over 3000km and also nothing really showing wear. Schwalbe Marathon on commuter have I think over 4000km now and the rear is baldish.

4 punctures in 2 weeks means IMO they are not pumped properly or there is something in the wheel or spoke or something causing it.

If a tyre is pumped to proper psi, rolling over glass should not be a big concern *unless the chunks of glass are so big as to rip the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dissed doc wrote: »
    1000km is very little I think. By comparison, I have 900km done on a set of the regularly mentioned Conti 4 Season, and they don't show any real wear. Schwalbe Big Apple on my Idworx tourer after just over 3000km and also nothing really showing wear. Schwalbe Marathon on commuter have I think over 4000km now and the rear is baldish.

4 punctures in 2 weeks means IMO they are not pumped properly or there is something in the wheel or spoke or something causing it.

If a tyre is pumped to proper psi, rolling over glass should not be a big concern *unless the chunks of glass are so big as to rip the tyre.

Thanks for that. I think the psi may indeed be my problem. I was just pumping it to 'hard' with a petrol stations pump. Reason being is all I have at home is one of those crap hand pumps that can't get any decent level of pressure in them. Anyway I realise now what I need is a track pump with psi gauge. Just wondering though is there best practice to calculate the psi you should be running the tyres on? They're 26x1.5 tyres I use and I'm 85kg, is there a range I should be aiming for to help prevent punctures.

Otherwise I bought the bike second hand so there was already a fair bit of use on the tyres, I don't really know how much though as I'm not familiar with how deep bike tyre thread should be. They look bald enough to me so probably due a change, I think I've got upgrade-itis:D

Advertisement