Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling without puncture repair facilities

Options
  • 04-08-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.I've been cycling further these days now on my hybrid
    I did 45km the last day out I'm the middle of nowhere and the thought of a flat and JTS consequences didnt even enter my head till I got home. I was planning on attempting 55 maybe 60 tomorrow but I still haven't managed to get any tubes or repair kits from the shop. Would it be stupid to go for that long of a cycle again or is it unlikely I'll get a flat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

CJC999 wrote: »
    Yes.

It's nuts to go out for a spin of the lengths you mention without some means of repairing a puncture. It's a long walk home and will make sh1t of your cleats (if that's what you use).

I take a spare tube and a puncture repair kit. I'm confident at patching tubes hence a single replacement tube. If you're not good at tube patching then maybe consider taking two tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's nuts to go out for a spin of the lengths you mention without some means of repairing a puncture. It's a long walk home and will make sh1t of your cleats (if that's what you use).

I take a spare tube and a puncture repair kit. I'm confident at patching tubes hence a single replacement tube. If you're not good at tube patching then maybe consider taking two tubes.

I think there might be a repair kit in the press but it won't have the tubes. Is it possible to patch them on the road if it happens?

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I think there might be a repair kit in the press but it won't have the tubes. Is it possible to patch them on the road if it happens?

Yes it is possible but you have to allow for a punctured tube that is beyond repair - a split where the valve meets the tube is one that comes to mind.

Plus, replacing a tube is much quicker than repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I went on several 50+ k cycles on my hybrid without any means to fix a puncture, then I got a road bike and made sure I got spare tubes co2 canisters/ pump and puncture repair kit.
    Looking back it was stupid and you'll regret it if you get a flat.
    Just try get into your lbs ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

If a repair kit & spare tube is too big a load, suggest you wrap some duct tape around the pump, which ought to seal a puncture long enough to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... but I still haven't managed to get any tubes or repair kits...
    You'll need tyre levers and a pump also! ;)

Unless you have someone constantly at the end of a phone and available to rescue, it is foolish.

What tyres are you using? There's a huge difference in puncture resistance between tyres.

BGT wrote: »
    If a repair kit & spare tube is too big a load, suggest you wrap some duct tape around the pump, which ought to seal a puncture long enough to get home.

Its mainly that I've never cycled long distances and never had a punctured before. But I've always been within maybe 9km of home so even if it did happen its an easy walk.
    I'm only learning about these things now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I never bring any on my commute 20km per day total, however I did have a period of about 6 weeks where I got about 20 punctures, for the most part they seemed to happened not long after I left or just as I got to the office but about 3 were halfway between so needed new cleats.

When I go on longer cycles I bring a tube, someone else has a pump that I'm with, failing that I'll ring wife/mate

It would be no harm practising removing a wheel/tyre/tube and replacing again as it's no fun learning how to do it on a dark wet night on an unlit road.

The rear wheel is more awkward than the front because of the chain/cassette etc.

• Advertisement

You'll need tyre levers

I don't need tyre levers. I use Michelin Pro 4's that can be removed by hand. Not one puncture in over 2,500kms........ *touches wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It would be no harm practising removing a wheel/tyre/tube and replacing again as it's no fun learning how to do it on a dark wet night on an unlit road.

The rear wheel is more awkward than the front because of the chain/cassette etc.

As well as the above, if you have a mini pump, it's also worth letting a wheel down at home and counting how many "pumps" it takes to get it to a certain PSI (more or less) by cross referencing with a track pump or pressure gauge.

I know, I need to get a life or have "kids", as has been suggested by work colleagues.

I think it's a good tip. :(

I'm going to get some stuff tomorrow I think. Tubes and a repair kit to start off with. And get the basics of how to repair them down. My tires have never had a puncture but they're starting to wear so they could eventaully

As well as the above, if you have a mini pump, it's also worth letting a wheel down at home and counting how many "pumps" it takes to get it to a certain PSI (more or less) by cross referencing with a track pump or pressure gauge...
    It's also worth noting that it is very difficult to get a tube back up to 120psi with a mini-pump which means that one is more at risk of getting another puncture.

I rarely puncture but still bring 3 tubes and a repair kit. I used to bring a spare folded tyre also but have given that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We carry one of the mini tins or tyre weld stuff.. Seems great stuff as we've never had a puncture over the last couple of years we've carried it..

But seriously, I wouldn't be confident to repair a puncture nor change a tube roadside, I figure this stuff will get me home or back to the car and I can deal with the puncture or stick in a new tube at home..

€2/3 in Mr Price stores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It's also worth noting that it is very difficult to get a tube back up to 120psi with a mini-pump which means that one is more at risk of getting another puncture.

I rarely puncture but still bring 3 tubes and a repair kit. I used to bring a spare folded tyre also but have given that up!

I saw this one mentioned on boards.ie a fair few months ago. Great pump. I accidently got a repaired flat to 125 psi.

It's like a mini track pump. Quite long (10 inches?) for a "mini" pump but I have found that handy as I can put it in a back side pocket and see it at my side (can't fall out etc) I have it clipped onto my commuter.

Nothing worse than getting a puncture and deciding to "limp" home on a spare tube when you can confidently continue on with your cycle. IMO.

Can possibly be used as a weapon, if needed. I have yet to test that theory yet, thankfully.

_Brian wrote: »
    We carry one of the mini tins or tyre weld stuff.. Seems great stuff...
    Unsuitable for large holes/rips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I used to bring a spare folded tyre also but have given that up!

One of the lads on the Red Lane Red Line 600 audax event mentioned using his spare tyre because it was just too hard to find the embedded bit of glass that had caused the puncture. I'd understand that at 3 in the morning!...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

I recently got a puncture on my MTB on the Royal Canal - had no tube or pump with me but did have a tin of sealant bought previously from Lidl for 3.99 - i have to admit that i was'nt confident that it would do the job - but it did - sealing the tyre and also inflating it back to a pressure that i could confidentaly continue my journey albeit by road - i went straight to Lidl and bought a few more tins of the sealant - I have puncture resistant tyres on my hybrid - never had a puncture on it but also carry a tin of that sealant. If all else fails make sure you have your mobile phone - you can ring someone and also use the satnav (assuming you have it) to get you to a bike shop or a shorter route home

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I'm going to get some stuff tomorrow I think. Tubes and a repair kit to start off with. And get the basics of how to repair them down. My tires have never had a puncture but they're starting to wear so they could eventaully

Get the following and carry with you every ride
    -2 spare tubes
    -Puncture repair kit which includes several patches and some glue
    -2 and (preferably 3) tyre levers
    -Multi-tool
    -Spare quick link for your chain
    -a saddle bag to stick all of this in
    If you think you're tyres are worn, get a new pair, and spend lots of money on them, it will save you a lot of hassle with punctures. Something like Continental Gatorskins, gp 4 seasons would be good choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Hey guys.I've been cycling further these days now on my hybrid
    I did 45km the last day out I'm the middle of nowhere and the thought of a flat and JTS consequences didnt even enter my head till I got home. I was planning on attempting 55 maybe 60 tomorrow but I still haven't managed to get any tubes or repair kits from the shop. Would it be stupid to go for that long of a cycle again or is it unlikely I'll get a flat?

What plan have you to get home not 'if', but 'when', you get a puncture. Whether you are stupid or not probably depends on the answer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

fixie fox wrote: »
    What plan have you to get home not 'if', but 'when', you get a puncture. Whether you are stupid or not probably depends on the answer :-)

Bit harsh there fixie fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The park self adhesive patches are handy to have, easy to use with a negligible size.

bazermc wrote: »
    Bit harsh there fixie fox
    I don't mean to be - he did ask the question and I'm leaving the answer to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Everywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time. :)

I mostly do cycles like yourself where I do long enough distances but usually within a reasonable walk from home. Caught out once about 6k from home and carried a pump and repair kit since. Not had a puncture since thankfully. :)

fixie fox wrote: »

Well I'm within 10km of my house nearly all the time and at most 15km. I'm in shoes. So a brisk jog home if it happens.be good aerobic training .plus its all downhill home by the quickest route from just about anywhere

Well I'm within 10km of my house nearly all the time and at most 15km. I'm in shoes. So a brisk jog home if it happens.be good aerobic training .plus its all downhill home by the quickest route from just about anywhere
    This jury says not stupid so!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe, but you're talking about longer spins, and sure as hell the puncture will happen when that jog ends up being a marathon. As has already been said, 2 tubes, repair kit, mini-pump, multi-tool, and practice replacing a flat in the comfort of your own home so you know you can. The puncture will happen. Then second one possibly fifteen minutes later. The third one maybe another 18 months on... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just bring a small saddle bag with two tubes,three levers,some very basic tools and a puncture repair kit. The idea is not to fix punctures by the side of the road but just in case bring the repair kit. And don't forget a mini pump - it will get enough air in the tyre to get you home.

• Advertisement

Im going to get them as soon as possible. I have the list of essentials written down. Will hopefully get them sometime this week if not then next week at the latest. If Ind it very hard to get into town to buy stuff. Until then ill stay inside my 10km limit from the house. I'm very comfortable at that distance.
    I think my tyres are beginning to wear though especially my front one. Still I'm going to upgrade soon anyway.

Advertisement