Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too early to light the fire?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Tarzana wrote: »
    I grew up in a very poorly insulated, icy cold house and today I made myself a hot water bottle.
    You're getting soft in your old age. You are surely a woman.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

boobar wrote: »
    Sitting here, pouring rain outside, so it'll be a night in front of the TV.

It's quite cold...is it too early in the year to light the fire?

Should we just accept that Winter is here?

We went for dinner, came home, lit the fire, and just relaxed :)

Stheno wrote: »
    We went for dinner, came home, lit the fire, and just relaxed :)

Did you not have hot, sweaty sex in front of it? Waste of a good fire if ya didnt! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Irish female spotted.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    You're getting soft in your old age. You are surely a woman.

If you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭shewasdiesel

You can't beat sitting beside a nice warm turf fire with a drop of whiskey on a damp irish day looking at that homely glow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I asked the question to OH last night and she looked at me like I had 14 arses for a head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

You can't beat sitting beside a nice warm turf fire with a drop of whiskey on a damp irish day looking at that homely glow.
    Yep, in late autumn/winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The only reason one should light a fire in the summer is if they have a back boiler, water resting in a back boiler over a long time is not good can corrode.
    Other than that its madness, people need to get out during the day, get some fresh air, couped up watching hours of soaps and glued to the ipad is not healthy.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Yep, in late autumn/winter.

go on be a rebel . . . you don't need someone's permission to light one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Its autumn now go for it,start up that firelog and watch the glint in your eye from that lovely warmth

• Advertisement

It has been a mild, dry, sunny if breezy summer day (it's not autumn - look it up). :)
    Tarzana wrote: »
    Sometimes it's cold enough in the summer to warrant putting on the heat/a fire. It's not selfish.
    It is if the "cold" is only in one person's imagination and nobody else living there is cold, and wearing a jumper would remedy it.
    Objectively, it simply has not been "cold" over the last few days. A "chill" - wtf?!
    Dull/rainy/breezy/less warm does not mean cold.
    2011 and 2012 were actually quite cold for summers, but this summer has been extremely mild.

But if people want to convince themselves it's cold just because it's not that warm and act accordingly, fair enough if it doesn't affect others - but it is pretty weird, and it does indicate a need to toughen up in that department. And chimney smoke on a warm summer's day - boo-urns! What a downer! Can't the reminders of winter be left until winter?!

(I'm not talking about heating/fire to heat water btw - obviously if that's a necessity, it's a different story).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Lighting the fire now!??

I don't know what sort of weather ye are getting up the country but it's 18 degrees in Cork atm.

frimpong wrote: »
    Lighting the fire now!??

I don't know what sort of weather ye are getting up the country but it's 18 degrees in Cork atm.

Der's always plenty hot air about Cork :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I have the central heating on, it's fcuking freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Spent the day on the couch in front of the fire yesterday, in fairness we ended up being blown out of it with the heat but I'm lighting it again today!

Winter is coming.

Winter is coming.
    When will it climax! :P

When will it climax! :P

That's the million dollar question! Frankly I'm sick of waiting for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I didn't bother lighting it...

Going to wait until September now.

boobar wrote: »
    I didn't bother lighting it...

Going to wait until September now.

Ah go on just light a small one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

We had a fire on yesterday evening. Was just so dull & rainy. Love having a fire tho, so any excuse. Kinda enjoyed sitting in watching the match with a fire on & hearing rain belting off the window.

Are all the pro fire people who are talking about windy wet weather living on some island we don't know about? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It has been a mild, dry, sunny if breezy summer day (it's not autumn - look it up). :)

In Dublin, the temperature was 15c on Saturday. For summer, that's not mild and that would be the top temperature for the day. In the evening, the temp would have dropped back a fair bit and many houses would require some heating.

15c on a summer's day would rival the coldest days of summer 2011 and 2012. That summer 2014 has generally been warm is neither here nor there. The individual day was cold for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit nippy this evening, an Autumn feel about it.

Bit nippy this evening, an Autumn feel about it.

Have ya noticed the evenings getting horrid short? I'm glad I have all the turf in.

Have ya noticed the evenings getting horrid short? I'm glad I have all the turf in.

A Dub has the turf in?

And did ya save it all by yourself?

Sun streaming in the window. Blinds down - too warm.

A Dub has the turf in?

And did ya save it all by yourself?

I'm not a Dub. ;) I'm just residing in Dublin at the moment. You have to keep country!

Sun streaming in the window. Blinds down - too warm.

No sun here, lots of rain though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Weird weather here in Clare. It looks like Autumn at the front of the house and it's like Summer in the back garden. It's getting chilly during the night.

Advertisement