Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America as a whole expected to take responcibility for US torture methods after 9.11

Options
  • 02-08-2014 12:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

so, the leader of the "free" world has come out and admitted the american army/government etc "tortured some folks" in the "war agaist terror", well that's nice, years after we all know for sure illegal torture and illegal renditions etc were happening!!

he also stated the nation as a whole needs to now take responcibility for the actions so they hopefully won't happen again in the future.

let nobody forget that in 3 months between Jan and mid Mar 2003 up to 36,000,000 people protested at 3000 protests (worldwide!!) against the Iraq/Afghan invasion!!

where will it all end?

http://rt.com/usa/177444-obama-briefing-cia-torture/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

where will it all end?

With you tied to a plank and water being poured on your head, so be quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

he also stated the nation as a whole needs to now take responcibility for the actions so they hopefully won't happen again in the future.

Why and how? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Why and how? :confused:

fcuked if i know but then again this is the american/industrial war machine speaking out of O'Bombers ass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Mods, can we move this sh*** to Conspiracy Theories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why is the American president declaring the US used torture a "conspiracy theory"?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Why is the American president declaring the US used torture a "conspiracy theory"?

It's not. It's the tripe that surrounds it in the OP.

It's not. It's the tripe that surrounds it in the OP.

What in the OP qualifies as a conspiracy theory?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

All I can say to that article is... 'Murica

Nodin wrote: »
    What in the OP qualifies as a conspiracy theory?

'Where will it all end' for a start.

'Where will it all end' for a start.

Not seeing any conspiracy in that. The fact is that torture was instigated by Dick Cheney and his staff, aided and abetted by others in the Bush Government. Personally I would have thought they should take the blame and not the American people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The day I start reading RT articles about the US is the day I start reading Fox News ones about Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Is torture not a war crime? And should there be a case to answer in those international courts?

The day I started reading RT articles about the US is the day I start reading Fox News ones about Russia.

There ye are
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28616553

Is torture not a war crime? And should there be a case to answer in those international courts?

It's a crime in US law for which they've prosecuted people (though not to do with the current issue).

The US has not ratified the treaty with regard to the ICC. As it has a veto on the UNSC action is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Quelle Surprise....:rolleyes:

How long before they admit that Shannon was being used to transport prisoners...

I am appalled at his description of 'some folk'. I'm afraid I am not seeing the conspiracy theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

a war crime is whatever the US decides it to be at a particular moment in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

where will it all end?

http://rt.com/usa/177444-obama-briefing-cia-torture/

Are you surprised that a politician speaks horsesh*t?

Obama isn't the harbinger of change that he proclaimed himself to be...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

See, the thing with the concept of war crimes and human rights and all that jazz is that they are adhered to right up until they aren't and then the people/army/nation who breaks the rules just makes a half hearted excuse or justification and moves on.

The only people convicted of war crimes and human rights violations are the ones on the losing side.

All the protections we have relating to conflicts like this are complete illusions and people are more afraid of bad public sentiment than they are of being a war criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I See Op, In your world of sunshine and lollypops were terrorists run into building with exploding candy vests all you have to do is ask them about things and they will tell you. I don't agree with torture, but sometimes extraordinary measures are needed on such fanatical people. And before we go the whole, But the innocent people, Well that is unfortunate but even in the worlds justice systems innocent people get put in jail and arrested and so on. The world is not perfect by any stretch.

And when your protesting on your nice safe western streets, Why don’t you go to the places these guys are from that hate the west. You will be lifted fairly quickly just seen as another westerner, They could not care less if you supported them. You would be used as a bargaining chip/hostage or in one of them videos they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Funny

Same remarks as above where made just after 9/11 when discussing torture and look what was admitted 13 years later

• Advertisement

The day I start reading RT articles about the US is the day I start reading Fox News ones about Russia.

apt username ya got there buddy :)
    Quelle Surprise....:rolleyes:

How long before they admit that Shannon was being used to transport prisoners...

I am appalled at his description of 'some folk'. I'm afraid I am not seeing the conspiracy theory.

wikileaks already proved this back in 2010/2011 http://www.shannonwatch.org/blog/us-military-renditions-and-shannon-wikileaks-cables-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

When he says they are going o take responsibility for it he means the those involved will be brought before the courts, right?
    Those who carried it out, those who ordered it and those in a position to put a stop to it, but didn't - these people are all going to jail, right?
    Riiiiiiiiiight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Protesters demand President speaks out against torture methods........

President speaks out.... Condemned as torturer condoner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I See Op, In your world of sunshine and lollypops were terrorists run into building with exploding candy vests all you have to do is ask them about things and they will tell you. I don't agree with torture, but sometimes extraordinary measures are needed on such fanatical people. And before we go the whole, But the innocent people, Well that is unfortunate but even in the worlds justice systems innocent people get put in jail and arrested and so on. The world is not perfect by any stretch.

And when your protesting on your nice safe western streets, Why don’t you go to the places these guys are from that hate the west. You will be lifted fairly quickly just seen as another westerner, They could not care less if you supported them. You would be used as a bargaining chip/hostage or in one of them videos they make.

I believe that the point the OP is making is that the US denied it for years and twisted and turned splitting hairs on the definition of 'torture'. Nobody seriously believed they doing were anything but torturing. Maybe you can use that post latter on when more appropriate..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Warning about the following video that is linked, it is explicit and NSFW - it has uncensored photos and videos from Abu Ghraib, where prisoners were tortured and some murdered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVolRm1iqBY

I came across it yesterday, then heard what Obama had to say.
    It just leaves one feeling sick about how people could do this to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder will the Kremlins news channel ever mention what their paymasters do to get their info from it's enemies?

Protesters demand President speaks out against torture methods........

President speaks out.... Condemned as torturer condoner

no, it's the way he nonchalantly tries to rope in the whole American nation as being collectively responsible for the torture their government got up to on thier behalf after 9.11!!

up to 36,000,000 people protested aginst the (now known to be illegal) Iraq/Afghan wars worldwide in 3 months!!

weisses wrote: »
    Funny

Same remarks as above where made just after 9/11 when discussing torture and look what was admitted 13 years later

A few Arab terrorists were allegedly tortured. Big swizz.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Warning about the following video that is linked, it is explicit and NSFW - it has uncensored photos and videos from Abu Ghraib, where prisoners were tortured and some murdered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVolRm1iqBY

I came across it yesterday, then heard what Obama had to say.
    It just leaves one feeling sick about how people could do this to others.

it's ok, didn't you gert the memo, the whole of america is on the hook for, ya know, just "torturing some folks", they're all responsible!!

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder will the Kremlins news channel ever mention what their paymasters to to get their info from it's enemies?

the bbc and many other new outlets are carrying the same story, i just chose to put up the rt.com link myself, google away for other sources if ya need to, they're all carrying the very same story/video

Advertisement