Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbotstown Velodrome?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/ciaran-mckenna-ive-grave-reservations-about-national-track-set-up/

To quote him from the article:

I have grave reservations (about) it [national track set up] but I can see the logic in supporting it in the short and medium term,” he said.

“We need to keep lobbying and at the moment we are trying to convince our politicians we need a track and that we have a track programme worth funding.

We must be seen to have a track programme,” he continued.

We are stuck with it and if we miss one of these World Cups or other major event it makes it harder for the next time.

“And we might end up in a situation where we can’t go to the Worlds and then can’t go to the Olympics.

“I was over the high performance (national programme) for years before and it’s an area that absolutely just drains funds.

But when you have a chance of a medal you have to serve your riders."

That is how he spoke about it in his first interview since becoming president. It's the very opposite of enthusiastic. I am 100% convinced he would be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic about a recent Irish road world champion (Martyn Irvine won gold in 2013 as well as other medals) and if the Irish road squad had a change to medal or place top ten at the Olympics as the women's TP squad have.

I could go on but I won't for the sake of my blood pressure!

To be honest, I think you're missing the point of what he was saying and RobFowl has correctly summarised it. He showed up to the track AGM and engaged with us which Toomey did not. He spoke positively about funding for Sundrive Velodrome and emphasised the importance of building the velodrome. He is not a fan of the HP programme, and as said above, many agree.

This is the important bit, which you didn't highlight:

“We need to keep lobbying and at the moment we are trying to convince our politicians we need a track and that we have a track programme worth funding."

We can get angry about the whole velodrome issue, as I have done in the past, but sorting out the issues with road is the greater short-term priority. The velodrome is a longer term goal, which we need to be more realistic about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RobFowl wrote: »
    He's far from enthusiastic about the present track set up as in the percentage of HP funding which is spent on the track.
    He seems to accept that this is due to the UCI designed calendar and the funding criteria set by the sports council.
    He seems more enthusiastic about securing a track here and developing a better grass roots scene.
    He's far from alone in this view FWIW

Makes sense when you say it like that. The little I had read from him pre election was about male road racing so I didn't have much hope. I would be delighted to be wrong! In that interview he doesn't give MTB, CX or BMX any airtime. I would have thought in his first post election interview he should have at least some thought into other disciplines. I suppose track is lucky to have the mentions it does, that he went to the agm. Really wish I hadn't missed that, I fell asleep on the couch finishing a cup of tea before heading out to it which is the most pathetic reason to miss something ever :rolleyes:

Anyway that's all OT I suppose. Velodrome by 2020 possibly yeahie!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any recent updates on where this is at?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think funding is the current hurdle. Hoping we may hear something in the next Budget in October, but with a new Government who knows how they may re-prioritise things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    Think funding is the current hurdle. Hoping we may hear something in the next Budget in October, but with a new Government who knows how they may re-prioritise things

Our new Minister for Sport is probably feeling really good with the Olympics on, oh wait...

At least he might be pro-cycling? oh wait...

He must be good at something, surely? oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

buffalo wrote: »
    Our new Minister for Sport is probably feeling really good with the Olympics on, oh wait...

At least he might be pro-cycling? oh wait...

He must be good at something, surely? oh wait...

Pat Hickey trying out some of the themed accommodation in Rio apparently now!

sideshow_bob_in_prison__by_biggest_bob_fan_ever-d4v52op.png

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How are "we" doing in the Badminton? A couple of golds there might not go amiss....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It seems he really didn't like the idea...
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450
    Pat Hickey trying out some of the themed accommodation in Rio apparently now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're really good at producing people called pat who are heads of sporting organisations in this country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

we're really good at producing people called pat who are heads of sporting organisations in this country.

we are really good at producing heads of organisations who skim a little from themselfs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

godtabh wrote: »

we are really good at producing heads of organisations who skim a little from themselfs.
    Allegedly. :)

We are allegedly good ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »

For all his faults Pat McQuaid wasnt skimming things off. He was well paid but it was all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Judging by the initial reaction to this controversy it seems like schadenfreude is an acceptable end in itself, rather than fundamental change or reform.

It's related but a bit off topic but can anyone tell me why we need an OCI and a Sport Ireland. Surely they just overlap and duplicate functions?

Too much cash wasted on golden spires and not enough on the likes of velodromes !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For all his faults Pat McQuaid wasnt skimming things off. He was well paid but it was all above board.

I'm not speaking about any one in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I think you guys are wrong about Shane Ross here and he'll be full of support...

Press release 1: Abbotstown velodrome given full go-ahead!

Press release 2: Department advises that cycling is now forbidden outside of velodrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Can someone tell me if the proposed Velodrome 100% indoors ?

It looks like its 1/2 outdoors ?

aindriu80 wrote: »

It looks like its 1/2 outdoors ?
    What makes you think that?

Yes it's 100% indoors (although Manchester (the velodrome, not the city:)) did suffer from a leaky roof for a few years after it was opened!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If it's anything like the swimming pool, it'll be indoors and outdoors...
    when the roof blows away

• Advertisement

Yes it's 100% indoors (although Manchester (the velodrome, not the city:)) did suffer from a leaky roof for a few years after it was opened!)

rain indoors nice:D

Seriously, I was looking at the plans and most look like this :

Model%20photo%206%20TIFF%20COLOUR-cropbanner.jpg

looks half covered ?

That's illustrative to give you an idea of what it looks like on the inside and the outside

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's surely just a "cross-section" or such to show what it would like. You could hardly be playing badminton outdoors for one at that level.

Great ! It will be a big boost for cycling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

aindriu80 wrote: »

rain indoors nice:D

Seriously, I was looking at the plans and most look like this :

Model%20photo%206%20TIFF%20COLOUR-cropbanner.jpg

looks half covered ?

Are there any more publicly available planning drawings?

C-Shore wrote: »
    Are there any more publicly available planning drawings?
    All the planning permission documents are here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

What is this? A velodrome for ants?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

lennymc wrote: »
    What is this? A velodrome for ants?

The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

(Just got in before me!)

I think Cooney Architects are providing the plans :

http://www.cooneyarchitects.com/portfolio/badminton-velodrome-abbotstown/

Same look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I think you guys are wrong about Shane Ross here and he'll be full of support...

Press release 1: Abbotstown velodrome given full go-ahead!

Press release 2: Department advises that cycling is now forbidden outside of velodrome.

Yesterday I read an interview with Cav where he regailed a story about security not permitting access to the Rio Velodrome with their bikes via the car entrance and told to go to the pedestrian entrance and weren't allowed with bikes there either! Eventually befriended the security guard at the car entrance to get in.

I'd love to see that sign: "Velodrome, no bikes allowed".

Advertisement