Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Business Class

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I'd take Business West-Bound over East-Bound. Slightly longer flight, plus you can get work done and enjoy the service.

I agree that you get to enjoy the service more if you're awake. That said, I see the main benefit of business class as "buying a day of my life back" since I'm a functioning human the day of arriving off an eastbound business class flight. Anyone who saw me on Sunday could testify how utterly broken I am after an eastbound economy overnight flight.

I'm able to work in economy so long as the person in front doesn't recline, but maybe I'm just lucky. I got plenty done on the way over on the last trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Having just done the DUB-SFO-DUB trip I'd definitely say if you had to pick one trip to be flying business on, it'd be the eastbound. I was awake and watching films on my tablet the entire time westbound, because you want to be awake if you want to keep the jetlag away. Coming back, if you don't get even a little sleep on the flight, you're fecked for an entire day, and probably a few after that.

One small perk of the business class refit that I forgot to mention before - they didn't redesign the overhead panels, so you still have two air vents that you can point at yourself - this is especially good if you're lying down to sleep because it can get quite warm otherwise. That always annoyed me about BA's 747 business class - the upper deck offered a way better experience, but there was no air flow and you were roasting, horrible to sleep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'm lucky that jet lag doesn't affect me especially after coming back from east coast of America and would usually stay awake for the flight which can be less than 5 hours, get some food watch a movie or two and you're there. Stay up all day and go to bed 9pm Irish time and I'm back in Irish time. Obviously I'd prefer Business both ways but I would tend to prefer business heading over although could see why people would prefer it westbound

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pricing also has a lot to do with it. If you shop around and buy at the right time you can get Virgin Upper ex DUB via LGW/LHR for about €1400.

Delta also have their sales. I have gotten biz class for about €1500. On their A330 fleet it was angled lie flat, but the service is second to none.

US Airways, don't bother. If its the 757, its recliner seats.

But its always United for me. Lie Flat on the 757. That is a Continental route so its all ex CO crew and they are a step above any of the United crew. Again if you are smart with your buying, you can get business for around the €1500 mark.

Aer Lingus has always been way off the mark with its pricing. For all their sales, etc, you will never get business below €1800.

When I was booking the flights I just took, BA had a sale and it was GBP1600 return in FIRST class. Still booked Aer Lingus though, can't be overstated how much of a benefit not having to transfer thru LHR, and preclearance can be.

United used to be my go to Airline but want to give EI a chance with their new offering. UA is great but I feel EI will be a lot better, plus the avios program with EI is much better than United mileageplus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

United used to be my go to Airline but want to give EI a chance with their new offering. UA is great but I feel EI will be a lot better, plus the avios program with EI is much better than United mileageplus.

But EI dont have avios? (Yet anyway)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Razor44 wrote: »

You can credit EI flights to Avios at some extremely non-beneficial conversion rate from memory.

Razor44 wrote: »

You can earn and spend avios on EI flights. In fact (before 17th April) using Avios on EI is the best value for transatlantic business class flights. 50k return to Boston in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Learn something new everyday

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

You can earn and spend avios on EI flights. In fact (before 17th April) using Avios on EI is the best value for transatlantic business class flights. 50k return to Boston in business.
    Indeed I read that tip on another site a good while back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Is this the site that people talk on about they who are flyers? :D:D:D

English please

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    English please

Flyertalk and airlinersnet have both mentioned this avios conversion on EI tip in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Aer Lingus has always been way off the mark with its pricing. For all their sales, etc, you will never get business below €1800.

My wife is going SNN-JFK in sept for €1400 rtn, business,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tenger wrote: »
    Flyertalk and airlinersnet have both mentioned this avios conversion on EI tip in the past.

Its more to do with the distance band pricing for rewards, DUB-BOS is in a sweet spot, go any further and it hikes up

On the BOS flight 139 today its a Titan B767. Looking at the website it doesn't appear to have business class. What happens to people booked into business class?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

On the BOS flight 139 today its a Titan B767. Looking at the website it doesn't appear to have business class. What happens to people booked into business class?

Happened to me last week coming home from ORD, Omni air charter economy only so I was transfered to the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Neilw wrote: »
    Happened to me last week coming home from ORD, Omni air charter economy only so I was transfered to the next day.

sounds like shortage of airbus due to fitting new business class

Seems to be happening quite a bit. Would not be happy at all if I got swapped over. I see May 8th is titan 767 but 7th and 9th aren't. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

NSAman wrote: »
    sounds like shortage of airbus due to fitting new business class

I was told the airbus that was scheduled to leave Dublin didn't come out of maintenance, it got there a day late.
    Captain said there was a problem with the aux engine that still wasn't working when we were leaving ORD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

Neilw wrote: »
    Captain said there was a problem with the aux engine that still wasn't working when we were leaving ORD.

Wots an aux engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Must have working APU for ETOPS operations, no working APU you either don't fly or take a longer route to stay nearer to diversion airports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Must have working APU for ETOPS operations, no working APU you either don't fly or take a longer route to stay nearer to diversion airports

That depends on the type. On my type we can do 180 min ETOPS without an APU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you had booked a flight from say DUB-BOS on business class because it was going to be operated by an A330 and it would have the new business class and WiFi, could you claim something off Aer Lingus if your flight was operated by a 757?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Negative. MEL allows up to 180minutes ETOPS without APU working. That would get you across the Atlantic on any normal daily routing and avoid a longer sector across Greenland and skirting the edge of Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Just booked DUB>JFK for September. Looks to be the new seats, seating plan is different to usual. Looking forward to seeing it.

Just booked DUB>JFK for September. Looks to be the new seats, seating plan is different to usual......
    New seats are currently on all aircraft. Last 2 are down in Bordeaux getting refitted.

Can I enquire about ballpark cost on such a forward booking in J Class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

New seats are currently on all aircraft. Last 2 are down in Bordeaux getting refitted.

PMed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The wife got SNN-JFK in sept for €1400, about €150 up on last years price.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

olive20 wrote: »
    Wots an aux engine?

The APU is the auxiliary power unit. Simply its the little motor normally in the tail section of an aircraft you hear very loudly if boarding near the rear of the aircraft and its function is to provide ground power (electrical and pneumatic) to the aircraft. Again, simply you can have cabin lights, air cond etc without the engines running. Its also needed to start the engines of an aircraft. You can fly with it inop but under certain conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

basill wrote: »
    Negative. MEL allows up to 180minutes ETOPS without APU working. That would get you across the Atlantic on any normal daily routing and avoid a longer sector across Greenland and skirting the edge of Iceland.

...and the APU Master SW is set to OFF:)

Advertisement