Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - New Business Class

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

10153855_596284727106307_8170561402540200780_n_zpsa2231ee8.jpg

I'm flying EI Business SNN - BOS and then JFK - DUB. JFK flight will be the A330 new business. Is that photo above the B757 setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats the 757

Suppose its hard to tell without another angle but looks like quite a poor setup. Suppose SNN-BOS is only 5 or so hours and EI soft product tends to be quite good. Would have been nice to have consistency throughout the fleet.

Is there wifi on their 757?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Flew on New Business Class only a little over a week ago. I was actually shocked. ORD-DUB.. the area was not cleaned there was crusted something on the shelf in front of me.

Service was slow I have to say. The seats are much more comfortable with much more storage space than the previous seating. One little complaint, the headrest didn't seem to move. The lay flat bed worked perfectly and I managed to get some sleep which normally alludes me on flights.

It is an upgrade, however, long over due but will take any improvement that Aer Lingus can give the traveller.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Suppose its hard to tell without another angle but looks like quite a poor setup...... EI soft product tends to be quite good. Would have been nice to have consistency throughout the fleet.

Is there wifi on their 757?
    I have heard a handful of people saying that the B757 seats as quite comfy as recliners, flat beds not being as important on the shorter routes. This does not however mean that they weren't disappointed with the difference in advertised seats and actuality on the B757.

Soft product is good, however, the newer service seems to be slower than before. They added complexity a couple of years ago but didn't add more bodies to help. And going Eastbound fast service is preferred to allow maximum rest. I think EI should simplify Eastbound and leave the Westbound as a more realxed fine dining experience.
    Their new inflight menu is launching around now, no idea what changes they have planned for it.

I heard that 1 B757 was going to get Wi-FI as a test bed....not sure if that will actually happen however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Yes - the advertised seat has no mention of the 757, only the 330. The website has no mention of 757 J class which is a bit ridiculous considering they have 3 on t/a and yes United have 2 Cabin Crew on their Business First cabin for 16 Seats.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/inflight-experience/comfort-and-entertainment/longhaul-business

knockon wrote: »
    Yes - the advertised seat has no mention of the 757, only the 330. The website has no mention of 757 J class which is a bit ridiculous considering they have 3 on t/a and yes United have 2 Cabin Crew on their Business First cabin for 16 Seats....
    I think EI have 1 crew member for 12 J Class on the B757. The other 3 are in Y.
    I remember last year some EI spokesperson came up with the memorable phrase of "4 cabin crew compares favourably with similar capacity aircraft operating transcontinental in the USA" Talk about dodging the facts! Lets compare a US domestic A320/B737 to their B757 T/A operation!!
    knockon wrote: »
    ......The website has no mention of 757 J class which is a bit ridiculous considering they have 3 on t/a ....
    I think EI need to place a giant asterisk near the pic of those new seats

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Thats right. management and IMPACT locked horns over cabin crew on 757 and numbers ..... http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/aer-lingus-to-close-shannon-cabin-crew-base-1.1571800

And I see Omni are doing their own Flight and Cabin crews for the 12 weeks which the 767 will be used out of SNN during the Summer by EI. It does make sense really considering the short time period the aircraft is being utilized. http://www.clarecourier.ie/article.asp?id=4419

What flights will the 767 be flying? And what business seats are up front?

Tenger wrote: »

I think EI need to place a giant asterisk near the pic of those new seats

They really do. The B767 seats look like they won't recline that much at all. Aer Lingus is getting a bit of a reputation for bending the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What flights will the 767 be flying? And what business seats are up front?

Just SNN-BOS. I don't know is the business class has been fitted to the bird in question yet so that'd be hard enough to answer. However I wouldn't be too surprised if they're the same as the 757 - second hand refurbed Virgin seats as far as I remember, as there'd still be some knocking around and they clearly are OK for use in 757/767 frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Carnacalla wrote: »
    http://beaerospace.com/products/seating-products/business-class/millennium/

These will be the J class seats used by Aer Lingus for the 767

I posted that in the thread "Aer Lingus Fleet Discussion 2015" a while back. They appear to be new.

In exactly 2 months the 767 will be on its way to Boston with its first passengers. I wonder will it arrive with the seats fitted or will EI do that themselves?

Really not a fan of the inconsistency of the business class fleet. I know they're short flights but I'd be pretty disappointed without lie flat flying back from the states.

Really not a fan of the inconsistency of the business class fleet. I know they're short flights but I'd be pretty disappointed without lie flat flying back from the states.

Welcome to the world of Shannon Airport!
    We get awful inconsistencies from Aer Lingus and get attacked when we complain.

On another note, has anyone done a speed test on EI WiFi? I'd love to see how high the ping is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Welcome to the world of Shannon Airport!
    We get awful inconsistencies from Aer Lingus and get attacked when we complain.

Shannon gets a cost-appropriate service for its far lower demand.

If all EI had was A330s with lie-flats SNN would likely have a single plane, summer-only service if even.

L1011 wrote: »
    Shannon gets a cost-appropriate service for its far lower demand.

If all EI had was A330s with lie-flats SNN would likely have a single plane, summer-only service if even.

The inconsistencies in the Aer Lingus service is unacceptable no matter how low the demand. Demand is not an issue in that case.
    Shannon this summer will have 6 daily TATL flights with 5 757's and 1 767. That's not far lower demand.

I'm also not asking for an A330.

The inconsistencies in the Aer Lingus service is unacceptable no matter how low the demand. Demand is not an issue in that case.
    Shannon this summer will have 6 daily TATL flights with 5 757's and 1 767. That's not far lower demand.

I'm also not asking for an A330.

A better product will cost more and clearly EI have decided its not justifiable with the demand at SNN.

You're not being "attacked" when actual cold, hard facts that you dislike are being explained to you.

And yes, 5 757s and a 767 a day is far lower demand for TATL than Dublin will will have multiples of that.

L1011 wrote: »
    A better product will cost more and clearly EI have decided its not justifiable with the demand at SNN.

Throwing any old seat in there isn't acceptable.
    You're not being "attacked" when actual cold, hard facts that you dislike are being explained to you.
    I know the facts. Having a lower demand doesn't justify a sh*tty product in any sense. The American carriers have far better products. I'm not being attacked as such, but there is obviously a nice amount of hostility there when I'm answered to in such a condescending manner as you are doing.
    And yes, 5 757s and a 767 a day is far lower demand for TATL than Dublin will will have multiples of that.
    Its lower demand, but is not so desperately low that it warrents emphasis. Last year, United had more capacity in Shannon than Aer Lingus did. That's hardly devotion from a based airline.

Throwing any old seat in there isn't acceptable.

The 757 business class isn't "any old seat", its arguably better than what the 330 had until this season - and you weren't complaining about lack of consistency then!
    I know the facts. Having a lower demand doesn't justify a sh*tty product in any sense. The American carriers have far better products. I'm not being attacked as such, but there is obviously a nice amount of hostility there when I'm answered to in such a condescending manner as you are doing.

Its clear that you either don't know or don't want to know the facts on this.

Have you actually used any of the J class products you're talking about?
    Its lower demand, but is not so desperately low that it warrents emphasis. Last year, United had more capacity in Shannon than Aer Lingus did. That's hardly devotion from a based airline.

Its significantly lower - that's all that counted in that statement.

Airlines are not required to be "committed" to a base anyway, whatever relevance you thought that brought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

I've used the SNN - BOS EI 757 a few times now and overall I have to say they provide a fairly good service, the in-flight entertainment is far better than the A330 and you can plug in your own headphones which is a major plus. The food is grand however you seem to get less and less of it every year. I flew Delta to NY last year and I have to say the product they offered (for the same price) was far far superior, unlimited free alcohol, hot towels, as much food as you can eat, free eye patch sleepy things, pretty good in-flight entertainment and a proper amount of cabin crew so you were well taken care of. The AerLingus experience just feels toned down and done on the cheap. Maybe it has something to do with the American Airliners possibly getting more profit out of their Business class than EI can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

yer man! wrote: »
    I flew Delta to NY last year and I have to say the product they offered (for the same price) was far far superior, unlimited free alcohol, hot towels, as much food as you can eat, free eye patch sleepy things, pretty good in-flight entertainment and a proper amount of cabin crew so you were well taken care of. The AerLingus experience just feels toned down and done on the cheap.

Weird - flew back on EI146 on Monday in business, and had pretty much everything on that list.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Weird - flew back on EI146 on Monday in business, and had pretty much everything on that list.

I agree, EI has better food and far better service than business on AA and Delta. I fly a huge amount. BA is good, how they can say that Ibera is business class I will never know, it is awful.

That's the difference between J class in SNN and DUB.

They really do.............Aer Lingus is getting a bit of a reputation for bending the facts.
    Ive been saying that for years (although in relation to other issues) :rolleyes:

I've used the SNN - BOS EI 757 a few times now and overall I have to say they provide a fairly good service,............................I flew Delta to NY last year and I have to say the product they offered (for the same price) was far far superior, unlimited free alcohol, hot towels, as much food as you can eat, free eye patch sleepy things, pretty good in-flight entertainment and a proper amount of cabin crew so you were well taken care of. The AerLingus experience just feels toned down and done on the cheap........
    I think you highlight an important issue. EI are reducing staff and trying to keep the same service. 4 crew on a B757 vs 5/6 for the US airlines.
    Titan have 6 crew on their 264Y config B767......EI now have 5 crew for their 290 Y cabin on the A333.

At the same time EI are trying to introduce as much "ancillary revenue" products as they can on their T/A routes. This to me is going to drive away first time pax who are using EI and DUB.
    On another note, has anyone done a speed test on EI WiFi? I'd love to see how high the ping is.
    Well I know a girl and she was able to stream the Ireland vs Wales match for some J Class pax a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Oh sorry, forgot to mention these were economy class seats on both Delta and EI. I know it's off topic, sorry....

Oh sorry, forgot to mention these were economy class seats on both Delta and EI. I know it's off topic, sorry....

Well not off topic if the "new Business Class" is actually impacting the Economy class experience. EI at the moment are on a big PR campaign about the J Class product.....but nothing about Y. Funny that.
    Y Class class may not have the profit margin and/or RASK potential as J Class...however it is often the customers first experience with and airline. And with the EI business model I expect that some customers travel westbound in Business (going to meetings in the US) but travel back in Economy.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Tenger wrote: »
    And with the EI business model I expect that some customers travel westbound in Business (going to meetings in the US) but travel back in Economy.

Anyone who's paying for J one way and Y the other would be best advised to do the reverse. You want the bed on the way back! You shouldn't be sleeping on the way out.

I did DUB-SFO-DUB in economy last week and it was pretty solid. The amenity kits in economy are nice actually. When did they come in?

Sadly, an upgrade was silly money – I got quoted $2900 to upgrade the return leg. Considering the original ticket was ~€1,100 that would be ~€3200 for one way. I got DUB-AUH-SYD-AUH-DUB in Etihad's business class for not much more than that. I know it was last minute in terms of timing, but in €/hour terms Aer Lingus were looking for 4 times the money Etihad wanted and Etihad's business class is excellent.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Anyone who's paying for J one way and Y the other would be best advised to do the reverse. You want the bed on the way back! You shouldn't be sleeping on the way out.

I'd take Business West-Bound over East-Bound. Slightly longer flight, plus you can get work done and enjoy the service.

• Advertisement

I'd take Business West-Bound over East-Bound. Slightly longer flight, plus you can get work done and enjoy the service.

Oh god no,,,, travelling with the "commoners"?? sorry has to be business at the very least

I jest..;)

Advertisement