Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoy the community service!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It seems like if you commit a crime but you worked for Anglo you'll be ok ... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-anglo-employee-who-defrauded-200k-from-bank-avoids-jail-30459511.html

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Yep wasn't a fella jailed for 6 years for importing garlic illegally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

'Well, your honor, I shot this fella in the face, but I did not realize it was illegal your honor'

'Your free to go'

The lack of interest in this thread speaks volumes.

Its all gonna happen again and again and again.

Fuk it all, Im going as off grid as I can, Im mostly there, the Irish state can suck my cok until it cops the fuk on. Sorry for my drunken wordage.

Way to breed trust in the Republic.

The lack of interest in this thread speaks volumes.

I know, At the end of the trial the Judge actually said "Thank you Gentlemen, Enjoy the community service"

Does a Judge normally thank defendants for going to court?

• Advertisement

They top of society will always work hand in hand.

The bottom will whinge and moan about it until the next distraction arrives.

Honestly when there was such uproar about a feckin eegit singer with a cowboy hat for cancelled concerts and nothing about this we deserve everything we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

eviltwin wrote: »
    re the 411 licence non payments what is the point of sending someone to prison for a few hours??

That'll learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Maybe just maybe because of the banks collapsing and ruining our thriving economy and country and housing prices maybe these people could not afford to pay the fine? maybe? just a thought.

If they are that hard up, sell the tv.

dirtyden wrote: »

You can buy brand new 50" 1080p LED tv for around 500 euro,
    What gain would there be and to who to sell their dinosaur tv for 50 euro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

eviltwin wrote: »
    re the 411 licence non payments what is the point of sending someone to prison for a few hours??

so EVERYONE you come across along the way can be paid for dealing with such criminal scum
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    So we can expect the imminent arrest of the Financial Regulator board at the time?

Can we f***.
    RoboRat wrote: »
    (a) Don't pay a €1,000 fine and get sent to prison.
    (b) Be a part of the Bankruptcy of the country costing BILLIONS that will last for generations and get some community service.

Makes perfect sense.

Irony is that some of the people who fall into (a) have done so due to the actions of (b).

Utter utter lunacy, when will anybody actually be held accountable for what went on? These guys are not solely to blame but they had a big hand in one facet of it and should be punished accordingly.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's an inherent unfairness in all adversarial legal systems though. If you've got an expensive lawyer and all the best legal advice, you're going to get more resources poured into your defence.

Money buys good and well presented arguments and lots of research into potential ways out.

On the TV Licence thing, I think we need to stop using the prison service as a debt collection mechanism.

It's a bad idea, it's contrary to notions of human rights and we've been criticised for it by the UN.

Secondly, it's also extremely expensive. If you've outstanding fines or unpaid fees/taxes/licences there are other ways of collecting them and that's what most sensible legal systems do!

There's also an unfairness in the sense that a lot of minor things which can lead to jail sentences (i.e. stuff like non payment of TV licence) is often a summary conviction - i.e. tried before a judge with no jury and minimum opportunity for any kind of argument.

there will never ever ever be any form of true justice or any hint of accountability so long as the majority in this country consistently show they're fast asheep and couldn't care less

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

• Advertisement

You can buy brand new 50" 1080p LED tv for around 500 euro,
    What gain would there be and to who to sell their dinosaur tv for 50 euro?

They would not need a license though, if that is not stating the absolutely blatantly obvious.

They would not need a license though, if that is not stating the absolutely blatantly obvious.

So your first course of action if you couldn't afford to pay your tv licence on time would be to sell your tv, hmmm.

So if you cant afford to pay your car tax on time you'd sell your car too?

If you couldn't afford to pay the water charges you'd stop using water,

Cant afford to pay the property tax you'd sell your home.

And so on and so forth. Fair play to you.

Meanwhile the people who had a huge hand in bankrupting the Country walk free from Court but have to do 240 hours community work @ 40 hours a week = 6 weeks "hard" labour doing ...

• ground clearance work and general gardening projects;
    • graffiti removal; environmental work;
    • recycling projects;
    • basic building maintenance and landscaping;
    • improvements to park and community facilities;
    • painting and decorating in community centres etc;
    • assisting voluntary and community clubs, facilities and bodies;
    • working with individuals or groups in need;
    • supporting local initiatives.

So your first course of action if you couldn't afford to pay your tv licence on time would be to sell your tv, hmmm.

So if you cant afford to pay your car tax on time you'd sell your car too?

If you couldn't afford to pay the water charges you'd stop using water,

Cant afford to pay the property tax you'd sell your home.

And so on and so forth. Fair play to you.

Meanwhile the people who had a huge hand in bankrupting the Country walk free from Court but have to do 240 hours community work @ 40 hours a week = 6 weeks "hard" labour doing ...

• ground clearance work and general gardening projects;
    • graffiti removal; environmental work;
    • recycling projects;
    • basic building maintenance and landscaping;
    • improvements to park and community facilities;
    • painting and decorating in community centres etc;
    • assisting voluntary and community clubs, facilities and bodies;
    • working with individuals or groups in need;
    • supporting local initiatives.

No I pay my tv licencse. If I could not afford it I would not have a tv, similarly with a car, I pay my tax, but if I could not pay my car tax I would not run a car. You are missing my point and to be fair it was not clear so my fault. If one cannot afford a license one should not have a tv (sell your tv, pay the arrears and move on without a tv), and similarly with a car if one cant afford car tax don't run a car. Your point about being late I don't agree with, you wont be taken to court for missing any of these payments by a day or two, only if you refuse to make any effort to pay. But I only picked on that point in your original post because it has absolutely nothing to do with the other case involving Anglo.

The judge on the Anglo case made a considered judgement based upon his interpretation of the law not based upon anger with the state of the country and a need for a couple of fall guys to pay. The crash was a systemic failure and not just in Ireland. There has not been a flood of bankers going to prison anywhere. The main reason in my opinion for the crash was a systemic failure where immoral people run amok to make huge short term gains without any independent regulation or any kind of internal regulation within these banks. One could go arrest every bank manager in the country and send them to jail for a few years for handing out 120% 50 year mortgages to people who should not have got them. All of these people did the wrong thing and profited hugely from it but they were allowed and to be honest encouraged to do it by the light touch regulation system. Fixing the problems would be more useful than sending people to prison.

More about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Leave Jason and Ronnie alone lads.

Damnit somebody in before me :o

https://www.google.ie/search?q=McAteer+and+Whelan+charged&oq=McAteer+and+Whelan+charged&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=McAteer+and+Whelan+charged&tbm=nws

I hope they get to finish this batch of community service before the new one starts, poor fellas doing all that hard labour.

Advertisement