Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night 53 - Nelson vs Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I wouldnt argue with that but for a fight like the story nelson one not to get it when it went the distance and being a great fight surprises me very much
    It's happened so often in the past where main events have got it for just going the distance ahead of 3 round classics, gsp title fights the best example I can think of
    not sure which ones exactly but the gsp fitch was one of them which was anything but fotn

paddys on in about 7 mins

can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

mailburner wrote: »
    I wouldnt argue with that but for a fight like the story nelson one not to get it when it went the distance and being a great fight surprises me very much
    It's happened so often in the past where main events have got it for just going the distance ahead of 3 round classics, gsp title fights the best example I can think of
    not sure which ones exactly but the gsp fitch was one of them which was anything but fotn

Maybe GSP Koscheck? One sided affair GSP winning all 5 rounds. On that card here was some unknown who stepped on short notice on the prelims lost first 2 rounds but came back in the third and got a draw no bonus for efforts.

Maybe GSP Koscheck? One sided affair GSP winning all 5 rounds. On that card here was some unknown who stepped on short notice on the prelims lost first 2 rounds but came back in the third and got a draw no bonus for efforts.

absolutely, gsp kos another perfect example
    remember backing fights on these cards and feeling like I was robbed
    the reason why I don't touch the fotn market anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

mailburner wrote: »
    absolutely, gsp kos another perfect example
    remember backing fights on these cards and feeling like I was robbed
    the reason why I don't touch the fotn market anymore

I'd find it a tough nut to crack without obstacles in the way even, who woulda thought Kennedy Romero would have been FOTN at UFC178.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I'd find it a tough nut to crack without obstacles in the way even, who woulda thought Kennedy Romero would have been FOTN at UFC178.

exactly, reason why its a market to avoid
    everyone expected a borefest, reminds me of when fitch/penn got fotn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

darced wrote: »

Ya he took a lot of punishment there. He was doing OK in the standup as he was faster and he has a decent style. But he was too eager to grapple with yer man.

He recovered really well between rounds 2 and 3, I have to say I was impressed with that.

Not really next FlyW champ material though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I think the sbg guys where believing in their own hype just a wee bit.

Hopefully this will give them a kick up the arse, in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

As a bit of a UFC noob (well not really) I just havent watched it in a long time. Why is Nelson fighting out of SBG? Hes Icelandic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

Rough night for SBG,......worse f####n night for my bet365 account!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

bgrove wrote: »

Just goes to show the difference having your home crowd behind you actually does make.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bgrove

ps3man wrote: »
    Just goes to show the difference having your home crowd behind you actually does make.

Ya, if it was a three round fight I'd say nelson could have pulled it out. Not much seemed to go his way, the low hands and vulnerability to leg kicks all combined to scupper him? Nice wedge gone....ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a miraculous flying triangle from Gunni.

I'm Still waiting....clutching a paddy power slip full of broken dreams....can't believe it, he just didn't seem to flip the kill switch like in previous fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

bgrove wrote: »

Mine too man. Such is life though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the sbg guys where believing in their own hype just a wee bit.

Hopefully this will give them a kick up the arse, in the right way.
    The above might make sense, if they got into a fight vastly out of their depth, or had a lax approach to preparing. But I've no reason to thin they weren't committed to training and simply lost to closely match opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I think the SBG guys were given well matched opponents. Gunni, Paddy & Cathal all went to decision.

Really enjoyed Story vs Nelson. Story put in a great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The score in nelsons favour was much worse than the 50-44. I would have said 49-46 was a fair reflexion which is what the 2nd judge scored it. Always going to be tough for nelson against a huge ww with good wrestling as a defense.

I know john said he believed gunni was winning but a lot of coaches lie to their fighters about that. What was john to say. Gunni just needed to recover and not hear he needed to KO rick as i dont think thats gunnis game really. Commentators were so bias towards gunni as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I just can't get my head around 1 judge giving it 50-44, and people here saying that could well have been a 10-8 round.

C'mon, you don't get a 10-8 for just knocking someone on their arse, a 10-8 is dominance for the full 5mins, which IMO it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Very poor performances from pendred and nelson.
    Both have terrible stand up.
    Couldn't believe pendred didn't adapt his gameplan when it was obvious that leading with huge easily telegraphed uppercuts and hooks was not working.

Nelson's stand up has never looked crisp.
    He has machida's style without any of the accuracy.
    Thought he struggled against a very average Cummings in his last fight.

Talk of him becoming champion was very premature IMO.
    His game is not well rounded enough.

To be honest I think neither guy will ever be top 5
    If their stand up has not reached a decent level by this stage it will never be good enough to break into the top 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

When nights like UFC Dublin happen, SBG look great saying that they don't use game plans.

When days like yesterday happen, it makes you wonder about that philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

dulux99 wrote: »
    ...SBG look great saying that they don't use game plans....

Not too sure about this, think I remember JK saying, this all depends on the fighter. i.e. with some fighters they plan a bit more, while with others not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

gerryg80 wrote: »
    Not too sure about this, think I remember JK saying, this all depends on the fighter. i.e. with some fighters they plan a bit more, while with others not so much

Ok connor, go out there, start with two spinning kicks, then slag him a little, upper cut, wheel kick.

Imagine trying to game plan for him

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not having a game plan, is not the same as not having any adaptability. Its fine to "not have a game plan" provided you have the capacity to adapt on the fly. That didn't seem to be the case with Gunni... he didn't really show any alternative route to victory when his primary approach was countered.

The trouble with both Cathal and Gunni is that they are good, very good, but "good" isn't really enough now. "Good" got them here but they are going to encounter "excellent" and "astonishing" now. They're in the top division of the world at this point... :/
    (of course its very easy for me to sit here munching crisps saying that, they've still achieved tremendous accomplishments but unfortunately the top of any sport is the same. I'm not knocking them, I want them both to be champs, but the top tier demands something phenomenal).

DeVore wrote: »
    Not having a game plan, is not the same as not having any adaptability. Its fine to "not have a game plan" provided you have the capacity to adapt on the fly. That didn't seem to be the case with Gunni... he didn't really show any alternative route to victory when his primary approach was countered.

The trouble with both Cathal and Gunni is that they are good, very good, but "good" isn't really enough now. "Good" got them here but they are going to encounter "excellent" and "astonishing" now. They're in the top division of the world at this point... :/
    (of course its very easy for me to sit here munching crisps saying that, they've still achieved tremendous accomplishments but unfortunately the top of any sport is the same. I'm not knocking them, I want them both to be champs, but the top tier demands something phenomenal).
    Gunni and Cathal aren't even comparable. Gunni is far and away the better fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Personally, I don't buy the whole "no gameplan" thing. They may not have an explicit and rigid gameplan but they do prepare for each fight based on the opponents strengths/weaknesses.
    I remember watching Conor's documentary and in the lead up to the Holloway fight, they were in a hotel room and JK was showing Conor a certain move. I can't remember exactly what was said but basically JK was saying "Holloway likes to do "X", so when he does, you can do this move......."
    Clearly they do their research on their opponents and train accordingly. Going in with absolutely no gameplan is a recipe for disaster and SBG are a top team; there's no way they'd go in unprepared.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fair enough point but Cathal does have heart, you cant deny that. He needs to seriously sharpen his boxing but then he could challenge. That's the frustrating thing as a fan, they are all just lacking some sharpness in one area or another and then they could break through. I'm a huge Gunni fan, don't get me wrong, but a couple of weak points were exploited last night. I just want him to come back with them patched up and continue to motor up the rankings.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Fair enough point but Cathal does have heart, you cant deny that. He needs to seriously sharpen his boxing but then he could challenge. That's the frustrating thing as a fan, they are all just lacking some sharpness in one area or another and then they could break through. I'm a huge Gunni fan, don't get me wrong, but a couple of weak points were exploited last night. I just want him to come back with them patched up and continue to motor up the rankings.

Rick Story put together a hell of a fight and shut Gunni down. He deserves serious praise for that. It was no fluke he beat Hendricks either. bad stylistic matchup and an example of why Gunni will struggle vs strong wrestlers (to be very honest I'm surprised Gunni managed to land a few takedowns, but he just wasn't strong enough to hold Story down).

The side on stance is vulnerable to leg kicks, and I haven't seen any checking from Gunni. Conor is fairly good at this and has much better footwork and lateral movement (Gunni backs off in straight lines too often).

As for heart, heart is great but it doesn't beat better fighters. Was never a huge fan of trading brain cells for victories. Much prefer to see technique prevail and Pendred showed precious little Saturday night. Much the same as his previous few fights. If he can't muscle his opponent in the wrestling department his game devolves into slow and untechnical striking.

Advertisement