Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night 53 - Nelson vs Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Give us a smile there Rick"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Gunnar is one fighter that will get technically better every fight but I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough to make up for his disadvantages in size. Even Machida had to drop a division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Gunnar is one fighter that will get technically better every fight but I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough to make up for his disadvantages in size. Even Machida had to drop a division.

He's still small for MW, he weighed 202 for LHW and had more fat on him. He weighed about 190 when he fought Weidman (see embedded) and it showed. He could easily fight at WW and not lose any muscle mass (which is a terrifying prospect - but doesn't have to, his TDD is unreal and he has nasty striking). Weidman is a huge MW though and weighs about 210 in the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Crazy scorecards, but good decision. Story won that fight. Pretty impressed with Story, very strong for a smaller guy, solid wrestling, solid chin, can punch... Once it was apparent Gunny couldn't bully him grappling, it was always an uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Fair point and id tend to agree. If i was Gunni id have an out of competition go at making 155.

I know it's easy for me to say it while I'm sitting down drinking beer and eating crisps but I've seen the grub gunni puts away for lunch first hand in a cafe around the corner from sbg, and the man can down his grub!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I wonder what Gunni walks around at. He isn't completely lean and I don't think he cuts much weight so I imagine he could drop a division possibly, or alternatively spend some time putting on a bit of extra muscle for power. Might seem a bit knee-jerk but things aren't going to get any easier from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Couple of lucky wins for Connor are making sbg look much better than they are. Kavanagh has a lot to learn. Pendred looked like dog shiit tonight and Gunnar was septic. Dave Jones will be smiling tonight.

Gumbi wrote: »
    He's still small for MW, he weighed 202 for LHW and had more fat on him. He weighed about 190 when he fought Weidman (see embedded) and it showed. He could easily fight at WW and not lose any muscle mass. Weidman is a huge MW though and weighs about 210 in the cage.

He's very cut at MW, I can't imagine him losing another 15 lbs without dropping some size.

I wonder what Gunni walks around at. He isn't completely lean and I don't think he cuts much weight so I imagine he could drop a division possibly, or alternatively spend some time putting on a bit of extra muscle for power. Might seem a bit knee-jerk but things aren't going to get any easier from here.

Easily. He weighed 175 in a CW bout recently where his opponent weighed 183.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ufc fight night Stockholm , curse of the Vikings

• Advertisement

Couple of lucky wins for Connor are making sbg look much better than they are. Kavanagh has a lot to learn. Pendred looked like dog shiit tonight and Gunnar was septic. Dave Jones will be smiling tonight.

I know you're trolling but I don't think you're totally wrong with regards to SBG, calling Conor's wons lucky is making anything you say invalid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was a bit weird how calm Kavanagh was. It was obvious by round 3 that Gunni was in for a massive battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

50-44 wasn't that outrageous, the knockdown was worthy of a 10-8 and I don't think Gunnar won any rounds clearly.

agreed

far more scandalous was one judge giving gunni the verdict
    that to me would have been one of the worst calls of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Credit where credit is due, Story looked fantastic. He had a perfect gameplan and stuck to it. Disagree with the 50-44 though

I can't understand why everyone at SBG isn't a top level boxer, it's something that serves McGregor so well and there's a great boxing tradition in this country. Pendred's striking is glacial, it's slow and it's not technical. Gunnar's unorthodox style works but if he could switch it up to a traditional boxing style he could catch opponents off guard.

darced wrote: »

I'm not sure he's as athletic or really as physically gifted in any way. He's not as intimidating either, Story would never have imposed himself on Conor like that.

He's very cut at MW, I can't imagine him losing another 15 lbs without dropping some size.

People are weighing more than Machida when they fight at WW by cutting lots of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

think this win will make gunni better but not sure he will ever be a top 5 guy
    that imo was evident against cummings
    story the first big test and by far the best he has faced so far

must admit when story beat hendricks and alves I honestly thought he was 2/3 fights away from fighting for the belt, takes a fight against brenneman
    at short notice which he lost and loses a couple more fights to opponents like
    pyle who he's much better than
    always wondered what happened to story, really hope he goes on a run now

hY06tOv.jpg

He looks very dry at 185, the cut to 170 would leave him drained.

People are weighing more than Machida when they fight at WW by cutting lots of water.

Nope. Check him at LHW. He would weighed in at 202. Some WWs are WEIGH 200 in the cage. And Machida weighs less than he did at LHW (less fat on him). He would FOR SURE be able to fight WW IF he wanted. But he does rely on his speed so maybe he doesn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Did paddy hoolihan win?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did paddy hoolihan win?

That card hasn't even started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That card hasn't even started yet.

Oh. He's on tonight's card? I thought it was the Sweden card

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Oh. He's on tonight's card? I thought it was the Sweden card

Yep. Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

10440960_10205250122756087_2788469987111361909_n.jpg?oh=77e41c053f8c64be15455c85abbb3232&oe=54BCB9C0&__gda__=1421960150_1207a8e813a32fee9a89cf011e42dab8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

sheehy83 wrote: »
    10440960_10205250122756087_2788469987111361909_n.jpg?oh=77e41c053f8c64be15455c85abbb3232&oe=54BCB9C0&__gda__=1421960150_1207a8e813a32fee9a89cf011e42dab8

You'd swear nelson won.

Advertisement