Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jnlrs aug 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Hear, hear.

I think Spin SW has improved dramatically in the last year or two. Their Breakfast slot rivals anything else available here, the Zoo Crew in the evenings is good craic,......

You'll love the changes coming down the line at Spin SW so :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

More Music wrote: »
    You'll love the changes coming down the line at Spin SW so :(

Ah they're changing are they? I know they were advertising positions recently...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ah they're changing are they? I know they were advertising positions recently...

Andrew Morrissey has returned to Radio Kerry to cohost breakfast there

any more changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

blue4ever wrote: »
    2014: 07.00-10.00 41,000 - 4%

2013: 06.00-10.00 35,000 - 3%

Better that previous - but should never have n=been moved!

Isn't the show on from 6am? Have 98fm fiddled with the time block to inflate the numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Isn't the show on from 6am? Have 98fm fiddled with the time block to inflate the numbers?

6:30 start time now. Think 6:00 to 6:30 is a best of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

In a word, yes.

By doing what they're doing, they have boosted the average quarter of the show. His true figure based on 6-10 (the time the show goes out) would be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

In a word, yes.

By doing what they're doing, they have boosted the average quarter of the show. His true figure based on 6-10 (the time the show goes out) would be lower.

So it's a false number then? I can't see the ad houses liking that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So it's a false number then? I can't see the ad houses liking that.

Unless they don't sell ads during the 6-7 hour at the same rate they charge for 9-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

When I found myself in agreement with this particular poster, I had to open the curtains to make sure hell hadn't frozen over... But it's amazing that Tubridy keeps every job he gets in RTE when he's so poor at everything he does...

I'm not sure how RTE ever expected 2FM listeners to take to his moralistic, aloof, conservative reading of the morning newspapers.. Sneering at the people that a lot of working class people idolize... I sometimes tune in to laugh at his stuffiness. On occasion he's even refused to discuss stories that he feels are beneath him..

It seems like the only person who is happy with Tubridy's performance on 2FM is Ray D'Arcy. However, if RTE do the unlikely thing and fire him, I may feel like Homer felt when Flanderszzz' Leftorium closed down.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Hello boardsies,

JNLR analysis time again - as always absolute credit goes to Conor and ilevel.ie for the detailed analysis and excellent charts. Far better than anything I could ever manage but here's my humble contribution divided as always into Good book/Bad book and generally focus on the Dublin market.

Good book: Most stations this time around will be happy enough with at least some element of the figures and won't have to spin too much. Newstalk will of course be very satisfied with their continuing upward trend and are now at a very impressive 10% share. As has been stated elsewhere, it is now entirely possible that Newstalk may become the second most listened to radio station in Dublin in the next year or so. That would be great for them, and testament to their agressive marketing and recruitement but of course deeply depressing for music radio.

Good book too for Today FM who clawed back some of the share they have lost recently in Dublin. 6.1% is OK but when you think that they were well above 7% in the recent past they still have work to do. While DOB invests his cash into Newstalk, Today FM has been starved of the all important marketing cash they need to compete. Good book for Dempsey and perhaps the forthcoming changes at lunchtime will also provide more stability.

Good too for 98FM (although coming from a tiny base) and Spin 1038 who manage to keep their share in that 6-8% bracket consistently. What will be of concern to them is the loss of yet another 1% (running at about 1% per book) drop off in 15-24 year olds listening to radio at all. It's the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about, let alone plan for.

RTE will be happy enough with the performance of Radio 1. Sean O Rourke has held reach better than expected and the rises and falls elsewhere are easily within normal variations. The performance of the Saturday and Sunday sports programmes will also give them cause to be happy.

Good book too for TXFM which rose from the ashes of Phantom at the end of March. Some smart marketing activity and good PR have doubtless helped here as has a more focussed product offering. Time will tell whether that product offering actually gets listeners to stick after the bounce which should last another couple of books. Will they be an XFM Manchester (happy face) or an XFM London (sad face) by this time next year?

Bad book obviously for RTE 2FM who came so close to overtaking Today FM for the first time in several years before dropping back significantly this time around. Everything that is being said by Dan Healy about this being a time of transition is entirely true and it's an incredibly difficult task to try to make such radical changes so it deserves more time to see does it bed in. The next two books should give us a much better idea with all the attention being focussed on Breakfast, Drive and Tubridy.

Bit of a dodgy trend emerging for FM104 as well who are seeing their share slowly erode over time. The big drop this time around shouldn't be viewed in isolation - it really is the average over a number of books that provides the actual trend. At one point, they were actually at 14.4% share which was incredible but mainly down to 98FM's implosion. If they can maintain at about 11% then they will be very happy as they should be.

Over in Castleforbes Road, decent trends for both Nova and 4FM although 4FM is still spectacularly punching below it's weight. The small incremental rises have been good but still being shy of Sunshines Market Share after 5 years on air isn't great and must be putting a financial strain on. Sunshine has dropped a bit in share but seems to have settled well into its Easy listening format.

That should cover it. As always, feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer.

RadioAnalyst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Great as always RadioAnalyst - what's your more detailed take on TXFM? I was under the impression the launch was considered a masterclass in incompetence, and the website is still disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MediaStar

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    6:30 start time now. Think 6:00 to 6:30 is a best of.
    Unless they don't sell ads during the 6-7 hour at the same rate they charge for 9-10.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm coming from an agency background on JNLRS and not radio. Time blocks change a lot across all stations, so we tend not to take too much notice of those to be honest.

We would look at the overall all reach and market share, plus the audience profile of each station.

For example the figures quoted earlier for Ray Foley are reach figures and not average quarter hour, so a change in time block wont effect reach the same way it would aqh.

All stations sell on two rates: Primetime which is 7am to 7pm and TAP, or Total Audience Package. This usually runs 6am to midnight, and is a mix of Primetime and off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

Great as always RadioAnalyst - what's your more detailed take on TXFM? I was under the impression the launch was considered a masterclass in incompetence, and the website is still disastrous.

Thanks KingofFairview. The posts are interesting to put together and I hope they add a bit to peoples understanding of the JNLR. On that note, thanks to Mediastar (topical name!) for the agency insight too - always good to get the buyers perspective. I come from a Marketing backround and many others come from the programming side so anything that adds to the knowledge base on here is very welcome.

To answer your question KingOfFairview, lets look at the numbers first. All the daytime shows recorded increases in this book with 8000 now tuning in at breakfast and lunchtime and 9000 tuning in to drive. These figures are broadly similar to this time last year but the important thing is that they were declining at that point and this book has stopped the decline. Perhaps more importantly, the 6 month figure for the station overall is showing at 22,000 listeners per day compared with 17,000 a year ago. The figures themselves are still extremely low but at least show positive trends.

When Lite FM became Q102 in Q1 2004 they saw very healthy increases in the post-relaunch books with a 13% reach and double digit share if I remember correctly. 4FM perhaps made the mistake of not relaunching (under a new name) when they made very significant programme changes. The relaunch for TXFM should get them good ratings value for the rest of the year at least. The fact that the daytime product is much better than the latter days of Phantom and that some marketing activity is being undertaken helps too.

You mention the launch itself and the digital strategy and you are absolutely right. While the output itself is improved, the handling of the online side of the operation, particularly around launch time (remembering that online is one of TXFM's biggest competitors) has been very messy. Given the staff numbers though, it's not surprising. Truth is, the worst thing that TXFM has done to hamstring itself now was to be as bad as Phantom was for the last 2/3 years of its existence. That pushed more listeners away from them and radio than a poorly conceived digital strategy ever could.

RadioAnalyst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As always, excellent summary RadioAnalyst. Interesting to see the results of the poison moving from phantom to 2fm as well: when there are figures to back all this up it's amazing that serially terrible presenters still get support.

It's also a sad irony that the things txfm are getting right now are the same things that the two Richies started doing on their evening show, and those two guys weren't kept on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Does anybody have 2fm's top 5 shows list ? RTE didn't publish it on their website this time. i wonder why :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Good book too for TXFM which rose from the ashes of Phantom at the end of March. Some smart marketing activity and good PR have doubtless helped here as has a more focussed product offering. Time will tell whether that product offering actually gets listeners to stick after the bounce which should last another couple of books. Will they be an XFM Manchester (happy face) or an XFM London (sad face) by this time next year?

RadioAnalyst

I think your good self, predicted that they would get a lift post launch.

Just wondering what in your view was the smart marketing and good PR? The digital launch was a disaster and the mentioned promo campaign didn't seem to materialise. Certainly seemed to be more of the same on the listener facing side - perhaps they are doing a bang up job selling their story to agencies and advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Does anybody have 2fm's top 5 shows list ? RTE didn't publish it on their website this time. i wonder why :-)

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2014-q2-station-programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Changes on both shows that u rated!

Andrew Morrissey rejoining Radio Kerry and changes to Zoo Crew also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭GSF

Any figures for TodayFm on Sundays? They made quite a few changes in moving Jim ONeill and the oldies from lunchtimes. Is it paying off for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

GSF wrote: »
    Any figures for TodayFm on Sundays? They made quite a few changes in moving Jim ONeill and the oldies from lunchtimes. Is it paying off for them?

Adding to that, any figures for Newstalk on the weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/newstalks-pat-kenny-wins-20000-listeners-in-mid-morning-radio-battle-but-is-still-173k-behind-rtes-sean-orourke-30475946.html

There was a better breakdown in the actual paper than online, but I think the article pretty much covers it anyway. In summary, the top five "losers" were either RTE1 or 2fm. Note how it mentions the way Tubridy's show continues to "bleed listeners."

I have to admit that I'm converting to the music programs on RTE1, such as Late Date and Ronan Collin's show. Though, the latter is usually switched on in work. I keep meaning to listen to John Creedon's show, which I have heard some of, and have liked what I've heard. I even listen to a bit of Marty in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Csalem

pc7 wrote: »
    Good to see NT doing so well, I really enjoy the breakfast show with Ivan, I could listen to him all day. Pat is doing well on NT, it was a great move for NT.
    How did Joe Duffy do?

Joe Duffy was down but still the number 2 show on RTE 1 (and nationally I think).

Personally I think it is a good sign. During the recession Liveline's figures seemed to have followed the live register. As the latter increased, so did the number of listeners. Since the live register has started to decrease, so has the number of people listening to Liveline. Liveline can be used as a marker for our economic performance. :)

And a quick thank you to ilevel.ie! I always love the JNLRs but could never find detailed breakdowns for the stations until I found that website. I now love pouring over the figures published there every three months to see the trends in Irish radio. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

see if this helps any with the weekend stats

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Any word on how Lyric faired by presenter? The indications from what I could see was a very small national increase, fuelled by an increase in listening in Dublin but I may have misinterpreted the graphs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

NorthDown2 wrote: »
    Any word on how Lyric faired by presenter? The indications from what I could see was a very small national increase, fuelled by an increase in listening in Dublin but I may have misinterpreted the graphs.

according to the Graphs, Lyric appears to be the only station that has more listeners in the Afternoon than the morning. They appear to peak at 5.00 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

according to the Graphs, Lyric appears to be the only station that has more listeners in the Afternoon than the morning. They appear to peak at 5.00 pm.

Spin 1038's graph is similar in that it rises steadily as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

reg114 wrote: »
    Spin 1038's graph is similar in that it rises steadily as the day goes on.

Teenagers and the retired refusing to get up early in the morning.

Wastrels the lot of them

Advertisement