Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So less and less of 747

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

smurfjed wrote: »
    Chatting to my boss yesterday about the first time that i met him, he was Captain on a -SP, i was a passenger, we landed on RWY23 in London Heathrow, its always funny that older people can remember age old events, but nothing about yesterday :)

How may of you remember RWY 23 in LHR?

Yes! Parts of it still there. I wonder have they taken down that infamous 'LHR' signpost for pilots on approach to RWY 23 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Yes! Parts of it still there. I wonder have they taken down that infamous 'LHR' signpost for pilots on approach to RWY 23 :D

Is that on the gas tank near Southall?

I've seen that recently although it just says LH and has an arrow.

Is that on the gas tank near Southall?

I've seen that recently although it just says LH and has an arrow.

Probably is. I suppose why pay when mother nature will bring it down for you. I've been at LHR some years now and can only remember RWY 05 being used one time only. RWY 23 a few times. When RWY 23 was used the B747's still had to use RWY 27L. KLM's F27's had to abort the approach and return to Eindhoven.

If anyone is interested another of BA's B747-400's was withdrawn from service. On Aug 11, G-BNLI went to CWL for all useful cabin components to be removed. On the other hand, possibly BA's last B777-300, G-STBL, entered service the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

If anyone is interested another of BA's B747-400's was withdrawn from service. On Aug 11, G-BNLI went to CWL for all useful cabin components to be removed. On the other hand, possibly BA's last B777-300, G-STBL, entered service the following day.

How many 744's does that leave them with now? Any idea when the entire fleet of 74's will be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

as of today they say 57 boeing 74-400

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    How many 744's does that leave them with now? Any idea when the entire fleet of 74's will be gone?

BA have 46 B747-400's in service. There is still a few more to be withdrawn. The remainder will stay in service until the 2020's.

BA have 46 B747-400's in service. There is still a few more to be withdrawn. The remainder will stay in service until the 2020's.

Cool thanks

Below is the withdrawl list for the next 2 years. One of them may get a repreive as G-BNLL was not on the planned withdrawl list but has been forced in to early retirement.

G-BNLF - Sept 2014
    G-BNLG - July 2015
    G-BNLU - Oct 2015
    G-BNLV - Nov 2015
    G-BNLW - Oct 2014
    G-BNLX - Nov 2015
    G-BNLZ - Jan 2016

Below is the withdrawl list for the next 2 years. One of them may get a repreive as G-BNLL was not on the planned withdrawl list but has been forced in to early retirement.

G-BNLF - Sept 2014
    G-BNLG - July 2015
    G-BNLU - Oct 2015
    G-BNLV - Nov 2015
    G-BNLW - Oct 2014
    G-BNLX - Nov 2015
    G-BNLZ - Jan 2016

Thats great thanks dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

G-BNLF - Sept 2014
    G-BNLG - July 2015
    G-BNLU - Oct 2015
    G-BNLV - Nov 2015
    G-BNLW - Oct 2014
    G-BNLX - Nov 2015
    G-BNLZ - Jan 2016

Why early retirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

adam88 wrote: »
    Why early retirement

It sustained a lot of damage when it collided with a building at Johannesburg.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6004994

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

G-BNLF - Sept 2014 ............ -Dlvrd Feb 1990
    G-BNLG - July 2015 ............ -Jan 1992
    G-BNLU - Oct 2015 .............-Jan 1992
    G-BNLV - Nov 2015 ............ -Feb 1992
    G-BNLW - Oct 2014 ............ -Mar 1992
    G-BNLX - Nov 2015 ............ -Apr 1992
    G-BNLZ - Jan 2016 ........... -Sep 1993
    I added in delivery dates to show the age of these soon to be retired airframes.

Definitely a 'beginning of the end' sense that we will see less and less of the B747 over the next 5-10 years. BA were always proud to be known as the biggest operator of B747;s in the world.

EDIT: Anyone else see this article?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905

In BA the story goes on. A new B787-8 G-ZBJH arrived from Paine Field on August 16. Today, August 18, a B767-300 G-BNWH retired. Off to CWL and soon heading for the retirement home in Victorville.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

BA have announced a cabin refresh to 18 747s

http://www.thebasource.com/british-airways-announces-b747-400-cabin-refresh-program/
    British Airways today announced that eighteen Boeing 747-400 aircraft will go through a cabin refresh program which will commence in August 2015 and be completed by August 2016. The aircraft will be fitted with the Panasonic eX3 IFE system in all classes. The World Traveller and World Traveller Plus cabins will be fitted with new seat foams and covers to match the A380, Boeing 777-300ER and refurbished B777-200/200ER fleets, and new carpets and curtains will be fitted in all cabins. Additionally Economy passengers will have access to a Universal Power Socket and a USB Port.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Good to hear, the Queen of the Skies will ply her trade for a good few years yet. Also the IFE on some older BA 747's is crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And some days people get lucky, not one, but two identical B747-SP's at the same time:)

http://www.planepictures.net/netsearch4.cgi?srch=Three+Forty&srng=2&stype=name

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭Rotunda Shill

Dose that Evergreen 747 still practice training in and out of Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

pclancy wrote: »

Here is that 747-400 in SFO in April this year

LbSTXTb.jpg

Happened to see this B747 close up only 10 days ago. (Walking past its boarding gate) If I had of known I would have made the effort to snap a shot. ( I was going to but said to myself... "sure its just another B747")

• Advertisement

032660-367a143e-a76f-11e4-a9d7-6cc5c5f56890.jpg

Qantas finally retiring VH-OJA, the record breaking first 747-400 that flew non stop between Sydney and London....somehow its managed to escape the Mojave desert and is going to a museum.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/qantas-to-donate-first-747-400-to-museum-408421/

Its flight from Sydney to its new home will be incredibly short...1 minute cruise!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

are boeing still making new 747-8's or is their order book empty?

do they have plans in place for a new super jumbo or is it something they are not looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

are boeing still making new 747-8's or is their order book empty?
    ?

They only have about another 30 left to deliver and then the order book is empty. The freighter version may have a bit of a future. A combination of the 777 and 787 have killed off the 747 and 767.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

We had winds from the south last week so it resulted in aircraft taking off over the city (not ireland), I loved the sound of Classic 747's struggling into the sky during heavy weight takeoffs, so so different to modern airliners :) In these things a rate of 500 fpm with ALL engines was common :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

It's a pity Boeing messed up with the -8i. You know you have a problem when not even BA buy your new Boeing.

I'm wondering what Qantas will do longterm. Being based down in New Zealand they have been my airline of choice for many years and i've clocked up a lot of miles on the 747s. They have refurbished several of them with the A380 interior so they're not showing their age at all.

The A380s really don't feel as solid, they rattle and shake during takeoff and landing even though they are much much younger, they seem to suffer turbulance more and the crews differ greatly being on a different employment contract. I'll be sad to see them go but I wonder what they will replace them with. They seem to have snubbed the 777/787 for A330/80s, maybe they'll focus on the A350.

man98 wrote: »
    It's a pity Boeing messed up with the -8i. You know you have a problem when not even BA buy your new Boeing.

I would not say that they 'messed up' as such. The potential threat of the A380 (which has not materialised) forced their hand into an update of the hugely successful B744. While Boeing publicly stated that they thought the future was in point to point rather than mega hubs they had to do something to protect their dominance of the 'jumbo' market.

At the same time their designers were improving and enlarging the B777 into the B777-300ER which is a huge success.

I would agree with the prevailing view that it was the success of the B777 and the under development B777x that has killed off the B747, not the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Honestly I'm not a fan of the -8i, but I think aviation is really moving on from status (planes that stand out) and into the identical twin jets which are being released. Even the A340 is gone, I imagine the A380 will only have so long, same with the 747 (unless there's a -500 or -900 to replace it with more safety exits).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

afatbollix wrote: »
    That is at the top gear test track. It was used in the James Bond film and left there. They were trying to sell it for ages but now used as a Film set for Films and TV programs.

G-BDXJ.jpg

Sorry for the size of the photo (not mine) but that's clearly a real B474 vs a photoshop...

• Advertisement

Reoil wrote: »
    Sorry for the size of the photo (not mine) but that's clearly a real B474 vs a photoshop...

Indeed it is, it is mocked up with the twin engine pod and outboard fuel tank? for its part if the Bond movie. (not Skyfall)

Advertisement