Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So less and less of 747

Options
  • 27-07-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Would I be right in saying were going to see less and less of 747 in commercial service these days. Only a few of the large carriers are using them and I'm nearly sure they'd get rid of them if fiances allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

adam88 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying were going to see less and less of 747 in commercial service these days. Only a few of the large carriers are using them and I'm nearly sure they'd get rid of them if fiances allowed.

My pre-nup explicitly states that I get to keep the family 747.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Would I be right in saying were going to see less and less of 747 in commercial service these days. Only a few of the large carriers are using them and I'm nearly sure they'd get rid of them if finances allowed.

Fixed that for ya!! :)

In relation to the B747. Yes their overall numbers will drop from here on in. It was/is a magnificent aircraft and was partially responsible for making mass air travel possible.

Unfortunately its efficiency has been superseded by the B773/A380. The industry as a whole has seen the move away from massive hubs into a growth of point to point services. The B787/A350 will continue this process.

However the B747 will continue to grace global skies for many years to come. Especially with the B748i so recently having entered service. Cargo Ops of course will continue for even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I was at FRA the other day, it was great to see so many 747's trundling around the tarmac - both cargo and passenger LH and UA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I remember back in the 1980's spending happy days at Heathrow plane-spotting on top of The Queen's Building and seeing dozens of 747s arriving and departing all day.

I recall reading an article at the time that on a good day at Heathrow, roughly 10% of the world's B 747 fleet was on the ground at any given time.

A wonderful sight, a heavily laden departing 747, lifting off so slowly and lumbering into the sky - almost in slow motion.

Those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Tenger wrote: »

In relation to the B747. Yes their overall numbers will drop from here on in. It was/is a magnificent aircraft and was partially responsible for making mass air travel possible.

Unfortunately its efficiency has been superseded by the B773/A380. The industry as a whole has seen the move away from massive hubs into a growth of point to point services. The B787/A350 will continue this process.

However the B747 will continue to grace global skies for many years to come. Especially with the B748i so recently having entered service. Cargo Ops of course will continue for even longer.

Someone needs to tell ethiad and emeriates that the hub idea is being phased out. Lol

• Advertisement

Someone needs to tell ethiad and emiriates that the hub idea is being phased out. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Even the air France cargo 747 hasn't been seen in Dublin for a while!

Someone needs to tell ethiad and emiriates that the hub idea is being phased out. Lol

I think "phased out" may be a bit strong. "Less reliant on" would be more suited.

However the B777-9X concept does have the possibility of allowing ultra long haul flights, which could mean the stop in DXB/AUH/IST could be avoided. (However I cant see EK changing their network in this instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My local airport has about 25 of them dumped either awaiting sale or scrapping, but we still have a lot of them operating, as someone pointed out, the 747 costs very little to purchase or lease these days, its fuel costs are certainly higher than the 777/A380, but for airlines without the ability to finance the capital outlay, they still love the Jumbo. We still operate 4 of them in VIP configuration, and at a guess due to leased aircraft numbers changing, we have about another 30 of them in passenger or cargo configurations, so that means i get to see -SP's/100/200/300/400/8F's on a daily basis :):)
    Couple of friends flying the -8F, they love it, and considering that they jumped from A320's into the left seat of the 747, its quite a transition.
    I think that i will be lucky to see 747's around my skies for years to come.

smurfjed wrote: »
    My local airport has about 25 of them dumped either awaiting sale or scrapping, but we still have a lot of them operating, as someone pointed out, the 747 costs very little to purchase or lease these days, its fuel costs are certainly higher than the 777/A380, but for airlines without the ability to finance the capital outlay, they still love the Jumbo. We still operate 4 of them in VIP configuration, and at a guess due to leased aircraft numbers changing, we have about another 30 of them in passenger or cargo configurations, so that means i get to see -SP's/100/200/300/400/8F's on a daily basis :):)
    Couple of friends flying the -8F, they love it, and considering that they jumped from A320's into the left seat of the 747, its quite a transition.
    I think that i will be lucky to see 747's around my skies for years to come.

I'd give my left arm to get into one of the VIP configurations. I suppose I could dream on and hope that one day I'll be successful to enjoy such luxury. Lol

• Advertisement

Couple of friends flying the -8F, they love it, and considering that they jumped from A320's into the left seat of the 747, its quite a transition.......
    Thats a huge jump to the left.....a million mils and more I would say.

It no longer fits most airlines models due to its fuel thirsty engines and the fact it has four, four seems to be an evil word for airlines. Two is the in word for short medium and long haul flying. Even the A380 is suffering and Emirates are demanding an engine improvement to improve fuel burn.

14589536130_2c8d704021_c.jpg

Could this be a secret replacement for the B747?

14589536130_2c8d704021_c.jpg

Could this be a secret replacement for the B747?

Sorry for being so slow but am I missing something

Umm, i thought that it looked funny to see the wings with loads of engines.... but i guess not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Umm, i thought that it looked funny to see the wings with loads of engines.... but i guess not!

He may be just slow, I got it

Sorry for being so slow but am I missing something

Yup. His humour. Not a bad thing though. I got it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Heartbreaking - but the 747 on the way out, A380 seems to be the future for long haul high volume passengers.

And the 748 is such a beauty .. I'm gonna try and book a Lufty long haul with that - pity they don't go to San Fran ..

Everything has it's time an then we move on. Plenty have said the same for other aircraft. Concorde in particular.

Everything has it's time an then we move on. Plenty have said the same for other aircraft. Concorde in particular.

747 >>>>>>>> Concorde !!

:P

• Advertisement

Total number of Concorde aircraft built = 14, total number of B747's = over 1500. Not really a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The 747 will be a round for a long time as a heavy weight freighter as the MD11/B777F have not got cargo doors big enough to get certain freight on board,But a lot of the express freight crowd are going for big twins like the 777F take the MD11F from memory it holds 26 main deck spaces on the upper deck and the 777F 27.
    Now it might only be one position more but you don't have the cost of running an extra engine.

Total number of Concorde aircraft built = 14, total number of B747's = over 1500. Not really a fair comparison.

Wasn't there a russian "Concorde" aswell ?

the_monkey wrote: »

Yeah, the Tupolev TU-144

Did it ever enter commercial service?

Did it ever enter commercial service?

For a brief spell, not long

the_monkey wrote: »

I think there were only ever 2.

EDIT:
    Oops. 16!!!

Must look at wiki before posting

I think there were only ever 2.

There was 16 of the TU-144 built, 2 crashed in the prototype and testing stages, there was only a total of only 102 commercial flights with them, the rest were all cargo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,826 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They will indeed remain as freighters for many years to come. I can also see a surge at some point in the 748F orders although the pax version doesn't seem to be catching on. Twins are certainly where it's at which is a shame in a way as the 748 is a great aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You'll still see them around for a while, but maybe not so much in the northern hemisphere.

Qantas are one airline that have really held on tightly to their 747s and will be flying them for some time to come, having refitting nine of them with their A380 style interior and upgrades. I think a mixture of bad management and delays to their A380 and Dreamliner orders made them forced to hold on to them and their 767s way longer then planned, an expensive fleet to maintain! The other problem for Qantas is the 747 crews are on a very expensive and rigid employment agreement, generally tend to be the older mature FAs, with the younger FAs being posted straight to the A380 on a cheaper contact.

Their other 6 are on the way out and I think well overdue as their interiors were getting quite tatty. Sad though as at one stage I think Qantas were entirely made up of 747s and even a few 747SPs crossed the Tasman and Domestic Oz routes.

Check out this photo of the upper deck back in the day:

4d6cd57e814c49d7bdbf7241767f1341-747-captaincook.jpg

Air New Zealand have only a handful left and Singapore and Cathay following suit.

Advertisement