Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safely reduce body fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Could also overeat Salmon.

No you couldn't. Anyway who eats salmon on its own apart from the Inuits (traditional diet)?

ford2600 wrote: »
    I do a 2,500 calorie 4 egg omelette with chorizo and bacon, and loads of cheese, butter, coconut and olive oil.

You'll be happy and fat!

You'd be happy and satiated for a long time but you wouldn't get fat. You'd never get fat eating that along with eating the right foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Apart from avoiding bread, fruit rice etc...fasting a couple of days works. Don't have to starve yourself just avoid eating until evening if you can or stopping eating about 5pm until noon the following day, works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I am 5'8'', I don’t do any exercise and weigh 95kg.
    I have a BMR of about 2000 calories. Ill add on 500 for regular day to day stuff.
    So I need 2500 calories to stay how I am.

You are telling me I couldn’t consume this on a daily basis?:

Breakfast:
    3 Eggs scrambled. (approx. 220 cals 15g Fat 18g Protein
    6 Slices Bacon. (approx. 300cals, 12g Fat, 25g protein)

Snack:
    4 spoons of Almond butter. Approx 80g. (Approx 500 cals, 6g Carb 43g Fat 22g Protein)

Lunch:
    2 Salmon Darnes.(approx. 430cals 0g Carb, 29g Fat, 42g protein) 2 poached eggs. (approx. 150cals 0 Carb, 10g Fat, 12g Protein) Broccoli and nut salad (approx. 150cals).

Snack:
    A bag of Cashew nuts (100g). ( approx. 600cals 18g Carb, 48g Fat, 18g Protein)

Dinner:
    Half roast chicken (500cals 0g Carb,18g fat, 70g protein) and vegetable and avocado salad (150cals 15g carbs,38g fat 10g protein).

Snack:
    250g Greek Yoghurt with two scoops whey protein. (approx. 550 cals 15g carbs, 20g fat, 50g protein)

Totals:
    Cals 3550
    Fat 233g
    Protein 267g
    Carbs 59g

What will the extra 1000 calories do?
    Where will it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Anyway who eats salmon on its own apart from the Inuits (traditional diet)?

Drain the Atlantic, bring me it's bounty and I'll show you.

• Advertisement

I am 5'8'', I don’t do any exercise and weigh 95kg.
    I have a BMR of about 2000 calories. Ill add on 500 for regular day to day stuff.
    So I need 2500 calories to stay how I am.

You are telling me I couldn’t consume this on a daily basis?:

Breakfast:
    3 Eggs scrambled. (approx. 220 cals 15g Fat 18g Protein
    6 Slices Bacon. (approx. 300cals, 12g Fat, 25g protein)

Snack:
    4 spoons of Almond butter. Approx 80g. (Approx 500 cals, 6g Carb 43g Fat 22g Protein)

Lunch:
    2 Salmon Darnes.(approx. 430cals 0g Carb, 29g Fat, 42g protein) 2 poached eggs. (approx. 150cals 0 Carb, 10g Fat, 12g Protein) Broccoli and nut salad (approx. 150cals).

Snack:
    A bag of Cashew nuts (100g). ( approx. 600cals 18g Carb, 48g Fat, 18g Protein)

Dinner:
    Half roast chicken (500cals 0g Carb,18g fat, 70g protein) and vegetable and avocado salad (150cals 15g carbs,38g fat 10g protein).

Snack:
    250g Greek Yoghurt with two scoops whey protein. (approx. 550 cals 15g carbs, 20g fat, 50g protein)

Totals:
    Cals 3550
    Fat 233g
    Protein 267g
    Carbs 59g

What will the extra 1000 calories do?
    Where will it go?

I'm sure you could. Your body will adapt. You won't get fat (good calories mostly from real food sources) but I'd avoid all the nuts and whey. I'd replace them with butter, cheese, cream, coconut oil, macadamia nuts etc.. Ideally include the above at meal time . You shouldn't need to snack.

My body will adapt?

What will that adaptation be?

Mindblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My body will adapt?

Against the laws of physics, apparently.

My body will adapt?

Fat adapted. See Sam Feltham on YouTube or watch cereal killers. You'll be shocked.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Against the laws of physics, apparently.

http://time.com/2988142/you-asked-are-all-calories-created-equal/

What do you make of this article?

Are you going to reply?

When I posted this before all the calories in calories out people went into hiding!

Fat adapted. See Sam Feltham on YouTube or watch cereal killers. You'll be shocked.

Fat adapted. Ok.

So I can eat that previous diet, including the improvements you suggested (macademias, cheese, cream, no whey etc) totalling 3500 calories and not put on any extra fat tissue.

If I increase my portion sizes, to say, 4500 total calories will I get fat?
    What about 6000?
    8000?
    At what stage of total calorie intake will I start getting fat? or will I keep adapting, and so, continuously be able to increase my calorie intake without getting fatter?

You realise the logical conclusion of your argument is that I could theoretically eat for every single waking moment of the day and not get fat.

Does that not sound a bit ridiculous to you?

Another thing:

Why do we get fat? What is the evolutionary reason for us storing fat tissue?

Fat adapted. Ok.

So I can eat that previous diet, including the improvements you suggested (macademias, cheese, cream, no whey etc) totalling 3500 calories and not put on any extra fat tissue.

If I increase my portion sizes, to say, 4500 total calories will I get fat?
    What about 6000?
    8000?
    At what stage of total calorie intake will I start getting fat? or will I keep adapting, and so, continuously be able to increase my calorie intake without getting fatter?

You realise the logical conclusion of your argument is that I could theoretically eat for every single waking moment of the day and not get fat.

Does that not sound a bit ridiculous to you?

Another thing:

Why do we get fat? What is the evolutionary reason for us storing fat tissue?

Pretty much yes. Also if you've fat to lose you will lose it .

You're the one creating ridiculous scenarios. It's just about eating until you're satisfied. If this means 3,500, 4000 so be it. Eat when hungry- stop when satisfied.

I'm eating around 4000 calories a day. Some days more some days less. I've lost over 8% bf since doing so.

Have you read or listened to any of Gary Taubes books? The title of one of his books is the question you posed. The answers are all in there.

Pretty much yes. Also if you've fat to lose you will lose it .

You're the one creating ridiculous scenarios. It's just about eating until you're satisfied. If this means 3,500, 4000 so be it. Eat when hungry- stop when satisfied.

I'm eating around 4000 calories a day. Some days more some days less. I've lost over 8% bf since doing so.

Have you read or listened to any of Gary Taubes books? The title of one of his books is the question you posed. The answers are all in there.

What is your typical daily diet and activity level?

Are you going to reply?

When I posted this before all the calories in calories out people went into hiding!

I agree that not all calories are equal. Processed carbs and other sugars are a bad source of energy and cause horrible appetite feedback. High sugar diets are the primary cause of the modern obesity epidemic. This article is just touching on what is becoming common knowledge that the "low-fat" debacle of the last thirty years was a false solution and has caused more harm than good. Fat has a great role in a healthy diet.

It doesn't, however, support your bizarre claim that no one will get fat eating fat. If I eat 5000 calories of cheese per day I'm getting fat no matter how few carbs I eat.

What is your typical daily diet and activity level?

Average day would be something like this.

Omelette 3/4 eggs, creme fraiche, cheese, spinach or kale mushroom and onion, 3 slices bacon, olive oil and butter

Or Greek Yogurt. (3/4 glenisk tub) with berries and cinnamon.

Lunch / dinner. Chicken Korma/Tikka Masala, steak, fish all served with lots of veg and butter

Snacks or with meals: macadamia nuts. (125 grams), Greek yogurt , dark chocolate, cheese.

Coffee with cream or butter and coconut oil (usually 3 of these daily)

I agree that not all calories are equal. Processed carbs and other sugars are a bad source of energy and cause horrible appetite feedback. High sugar diets are the primary cause of the modern obesity epidemic. This article is just touching on what is becoming common knowledge that the "low-fat" debacle of the last thirty years was a false solution and has caused more harm than good. Fat has a great role in a healthy diet.

It doesn't, however, support your bizarre claim that no one will get fat eating fat. If I eat 5000 calories of cheese per day I'm getting fat no matter how few carbs I eat.

I seriously doubt you'd get fat eating that but nobody ever would eat that so it's a ridiculous scenario. Seriously go watch Sam Feltham on YouTube or cereal killers documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Bruno why are you mentioning that the nuts have 125 cals if cals don't count on a high fat diet?

I seriously doubt you'd get fat eating that but nobody ever would eat that so it's a ridiculous scenario. Seriously go watch Sam Feltham on YouTube or cereal killers documentary.

No. You don't just get to go "Go read such and such a book" or "Watch this video" instead of actually making an argument yourself. It's lazy and pointless and none of us are going to do an assigned reading list.

You're the one making the absurd claim that people can eat thousands of calories over maintenance as long as its fat and not gain weight. We know that is not how the body works - ambiguous claims of the body "adapting" are not reasonable. What is it doing with 2000 more calories than it needs, beaming them into space?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Bruno why are you mentioning that the nuts have 125 cals if cals don't count on a high fat diet?

125 grams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Ok but my point remains, why measure them?

No. You don't just get to go "Go read such and such a book" or "Watch this video" instead of actually making an argument yourself. It's lazy and pointless and none of us are going to do an assigned reading list.

You're the one making the absurd claim that people can eat thousands of calories over maintenance as long as its fat and not gain weight. We know that is not how the body works - ambiguous claims of the body "adapting" are not reasonable. What is it doing with 2000 more calories than it needs, beaming them into space?

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Ok but my point remains, why measure them?

I eat about half a packet of macadamia nuts daily = 125 grams of nuts . I don't count how many I eat. I just put it up as the calorie counters like to workout calories.

You really seem to like getting other people to talk for you.

An experiment with a sample group of one, where the subject is also the tester, is completely irrelevant. There are reasons that real studies need large numbers of subjects and have protocols in place to ensure the testers maintain objectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Are you going to reply?

I for one did not get into hiding, just got bored of your wrong assertion that as long as you eat <150g carbs/day, you can literally eat as much protein and fats and not put on any fat.
    Oh, and it is idea to eat <100g carbs/day if you are overweight, as you will lose fat.
    Of, but if you eat <50g carbs/day and are overweight, it is a better than ideal way to lose fat :confused:

Your problem is you are avoiding all the questions that expose the flaws in this hypothesis. You simply avoid answering.

Erh, what?
    I thought you said you will not get fat no matter how much protein or fat you eat as long as you carb intake was less than 150g day? Are you saying now that you "seriously doubt" as opposed to you absolutely will not?

Why is the idea of eating 5000 calories on a very low carb diet ridiculous? Do you think that it is impossible or unlikely?
    If not impossible, then what happens if one was to do it?

BTW: I previously posted what I ate in 1 day from my keto diet which was 3500 calories. I explained how I could have easily consumed another 1000 calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have you read that carefully?
    That article pretty much shoots your point down. Thanks for posting though.
    If a calorie is just a calorie when it comes to eating food, over the 21 days I should have put on 7.3kg ending up at 92.9kg from my starting weight of 85.6kg. However, after a 56,654 calorie surplus over the 21 days I ended up putting on 1.3kg ending up at 86.9kg

So first things first, over the 3 weeks he put on 1.3 kilos. (less than the predicted 7.3kg - I'll come back to that in a minute.) So there you have it, clear as day, in an article you provided, he was over-eating on a HFLC diet and he put on weight. So you've now proved that your idea that you "can't gain weight" on a high fat diet is incorrect. There was unstoppable no fat adaption, he actually put on weight.

So, even if your underlying point is shown to be wrong - we shouldn't ignore the discrepancy between the predicted and the actual gain (7.3kg verses 1.3kg). If this were as simple as an 80% fat fain reduction, it'd still be a good result. Unfortunately, its not that simple. His method lets him down an lot here.

He is weighing his entire body and using that to assume changes in fat mass. This is flawed. Bodyweight is a factor of more than just body-fat. As I'm sure you know Bruno. Anybody who's tracked their weight in relation to their diet knows that, they'll see how much weight can fluctuate in a short period - this is obviously non fat related weight change.

From the article;
    when we store carbohydrates we can store approximately 2,000 calories or 500g worth on the average person
    That is correct.
    This is your glycogen stores. And for every gram of carbohydrate stored, your body also stores 3g of water.
    This is why when people switch to low carb diet they have an initial large sudden drop in weight. The guy in the article ignored this.
    500g is just a rough number, it’s dependant on muscle mass. Actual storage is c. 15g/kg, which can add up a good bit more in larger/leaner individuals. But I’ll use his figure of 500g of glycogen, that’s worth c.2kg of weight on the scales. So 1.3kg, could be more like a 3.3kg fat gain.
    This theory is reinforced by the non-linear weight gain he had. The gained 0.1kg in the first half and 1.2kg in the second*. His weight slightly dipped in the first few days which also backs up the glycogen depletion theory. If he kept putting on weight at the rate of the second half, it’d be a gain of 40kg per year.

His intake was also flawed. Over half his energy came from nuts (450g/3084calories per day). There is a well documented mal-absorption of nutrients associated with eating high quantities of nuts. Which basically means if you eat a lot of nuts, you may not absorb all the nutrients (including energy). It makes sense really, if partial nuts are coming out the other end, then how could your body have that energy. This reduced absorption is thought be about 20% for almonds and other nuts (peanuts are about 10-15%).

If we apply a 20% reduction to the calories he ate from nuts. That’s almost 13,000 calories off his intake over 3 weeks. Or 1.7kg less predicted fat gain.

Mellor wrote: »
    Have you read that carefully?
    That article pretty much shoots your point down. Thanks for posting though.

So first things first, over the 3 weeks he put on 1.3 kilos. (less than the predicted 7.3kg - I'll come back to that in a minute.) So there you have it, clear as day, in an article you provided, he was over-eating on a HFLC diet and he put on weight. So you've now proved that your idea that you "can't gain weight" on a high fat diet is incorrect. There was unstoppable no fat adaption, he actually put on weight.

So, even if your underlying point is shown to be wrong - we shouldn't ignore the discrepancy between the predicted and the actual gain (7.3kg verses 1.3kg). If this were as simple as an 80% fat fain reduction, it'd still be a good result. Unfortunately, its not that simple. His method lets him down an lot here.

He is weighing his entire body and using that to assume changes in fat mass. This is flawed. Bodyweight is a factor of more than just body-fat. As I'm sure you know Bruno. Anybody who's tracked their weight in relation to their diet knows that, they'll see how much weight can fluctuate in a short period - this is obviously non fat related weight change.

From the article;

That is correct.
    This is your glycogen stores. And for every gram of carbohydrate stored, your body also stores 3g of water.
    This is why when people switch to low carb diet they have an initial large sudden drop in weight. The guy in the article ignored this.
    500g is just a rough number, it’s dependant on muscle mass. Actual storage is c. 15g/kg, which can add up a good bit more in larger/leaner individuals. But I’ll use his figure of 500g of glycogen, that’s worth c.2kg of weight on the scales. So 1.3kg, could be more like a 3.3kg fat gain.
    This theory is reinforced by the non-linear weight gain he had. The gained 0.1kg in the first half and 1.2kg in the second*. His weight slightly dipped in the first few days which also backs up the glycogen depletion theory. If he kept putting on weight at the rate of the second half, it’d be a gain of 40kg per year.

His intake was also flawed. Over half his energy came from nuts (450g/3084calories per day). There is a well documented mal-absorption of nutrients associated with eating high quantities of nuts. Which basically means if you eat a lot of nuts, you may not absorb all the nutrients (including energy). It makes sense really, if partial nuts are coming out the other end, then how could your body have that energy. This reduced absorption is thought be about 20% for almonds and other nuts (peanuts are about 10-15%).

If we apply a 20% reduction to the calories he ate from nuts. That’s almost 13,000 calories off his intake over 3 weeks. Or 1.7kg less predicted fat gain.

Where did you copy that from?

He didn't get fat. He had nothing to lose so of course he put on a small amount of weight. It proves the most important thing is where the calories come from. I've said if you've nothing to lose you'll either stay the same or put on a small amount of weight.

Where did you copy that from?

He didn't get fat. He had nothing to lose so of course he put on a small amount of weight. It proves the most important thing is where the calories come from. I've said if you've nothing to lose you'll either stay the same or put on a small amount of weight.

There is absolutely no point having a discussion with you, you're like a religious convert.

• Advertisement

There is absolutely no point having a discussion with you, you're like a religious convert.

Struggled the whole way to Damascus. Had a bulletproof coffee and gambolled the whole way back.

QED.

Advertisement