Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 18 – July 24th, Pau - Hautacam **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 24-07-2014 12:04am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Tdf14_stage18_profile.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

An excellent video previewing the stage by GCN

We all know this one, it's the queen stage of the Tour de France. Everybody wants it, but it'll take the absolute best climber in the race to win it. That most certainly includes Nibali, who is looking imperious against a weakened field. However, I do regard both Pinot and Peraud as realistic challenges, and for fun's sake, I'm backing Pinot as my choice. There are other options in Valverde, Majka, Rodriguez, Bardet and even Nieve, but hand on heart it's hard to look past Nibali beating the breakaway and those around him.

Oddschecker: Nibali 7/4, Majka 5/1, Peraud 7/1, Pinot 12/1, Nieve 18/1, Rolland 18/1

Rules reminder - no spoilers outside this thread before midnight of the 24th, and no doping speculation. Doping speculation will result in you getting banned for the rest of the race.

Stage winner (apart from Nibali) 41 votes

Visconti
    0%
    Majka
    2%
    Hmmzis 1 vote
    Peraud
    12%
    54krocstoneilljoujoujoudel_boy13hangar18_ 5 votes
    Pinot
    12%
    Decuc500pajorn-dawgletapeomicron 5 votes
    Nieve
    12%
    JazzyJZiabRvelopelotonDarkglasseseeeee 5 votes
    Rolland
    4%
    buffaloboydkev 2 votes
    Valverde
    2%
    Brian? 1 vote
    Rodriguez
    0%
    Bardet
    2%
    Green&Red 1 vote
    Serpa
    2%
    _DMac_ 1 vote
    Rogers
    2%
    daramike 1 vote
    Horner
    7%
    InquitusPeter Tpelevin 3 votes
    Konig
    4%
    John McClaneg0g 2 votes
    De Marchi
    0%
    Schleck
    2%
    martinbourke11 1 vote
    Voeckler
    4%
    retalivityShakakan 2 votes
    Feillu
    2%
    seany15 1 vote
    Porte
    0%
    Mollema
    2%
    Ormus 1 vote
    Roche
    0%
    Trofimov
    17%
    kenmcYeahOKneilthefunkeonegaybeerMPFGDaithiMCthirteen. 7 votes
    Inxausti
    0%
    Riblon
    2%
    WinnyThePoo 1 vote
    Kiryienka
    2%
    qwabercd 1 vote
    Thomas
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nieve
    Ok for fun, I've left Nibali off, he's too obvious. Who can pick the winner besides him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Trofimov
    I am going for Nicolas Roche

Of course he will be wrecked after yesterday and will also have to work for Majka if both in break or in main field

But if in the break without Majka and the break is strong...who knows ...showing a bit of Irish solidarity anyways

Majka just needs to finish in top 6 if Nibali wins to retain KOM jersey providing break soaks up Tourmalet KOM points ...and if break wins and he is not there then finish just behind Niabli will do .......providing Purito not in break
    However if Majka is first over Tourmalet then he has it sown up...I believe :confused:
    But imagine Purito will not give up and try and be first over Tourmalet

For me KOM is best race at moment
    Fight for podium 2nd/3rd could be good if Pinot can attack ...will need to do something before top of Tourmalet as AG2r will but him ot the test on descent

Love to see JC Peraud & Pinot snatch podium from Valverde but can't see it as Pinot not as good on TT

Maybe TJ will give it a go to gain some time before TT

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Nieve
    I can't see any of the GC riders attacking on Tourmalet, it's too far to the bottom of Hautacam, 35km. Pinot and Bardet will attack Valverde early. The last 2 km of Pla d'Adet are easy which allowed him get back on. Hautacam is a climb that will suite Pinot more, he rode it 3 times in May this year so he must have been planning to give it a go today.

The last time they did this stage Valverde was dropped on Col du Tourmalet. Hopefully it will be the same today. Unrepentant doper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wonder will kiryienka try and go again. hard to predict this one. rodriguez and valverde and dont seem to be able to go, europcar seem to head off a wing and prayer and hope they dont get caught, tinkoff look on form with 3 riders but all 3 put in big efforts over last 2 days. after the ITV interview yesterday I,ll go for Tinkoff. Oleg 1st coz its all about Oleg (or as itv had him Olaf).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Nieve
    I will go with Pinot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Pinot
    Old man Peraud for me, to continue the recent trend of veterans performing well in Grand Tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Horner
    Any chance Horner's been saving all his loving for this one? It surely can't keep happening but I've gone for Rogers from a breakaway. Can't see anyone beating Nibali man-to-man though Peraud did stay with him yday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Pinot
    Peraud for me too and hopefully we'll see him second overall by Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I can't see a breakaway making it today which means Nibali is surely going to win the stage. 7/4 isn't actually too bad a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Peraud
    Went with Majka he looked very comfortable yesterday at the finish. Still think Nibali will win this one though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Roughly what time will they start climbing Tourmalet? Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭daramike

Rogers
    If a break doesn't stay away Nibali wins simple as with Peraud and Majka the next 2. There are certain mountain climbers that we haven't seen at all in the Tour, surely they will turn up today e.g Horner, Trofimov, Feillu, Zubeldia. I think Nieve has a big chance outside of the breakaway riders and the GC men he was next home yesterday so he must be over his sickness. He is my 1st pick for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The stage begins @ 12 mid-day and it's roughly 60 Km's to the base of the Tourmalet so i reckon 1.30 - 1.45, of course depending on average speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Horner
    Rogers turn today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Voeckler
    the climb to the tourmalet pretty much starts from the intermediate sprint, so is 34k long with the easy bits at the start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nieve
    Big break again - Mikel Nieve (Sky), Jesus Herrada and Jon Izaguirre (Movistar), Yuriy Trofimov (Katusha), Alessandro De Marchi and Marco Marcato (Cannondale), Lars Boom (Belkin), Jan Bakelants (OPQS), Blel Kadri (AG2R), Matthieu Ladagnous (FDJ), Daniel Oss (BMC), Bryan Coquard, Kévin Reza and Thomas Voeckler (Europcar), Julien Simon (Cofidis), Sylvain Chavanel and Marcel Wyss (IAM), Bartosz Huzarski and Tiago Machado (NetApp) and Florian Guillou (Bretagne)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Heinrich Haussler (IAM Cycling) has abandoned early in the stage due to stomach/digestive system problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Heinrich Haussler (IAM Cycling) has abandoned early in the stage due to stomach/digestive system problems.[/QUO

He was s***ing himself when he saw the profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Who's pushing the pelaton? Gap seems stuck at a level that isn't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't remember any ramps on the Tourmalet but fack me it goes on.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I don't remember any ramps on the Tourmalet but fack me it goes on.

Sure does go on. Did you stop for ice cream? Are they going up the same side as us today? The descent was lovely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

lennymc wrote: »
    Sure does go on. Did you stop for ice cream? Are they going up the same side as us today? The descent was lovely.

I had to peg it down as it was starting to get dark. Stopped a few times for ice tea.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Nieve
    Breakaway is now on the Tourmalet proper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nibalis personal trainer could do with a personal trainer.

Nieve
    Rodriguez is dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Porte out the back again?? What a disaster this Tour has been for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Paddigol wrote: »
    Porte out the back again?? What a disaster this Tour has been for him.

Considering all of Sky's training prep for this tour was focused on riding for Froome..

Nieve
    Plenty of Irish flags on the tourmalet :)

Nieve
    Think Nico Roche is being dropped out the back just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Think Nico Roche is being dropped out the back just now.

Saw that too but it was right at the summit so he will get back on on the descent.

Advertisement