Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical card and private health insurance

Options
  • 23-07-2014 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a fellow boards member earlier today and they were quite open about the fact they had a medical card but also pays for health insurance.

I thought it completely defeated the purpose of the medical, clearly the guy had enough money to afford health care, yet he still felt perfectly comfortable in saying he had the medical card.

Is this a common thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Health insurance requires a 5 year waiting period for pre-existing conditions. In short, if you anticipate losing your medical card having health insurance for a few years ain't a bad idea. (If you can afford it.) There's also the added option of not just solely being at the whims of the public system.

Doubt it's a common thing to have both though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

But doesn't that completely defeat the purposes of the card, I.e to allow those who can't afford medical care to seek care.

The way I see the person is taking advantage of the system.. They are using the medical to see the gp for free and then if they have to go to the hospital they get a nice room and don't have to wait too long.

I mean with all the cuts that have bee seen recently is it not a bit greedy to be taking advantage of the medical card system when you can pay for health insurance, while others who rely on the medical card completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It probably is greedy but I would be very greedy when it comes to the health of my family so I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting the best they can get.

The medical card doesn't cover private healthcare costs. Also, it's entirely possible that a person can afford a health insurance policy, or their employee or club provide it, but they can't afford adequate health care.

If a patient opts to go the private route they're not putting anything private on the tax payers tab. They're also indirectly freeing up a free overcrowded service to all whom may need it. Struggling to see how that's a bad thing?

omahaid wrote: »
    It probably is greedy but I would be very greedy when it comes to the health of my family so I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting the best they can get.

So you feel that it's right to use tax payers money even though you can afford medical care? This is exactly why the system is in such a state..did you not hear of all the medical cards being taken off children with downs? Do you think it is fair to deny them the care they need just because you are "greedy" when it comes to your kids!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I don't have either.

I'm a mad ****er.

Turtwig wrote: »
    The medical card doesn't cover private healthcare costs. ?

Obviously not why would it?

So you feel that it's right to use tax payers money even though you can afford medical care? This is exactly why the system is in such a state..did you not hear of all the medical cards being taken off children with downs? Do you think it is fair to deny them the care they need just because you are "greedy" when it comes to your kids!

You can get angry all you want but until it is forbidden for people with medical cards to also have private medical insurance then though for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Chill.
    The guy wouldn't have a medical card unless his means deemed him eligible. You don't get one of those bad boys easily, believe me.
    He's probably making major cutbacks in other areas in order to pay the health insurance bill.

The medical card doesn't cover private healthcare costs. Also, it's entirely possible that a person can afford a health insurance policy, or their employee or club provide it, but they can't afford adequate health care.

If a patient opts to go the private route they're not putting anything private on the tax payers tab. They're also indirectly freeing up a free overcrowded service to all whom may need it. Struggling to see how that's a bad thing?

But they are using it to receive free gp care! Ie using up resources.. And then only going private when it suits them. They are using the public sector when it suits them and saves them a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm confused, I don't know why you'd bother having both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

The medical card ( under current law ) should only be given to people on low incomes. So yer man must be lying to HSE about his income .

Sauve wrote: »
    Chill.
    The guy wouldn't have a medical card unless his means deemed him eligible. You don't get one of those bad boys easily, believe me.
    He's probably making major cutbacks in other areas in order to pay the health insurance bill.

Over 40% of people have them. So many they are more commonplace then you think

cloud493 wrote: »

Basically so you can go to the gp for free and then if you are sent to hospital or need a op you don't have to wait And get a nice room and bed

Are you saying that if I have a medical card and I can also afford to pay for private medical insurance I should be prevented from doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My ex has bad health , a couple of different long term illnesses and has had quite a bit of surgery , she has health insurance and a medical card , that's been reviewed a few a few times over the years.
    When its being reviewed she writes a letter giving details of her health and includes all her details of MRIs , scans , visits to consultants , bloodtests etc and eventually get her card.

One her surgical procedures could have a wait two plus years publicly or a couple of weeks privately.She wouldn't be able to afford her medication or doctors visits without her card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Basically so you can go to the gp for free and then if you are sent to hospital or need a op you don't have to wait And get a nice room and bed

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Are you saying that if I have a medical card and I can also afford to pay for private medical insurance I should be prevented from doing so?

What I am saying is that the point of the card is to allow those who otherwise would not be able get medical care.

If you have the means to pay for private medical care you should have no reason to seek a medical card. Unless you are trying to cheat the system and get more than you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Health insurance requires a 5 year waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

Not all plans, my company health insurance covered existing conditions straight away, no wait period. All depends on the plan, but most company plans give you immediate cover for pre-existing.

There are far too many reasons to list.

The standards being second opinions, skipping waiting lists and families - one member has a medical card but the family has a health insurance policy, employment contracts, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

If someone who meets the means threshold for a medical card and decides to perhaps save in other areas and budget for private health insurance to ensure they can get quick access to our broken two tier healthcare system, who are we to say they shouldn't do this?

TheZohan wrote: »
    Not all plans, my company health insurance covered existing conditions straight away, no wait period. All depends on the plan, but most company plans give you immediate cover for pre-existing.

Yeah, there's also an option for a very expensive loading fee. In general, any pre-existing waiver is far more costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Seems like a waste of money to me.

You might feel differently if, God Forbid, someone close to you needs a medical procedure. That is when you see the value of private health insurance.

penguin88 wrote: »
    If someone who meets the means threshold for a medical card and decides to perhaps save in other areas and budget for private health insurance to ensure they can get quick access to our broken two tier healthcare system, who are we to say they shouldn't do this?

Exactly. The cheapest private health insurance policy I could find it €40 a month for an adult. We'll say €10 a week. I know people with medical cards who smoke! They spend more on fags then a private health insurance policy costs!

Plus, if you have a medical card + private health cover then at least you're paying towards your own treatment!!!

Plus, if you have a medical card + private health cover then at least you're paying towards your own treatment!!!

Care to explain how?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Might be just a basic plan that covers hospital costs or whatever.Not familiar with it so don't know the various plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

the person with the medical card and private healthcare is paying for both, through tax, prsi, usc, pension levy and private health premiums. These people tend not to be spongers or greedy but responsible individuals who pay their way.

sparksfly wrote: »
    the person with the medical card and private healthcare is paying for both, through tax, prsi, usc, pension levy and private health premiums. These people tend not to be spongers or greedy but responsible individuals who pay their way.

How are they paying for both ? Every time the go to the GP what is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Given the stories you hear about people waiting years for simple life changing operations it's almost irresponsible not to have private insurance.

• Advertisement

Care to explain how?

Really? Ok.

Let's say we have a person who for whatever reason qualifies for a medical card (we'll say a life time disability and their only income is the disability allowance). Also let's say they have taken out a private health insurance policy. Now, they need an operation. They can wait for the public system to carry out the operation and the state pays or they can use their private policy and get it done in a private hospital and in this case the private health insurance pays. You see how having the private health insurance cover in this instance saved the tax payer money?

Advertisement