Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first cx race of the year!! August 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

colm18 wrote: »
    Managed to get a bit of practice mounting/dismounting (the bike) etc. over the weekend. Jesus I'm sh*te.

Any other boardsies signed up for this?

Yes, and I'm shíte at it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

+ 1 on the sh*teness. We can't all be Sven Nys/Marriane Vos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm in and if raam is ****e then I'm his clumsy slightly deluded talentless cousin !

Love it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    Managed to get a bit of practice mounting/dismounting (the bike) etc. over the weekend. Jesus I'm sh*te.

Any other boardsies signed up for this?

Same here. I'm utterly brutal. So much so I'm going to go do a Timetrial instead. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

daragh_ wrote: »
    Same here. I'm utterly brutal. So much so I'm going to go do a Timetrial instead. Best of luck!

Ah Daragh, I was relying on you to be a fellow off road newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Entry for the race will close tomorrow evening Tues. 12th at 18:00. There will be limited on the day sign on but you will have to be early. Over 100 riders registered...

Details on the event updated here: www.irishcx.com/rathfarnham-cx-details/

I might not be able to race now. Took a wallop to the ribs when I crashed in training and even breathing normally hurts.

Always room for spectators ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Always room for spectators

Good, see you there lads. Unless the more important male will start teething again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    I might not be able to race now. Took a wallop to the ribs when I crashed in training and even breathing normally hurts.

Drugs are good !

See some one or get advice

Did a tri and a RR on successive days with a broken rib earlier this year...

(note to self wasn't the greatest idea in the world to have done that....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i found my cx bike today - it was buried in the shed - hasnt moved since the nationals. Off for a spin on it now to see if it works.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Drugs are good !

See some one or get advice

Did a tri and a RR on successive days with a broken rib earlier this year...

(note to self wasn't the greatest idea in the world to have done that....)

I've hit the nurofen plus.

I've hit the nurofen plus.

TUE? :)

lennymc wrote: »
    TUE? :)

Not needed ;)

was out on the cx bike last night and after seeing the course decided that the gearing was way off. I was running a 36/17 for most of last year, but have changed to a 46/17 for tomorrow. A bit of a spin in the park this and i think it's either spot on or too big. Guess I'll find out tomorrow :)

lennymc wrote: »
    was out on the cx bike last night and after seeing the course decided that the gearing was way off. I was running a 36/17 for most of last year, but have changed to a 46/17 for tomorrow. A bit of a spin in the park this and i think it's either spot on or too big. Guess I'll find out tomorrow :)

Not one for the climbers then? Loads of tarmac I guess.

nak wrote: »
    Not one for the climbers then? Loads of tarmac I guess.

CX races rarely if ever have any climbs to speak of(apart from Bray last year), just short sharp kickers.. close gearing will be good for the tarmac sections tomorrow... it has roughly the same amount of tarmac as say GrangeCastle..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    CX races rarely if ever have any climbs to speak of(apart from Bray last year), just short sharp kickers.. close gearing will be good for the tarmac sections tomorrow... it has roughly the same amount of tarmac as say GrangeCastle..

Ahem!

DSC_0914.JPG

It's worse than it looks and there was a headwind that day :)

CX races rarely if ever have any climbs to speak of(apart from Bray last year)

Swords and Portmarnock do too. The Portmarnock hill was nasty into the wind.

• Advertisement

Ahem!

It's worse than it looks and there was a headwind that day :)

Didn't do that one! :D

This may give you an idea about tomorrow's race:

126eq2s.jpg

nak wrote: »
    Swords and Portmarnock do too. The Portmarnock hill was nasty into the wind.

Yea Swords had that nasty tarmac path climb..

Was more thinking of GrangeCastle, St. Anne's and Tymon..

Yea Swords had that nasty tarmac path climb..

Was more thinking of GrangeCastle, St. Anne's and Tymon..

I think I saw over 17% on that tarmac bit in Swords. You can fly up it in the earlier laps but the later ones are a total grindfest, for me anyway.

I think I saw over 17% on that tarmac bit in Swords. You can fly up it in the earlier laps but the later ones are a total grindfest, for me anyway.

I think Seymour was the only one to make it back up the grass section of the steep climb beside the tarmac path without having to get off and push...

I think Seymour was the only one to make it back up the grass section of the steep climb beside the tarmac path without having to get off and push...

Think a few others managed it last time; I like the tarmac climb, it's the downhill bits I have the problem with.

Potmarnock was brutal in the wind - had a barrier fall on top of me first time up that hill in the warmup. Cyclocross makes me question my sanity. Looking forward to tomorrow if I can summon up some energy after work.

Ray managed it also...

1510536_10203077858451911_342272388_n.jpg?oh=43e40862e2844cb1e45a600b015b772f&oe=545C8F49

Also, anyone who's on boards and has volunteered as race marshal, meet at the Race tent in the village at around 6pm...

Also, anyone who's on boards and has volunteered as race marshal, meet at the Race tent in the village at around 6pm...

Marshalling the A race if I'm still able to function after the B race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Is there a map of the course? I want to watch from a good position.

Advertisement