Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first cx race of the year!! August 14th

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

First cx race of the year is on August 14th in Rathfarnham.

Entry is now open here

I'm looking forward to it!!

(no affiliation to the organisers, just posting it here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Bit early isn't it? Anyway always nice to see more cx racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Bit early isn't it? Anyway always nice to see more cx racing.

Good few summer races in other countries now.
    Race is going along the main street in Rathfarnam, should be a great showcase for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

nak wrote: »
    Good few summer races in other countries now.
    Race is going along the main street in Rathfarnam, should be a great showcase for the sport.

Are you sure about this? I cant imagine how this will work, Is the main road between the village and rathfarnham castle going to be closed? (unlikely, I would have thought)

Are you sure about this? I cant imagine how this will work, Is the main road between the village and rathfarnham castle going to be closed? (unlikely, I would have thought)

That's what I was told by one of the organisers. It's part of the Rathfarnam family fun day so other events are on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, it's part of the Rathfarnham village festival so there will be road closures.

Race info:

Thurs August 14th, 2014

Race 1: 19:00 - 19:40
    Race 2: 20:00 - 20:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

This is going to be super cool.
    I think I'll get my poor Mam and/or wife to come along and pour strong Belgian beer all over me as I grind up that grassy hill behind the village. I'll need cowbells also. And tubular wheels. and a CX bike!:eek:

As an off topic aside it's great to see one day licences available for this. The road racing restrictions were made for good solid reasons but deny access to potential future road racers. All credit to CX/MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

What's the story with the categories? Senior A & B? I've never raced CX before, so what's the most appropriate one for me-presumably B? Can you do both races?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Koobcam wrote: »
    What's the story with the categories? Senior A & B? I've never raced CX before, so what's the most appropriate one for me-presumably B? Can you do both races?

A race for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Will I look like a complete saddo if I rock up on an MTB? Looks like they're allowed in the B race. I have my pure Euro image to consider ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Raam wrote: »
    A race for you.

Just signed up for the B. I've been riding my cross bike on the road for the past month, so it will be nice to put the cx tyres back on and use it as it was intended

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    Will I look like a complete saddo if I rock up on an MTB? Looks like they're allowed in the B race. I have my pure Euro image to consider ;)

MTBs are allowed, makes some parts more difficult, but need more women racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Cool, will give it a shot so, just registered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

QueensGael wrote: »
    Cool, will give it a shot so, just registered :)

It really is good fun. Lots of people try it out on an MTB in advance of buying a dedicated cx bike. At anyone doing their first CX race, if you get a chance between now and then practice mounting and dismounting the bike, and lifting it over small obstacles. It will help on race day. Also turn up an hour or so before the race to get in some practice laps!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Just signed up for the B race...I think i'll be fine for the on road bit, may get a little hairy after that :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hmm. Looks at Kaffenback. Scratches chin.

How much are CX tires?

crc had some recently for about 15 quid a pop iirc.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Hmm. Looks at Kaffenback. Scratches chin.

How much are CX tires?

Dangerous territory there - Cyclocross will turn you into a tyre nerd. Finest handmade tubs only ;) Dugast Rhinos seem to be the tyre of choice as far as tubs go. Clement PDX clinchers are good, as are the Specialized ones, have the Tracer clinchers and used the Terra tubs last season (using them again as they're already glued on). Choice is endless really.

alternatively buy a set for 15 quid and just enjoy it! :)

I got a set of wtb cross wolf mud tyres and they are good in the mud, not so good in non mud, but seem to be lasting me a couple of seasons. I was going to try tubs this year but never got round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Looks to me like you could do this on road bike with 28 or even 25 tyres? There's only one bit of grass and you'll have to run up most of that anyway.

is the route available? They did say on FB to bring cx tyres......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Cheers for the tips. My Kaff is a heavy lump so if I do this it will be for the craic. I'll throw on the cheapest tires I can get and see if I can make it. Same night as the Club league TTT.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Cheers for the tips. My Kaff is a heavy lump so if I do this it will be for the craic. I'll throw on the cheapest tires I can get and see if I can make it. Same night as the Club league TTT.

do the tt on the kaff with cx tyres, then lobby the club to create a cxtt category and claim you are the champion.

LennoxR wrote: »
    Looks to me like you could do this on road bike with 28 or even 25 tyres? There's only one bit of grass and you'll have to run up most of that anyway.

Most of the course is off-road, so could be very muddy. Have yet to see someone attempt a cross race on a road bike (not saying it hasn't happened) - geometry isn't ideal.

Official entry form is here: http://fs25.formsite.com/twracing/form12/index.html

Will be the same format as any of the previous Cyclocross events, probably as much tarmac and offroad as at the Grangecastle course, so yes you will need decent CX tyres

https://www.facebook.com/events/1433158186967379/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

Signed up for the B race myself. It's my first CX race. Looking forward to it. Got some challenge fango tyres for it, not tubs but can get low psi on em if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

nak wrote: »
    Most of the course is off-road, so could be very muddy. Have yet to see someone attempt a cross race on a road bike (not saying it hasn't happened) - geometry isn't ideal.

Saw a lad doing this years ago in a cross race in UCD Belfield. He might have been riding for UCD, I can't remember, this would have been in about 2003. He had ordinary road tyres at 20psi, apparently he got around alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Is there a CX calendar anywhere?

i remember i just missed one in Corkagh Park and i was gutted

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Is there a CX calendar anywhere?

i remember i just missed one in Corkagh Park and i was gutted

Not yet, probably no race in Corkagh again as the cycle track kind of spoiled the course ;)

First race in the Fixx league is probably late September/early October. Fixx Supercross Facebook page is your best bet for information.

Keep an eye on the website also, will be updated first with news on the upcoming season:

www.irishcx.com/cx-rathfarnham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

lennymc wrote: »
    It really is good fun. Lots of people try it out on an MTB in advance of buying a dedicated cx bike. At anyone doing their first CX race, if you get a chance between now and then practice mounting and dismounting the bike, and lifting it over small obstacles. It will help on race day. Also turn up an hour or so before the race to get in some practice laps!

Managed to get a bit of practice mounting/dismounting (the bike) etc. over the weekend. Jesus I'm sh*te.

Any other boardsies signed up for this?

Advertisement