Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Samsung Galaxy s5

Options
  • 21-07-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to buy a second hand Samsung Galaxy s5 and from my research i see this country is a flush with fakes.
    Would anyone be kind enough to send me a picture of what an Irish Samsung galaxy s5 box should hold and maybe help me with some pointers as to what to look out for , to try and identfy the fake

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

you can google the imei number, afaik the fake ones have imei from nokias and the likes.
    however this site here http://www.imei.info/?imei=864826028803693
    shows up my find 7 as not available.
    heres another one
    http://swappa.com/esn/results
    bear in mind swappa just checks if its a good esn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

I read before that touch id and heart rate monitor will not work on fakes. Plus software won't have Samsung suite of apps, so make sure the phone is turned on when buying. The boxes and other stuff is easy to fake so check the phone very very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put a 13GB file into the 16GB version. It won't copy if it's fake. Otherwise everything, from the box to the screen, is identical. Even the info in the "About Phone" section will be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Take the back cover off and nearly all the fakes won't have the gasket seal on the back of the cover also fake back covers are very flimsy

Also go into settings on the camera and picture size only goes to 13mp should be 16mp like on the real s5

I'm typing this on a clone s5 quadcore

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oooooooo, totally forgot, check the EIMI code at http://www.imei.info as the code in the back will most often not be the phone you hold in your hand!

Also forgot to mention the best way to know if it's a clone or not is to turn the phone off and then press the volume down + power + home buttons together and usually on all clones they have a Chinese factory menu instead of an English menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'm buying a Galaxy s5 off adverts later. How can I tell if its fake? Seller has no receipt but seems legit.

The IEMI number?

Anything else to look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭just_did_it

Sad to say it but, I actually got stung with one of these fake s5's €300 down the drain :-(

Just wish I seen this tread before purchasing.

The imei number when I type it into the website comes up as an s4 mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Sad to say it but, I actually got stung with one of these fake s5's €300 down the drain :-(

Just wish I seen this tread before purchasing.

The imei number when I type it into the website comes up as an s4 mini.

Was this from adverts?

If you look at any of the youtube video's the fakes are excellent copies.

I rememeber when I was younger they couldn't even make the fake premier league jerseys look authentic , now they are able to copy smart phones down to the last detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

any tips on which s5 clone to buy?

need a new phone on the cheap side.would prefer it to have all samsung branding logos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Looking at buying s5 on adverts what do I need to ask to make sure its not a fake

http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/6173626#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Looking at buying s5 on adverts what do I need to ask to make sure its not a fake

http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/6173626#comments

Ask him to post a pic of back of the box. Printing on the back of the boxes are different in the fake ones.

If it's genuinely locked to o2 then it may not be fake. You can always put a different sim to check if its locked to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm also looking at buying an S5 off adverts. Surely the screen would stand out on these fakes, I don't think any of the fakes would have 1080p AMOLED screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm also looking at buying an S5 off adverts. Surely the screen would stand out on these fakes, I don't think any of the fakes would have 1080p AMOLED screens?

This is true, there is literally no fake s5s with amoled but there is some fakes with excellent quality screens and it would be hard to tell the difference if you didn't have a real s5 to compare to.

Some of these suggestions ain't too good tbh, fakes can easily have a working fingerprint sensor or 16gb storage.

The easiest way is to download cpu-z and verify the correct hardware is there, or run an antutu benchmark (score should be around the 35k mark)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Take the back cover off and nearly all the fakes won't have the gasket seal on the back of the cover also fake back covers are very flimsy

Also go into settings on the camera and picture size only goes to 13mp should be 16mp like on the real s5

I'm typing this on a clone s5 quadcore

The octa core has a 13MP camera, but they say 16MP on the settings page of the camera now.

It also has the water seal on the inside of the battery cover. The IMEI on mine is displaying as a Galaxy S5 (the S5 G9008V model being sold by China Mobile). Also, the factory menu is displaying in English. Don't rely on some of the tips in this thread, they are outdated. Newer clones have been released now.

Do exactly what spix said before you buy it. The fakes will show the CPU as an MTK6572/MTK6582/MTK6592. Almost everything else on the phone has been changed. Antutu shows 2GB of ram (it has 1GB), it also shows 1080x1920 (it is 720x1280). Before you buy, do a benchmark to check.

Don't like seeing people get robbed. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'm going to look at one tomorrow, supposedly locked to meteor and they claim to have a receipt, what steps can I take here other than whats been mentioned already, will the original meteor receipt state the IMEI?

Second fear with this is if it is real, that its been stolen, any one have any tips on how to ensure that isn't the case?

Oat23 wrote: »
    The octa core has a 13MP camera, but they say 16MP on the settings page of the camera now.

It also has the water seal on the inside of the battery cover. The IMEI on mine is displaying as a Galaxy S5 (the model being sold by China Mobile). Also, the factory menu is displaying in English. Don't rely on some of the tips in this thread, they are outdated. Newer clones have been released now.

Do exactly what spix said before you buy it. The fakes will show the CPU as an MTK6572/MTK6582/MTK6592. Almost everything else on the phone has been changed. Antutu shows 2GB of ram (it has 1GB), it also shows 1080x1920 (it is 720x1280). Before you buy, do a benchmark to check.

Don't like seeing people get robbed. Be careful!

Chinese clone with English factory menu? can you post a screen shot of your factory menu I'm curious to see how similar it is to s5 original menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Looking for a cheap option for my sons next phone. Are there major differences between the real phones and the fakes??

He's using iphone3 at the minute and the battery is awful. He's looking for S5 for Xmas. Would I be mad to buy a fake?? Are the batteries good? Where would be best to get one?

TIA
    D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

danois wrote: »
    Looking for a cheap option for my sons next phone. Are there major differences between the real phones and the fakes??

He's using iphone3 at the minute and the battery is awful. He's looking for S5 for Xmas. Would I be mad to buy a fake?? Are the batteries good? Where would be best to get one?

TIA
    D.

It'd be a bad idea if you'd be trying to pass it as a real one.

A better option, if you don't want to spend alot on a decent phone, would be to get a chinese phone which isn't a clone. There's a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056851139.

The clones (with all the logos and such) tend to offer less value for money for their spec as you're paying for it to look like a s5. There's also many different ones, some are terribly slow with low res screens while others are pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

danois wrote: »

TIA
    D.

As has already been stated, you shouldn't purchase a clone in place of the real thing. The differences will be immediately apparent as soon as it's powered on. The S5 can be purchased for <€450 now, by Xmas it will be much lower (and getting a bit long in the tooth tbh). There are also plenty of alternatives with better specs available now for less, the Oneplus One for example. And of course there are plenty of low cost Chinaphones to choose from, many of which are modelled on the S5's looks. You can pick up a 5in Moto G equivalent for less than €100, and if you're willing to spend €50 to €100 more you'll be able to pick up some pretty great phones coming up to Xmas. There's a whole raft of phones due to be announced throughout September & October, so by Xmas he'll probably have changed his mind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

spix wrote: »
    It'd be a bad idea if you'd be trying to pass it as a real one.

A better option, if you don't want to spend alot on a decent phone, would be to get a chinese phone which isn't a clone. There's a thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056851139.

The clones (with all the logos and such) tend to offer less value for money for their spec as you're paying for it to look like a s5. There's also many different ones, some are terribly slow with low res screens while others are pretty decent.

Wow almost 540 pages!!! Time to get reading. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm going to look at one tomorrow, supposedly locked to meteor and they claim to have a receipt, what steps can I take here other than whats been mentioned already, will the original meteor receipt state the IMEI?

Second fear with this is if it is real, that its been stolen, any one have any tips on how to ensure that isn't the case?

Ask a seller to bring their Licence to the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Yes. Just expect to chase them for an import tax reimbursement if customs spot the phone.

Chinese clone with English factory menu? can you post a screen shot of your factory menu I'm curious to see how similar it is to s5 original menu.

Gave the phone away a few days ago but I am ordering a new one soon. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

It was black with blue writing. Looked the exact same as my HP touchpad (with cyanogenmod installed) factory menu actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 So_Fresh

There is an android app called "Genuine Galaxy" - not sure if it works for s5 but definitely does for s4, s3 and note 2. It is very small in size, so if you're buying a galaxy 2nd hand just insert your SIM, download this app, and when you open it you will find out whether or not your phone is genuine or fake.

Got my new one yesterday. This menu looks a little different to the last one (this clone is a newer model from the same seller I believe), but it is still in English so it's all good.

Power + Home + Volume Down

Power + Home + Volume Up

Excuse the crap quality. The only thing with power was my old ipod touch

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Got my new one yesterday. This menu looks a little different to the last one (this clone is a newer model from the same seller I believe), but it is still in English so it's all good.
    Excuse the crap quality. The only thing with power was my old ipod touch

Menu looks good definitely an improvement from the Chinese menus,is this mtk6592 and also is the battery and gps ok in this clone?

Advertisement