Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dance Song?

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what song we want for our first dance. What have you picked/did you pick for yours?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Über über cheesy I know but my partner chose "still the one" as ours. After 8 years of ups and downs and rocky roads it fits though, as cheesy as it sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Pantera - Cowboys from hell
    Slayer - Raining Blood
    Metallica - Blackened

I'll accept any of the above..

As a massive metal fan, my fiance would actually LOVE all of these!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

We had this pure cheese:

We had a completely different song picked out for a good two years before the wedding. Then coming up to the time we had to let our band know which song we wanted my wife heard this on the radio and it just clicked. It makes me a bit teary every time I hear it now :D

EDIT: Wow, the screengrab from the video looks really dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

We had Tom Baxter better. It was a last minute pick.
    Would've really loved Elton John The One but it's a bit on the long side and really just wanted the first dance over and done with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Just a word of advice - check with the band (assume its a band!) that they do the song in question ASAP, our band had only a set number to choose from, mind you they were excellent and the DJ played our first choice as the last song of the night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Luckily the band are my band. But obviously, i'm taking the night off. The male singer will be going solo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We had 'Be My Baby' by The Ronettes. Still brings a tear to my eye when I hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I compiled a huge list for my OH of songs that I would be happy with. She finally opted for Let's Stay Together by Al Green.

Some others on the list were:

God Only Knows - Beach Boys
    Something - The Beatles
    Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton
    The Book of Love - Peter Gabriel
    Lovely Day - Bill Withers
    Groovy Kind of Love - Phil Collins
    Can't Take My Eyes Of You - Frankie Valli
    Crazy Love - Van Morrison
    You Are the Sunshine of my Live - Stevie Wonder
    Something About The Way You Look Tonight - Elton John

Honestly went through an unbelievable amount of songs before we both decided on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Before we got engaged I would have said "Wonderful Tonight", but we had our own little dance to that song at his brother's wedding so I suppose our memories associated with that song were really for that wedding.

We wanted to have Michael Buble's "Song For You" but it's a very difficult song and the band in fairness to them said they wouldn't be able to do it justice.

We then suggested Garth Brooks/Adele "To Make You feel My Love" which we ended up having on the day. It was one of those songs that stopped us in our tracks, Adele came on the tv one night singing that song, I never heard her sing it before yet I was singing it word from word along with her and we couldn't figure out why. We did some searching and found out we knew it from Garth Brooks. Nice soppy one! We were hoping to hear Garth himself sing it next weekend but alas it wasn't to be.

My advise in picking a first dance song is to pick a song which holds a good memory for you both and if you were he hear it again in 10 years time, it would stick with you!

Our friends married 2 years ago and they had "Heaven" by Bryan Adams - it was popularised by DJ Sammy when they first started going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Not actually getting married but myself and my OH have always said Somewhere only we know by Keane would be it. But then it became me and my dads song so we'll have to change it! I've always loved the garden rules or life-ning by snow patrol. They're both such beautiful songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Life-ning, such a tear jerker. The line about becoming a father like my dad. Both of us have lost our dads, gets me everytime!
    Wedding in 2 weeks, no first dance chosen!!
    Anyone have any other snow patrol suggestions??

pooch90 wrote: »
    Life-ning, such a tear jerker. The line about becoming a father like my dad. Both of us have lost our dads, gets me everytime!
    Wedding in 2 weeks, no first dance chosen!!
    Anyone have any other snow patrol suggestions??

How about open your eyes? That always gives me goosebumples! But definitely the Garden Rules that to me is a great choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Myself and burd are currently debating this very thing. We have a couple of ideas such as the below.

I think we will be having it played over the PA though rather than having the band perform it live.

We are walking out to Im Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys.

Im a huge metal fan but obviously cant have anything too mad!

Wellyd wrote: »
    How about open your eyes? That always gives me goosebumples! But definitely the Garden Rules that to me is a great choice!

Open Your Eyes is a definite possibility, indecisive groom does not a happy bride make :mad::mad:
    Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

We went with the live acoustic version of Lenny Kravitz - Again. GnR - Welcome to the Jungle and ACDC Highway to hell got vetoed !

Oooh Lenny, must put some Lenny on the playlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I wanted to go for a song that I felt was easy to dance to so I went with Shane MacGowan & Sinéad O'Connor - Haunted

whatever you go for check the band can do it, I had a few others before it that they hadn't done before.

paulusdu wrote: »
    We went with the live acoustic version of Lenny Kravitz - Again.

I'm downloading this immediately! Great choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We had When You Tell Me That You Love Me by Diana Ross. Wasn't on our list but we heard it in the car one day and both said that's it.
    Had been thinking about Feels like Home, Let's Stay Together and (total cheesefest) All for One by Brian, Rod and Sting!

• Advertisement

We went with U2, all I want is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Myself and burd are currently debating this very thing. We have a couple of ideas such as the below.

I walked up the aisle to 'First Day of my Life' It's the most beautiful song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I wanted Nick Cave 'into my arms' but ended up with 'i've got you under my skin' as we had a swing band at our wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Timewarp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I didn't have a reception, but I would have liked" Never let her slip away" by Andrew Gold. Easy to sing and easy to jig about too and not too long.

Please please please, let me get what I want by The Smiths is exquisite and very short and a straightforward waltz so once again easy to jig about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Love love love "harvest moon" by neil young and very easy to dance to

Millem wrote: »
    Love love love "harvest moon" by neil young and very easy to dance to

Oh this is gorgeous too! And even the most left footed groom can shuffle around a bit to it and not fall flat on his face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We had "groovy kind of love" by phil Collins. Pure cheese but I liked it and OH thought it was grand. Had the Wannadies "You and me song" for the likes of the video highlights. I did want that as our first dance song but my head bridesmaid said I needed something slower... Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

My favourite Snow Patrol song is Crack the Shutters lovely song!

I am not sure what I am having another good smooch one is Imelda May - Falling in Love, I love this too!

Think we may have Mumford and Sons - Not with Haste has sentiment behind it though I imagine it will be over the PA though I will check the band's list and see if anything jumps out.

Advertisement