Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How untidy are you people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

In my single days my gaff was like a bearpit (except for kitchen and bathroom) - but I loved it. Occasionally a cousin's girlfriend (who had a touch of the OCDs) would turn up like a whirling dervish and hammer a job on it.
    But I still remember the joys of clutter ........... and I knew where everything was - although it used take me hours to find it.
    Plus, I was doing my bit for the eco system by not using any of those harmful chemicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I used to be neat and clean and tidy, because I always had neat and clean and tidy flatmates.

Then I moved in with my - very lovely and handsome - but not so tidy - boyfriend. My standards have slipped a lot. :o He's released my inner slob!

I go on a manic clean maybe once a month. Other than that, feck all gets done, apart from the necessities (we need clean dishes every now and then.) Our house is always messy. And the floors aren't cleaned as often as they should be.

Meah, my thinking is that our baby will develop a fantastic immune system as a result! :pac: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I hate mess and clutter! I have even been known to rearrange people at times if they make the room look untidy.... "em do you mind sitting over there?...." :-D

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Plus, I was doing my bit for the eco system by not using any of those harmful chemicals.

Lemon juice, vinegar, and baking soda are the best cleaners of all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Untidy but try to keep on top of it. If it gets to bad I get a cleaner in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

JillyQ wrote: »
    Untidy but try to keep on top of it. If it gets to bad I get a cleaner in.

As a matter of interest how much does your cleaner cost?

I'm not an untidy person, like to keep the gaff relatively clean! You leave dishes in the sink in my house....I will prob kill you in your sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm clean but untidy. I'm rubbish at throwing stuff away so there's a fair bit of clutter. I do freak out at unexpected callers though because my dog sheds so much hair that I like a bit of notice so I can hoover down the couch and get rid of it

kfallon wrote: »

I'm not an untidy person, like to keep the gaff relatively clean! You leave dishes in the sink in my house....I will prob kill you in your sleep!

I do the same thing about the dishes in the sink or worse laundry left on a clothes horse when its dry. Pm sent about the cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Left to my own devices I'm a scruffy bastard and my mot is OTT tidy so we kind of meet in the middle and have a normally tidy and clean house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

More concerned about dirt and dust than tidiness. A few items lying around the place don't bother me (within reason). I clean a lot though. The detergent bargains in Dealz do get me excited I gotta admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

JillyQ wrote: »
    I do the same thing about the dishes in the sink or worse laundry left on a clothes horse when its dry. Pm sent about the cleaner.

Jesus you seem to be a lot like me.....that's not good for you tbh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm fairly untidy, to be honest, but a lot of that is because I have hoarder tendencies. I usually don't have enough storage for the amount of clothes and books I have, and surfaces will be cluttered with ornaments, candles, crockery, etc. If I'm house-sharing I think I'm pretty good at keeping the communal areas decent, I've never had any complaints and I'm definitely not one to leave dishes festering in the sink or bins overflowing or anything. But I'm looking around my bedroom now and...yeah, it's not great when you can't see most of the carpet, is it?

I'm the opposite actually, I'm a bit of a chronic de-clutterer. I just hate clutter and love empty spaces. I'd routinely throw out clothes and boxes, books, notepads etc because of it. I've had a piece of luggage lying on my bedroom floor for about a week now coz I arrived into a work sh1tstorm when I got back and haven't had time to eat, less unpack or sort the house out, and it's been bothering me all week.

It will actually affect my mood if I come home from work to a messy house. I'm lucky in that I live with two very obsessively clean people (one of whom will notice the degree to which a potted plant has been moved an inch or two on the window sill) so the house is always in tip-top shape. I spend at least one out of my two days off cleaning, doing laundry, hoovering, cleaning the bathroom etc and we also get a cleaner in once a week.

I don't think I'd fare too well if I had messy flatmates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

My OH and I are both slobs, after a couple of years how messy the house is being about the only thing that caused arguments we decided to start getting a cleaner in. We very rarely argue about anything now. If money ever gets tight the cleaner will be the very last luxury to go. They get the house so much cleaner than I ever could.

Even tho I'm a total slob I would still be very conscious of the house being messy if people called over.

Anywhere from minimum wage to €15 an hour. If you go to a cleaning company it'll be on the higher end because they need to pay the cleaner and cover their own costs. If you get someone freelance then it'll be much cheaper. We pay €10 an hour. How long it takes depends on the size of your house, how dirty you are and how quick the cleaner you get is. I'd imagine usually between 3 and 5 hours for a standard 2/3 bedroom place.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I'm one of those people who say 'don't mind the state of the place' even though I spent hours cleaning it up before visitors arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm very clean and tidy, as I just can't abide living in mess. In every flat share I've had, I've always had the neatest bedroom. I'm always the cleanest too, as I can't relax after meals until I've washed up and tidied up after myself. That being said, I refuse to clean other people's mess unless it's strictly necessary.

I can't understand how people can live in dirty/untidy houses. It would drive me scatty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I realised by accident recently that it's all
    My mothers fault. Growing up we ALWAYS had a " drawer" where random things were stuffed and that was always jammed with items and vagrant parts & useful " things"...when I got my own house it followed that I had a messy drawer - now I have an entire room filled to the gils with " stuff". My brothers girlfriend was astounded when I got her to lie on her stomach to peer through the tower of things so that she could see that it was indeed actually the second bathroom....

How many toilets does a person need!? ( mine is always spotless)

Jesus you seem to be a lot like me.....that's not good for you tbh :pac:

Thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My house is furry.

Cos of animals, not mould or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I used to be quite untidy. Then I lived with an extremely untidy, dirty person for a while last year. I then went a bit OCD with cleanliness for a while, mainly to set an example to that person, didn't really work though :o

Since then I've moved in with my boyfriend and I'm starting to get a bit less tidy again, as he is not very tidy. Although if someone is calling over the house has to be spotless! And I go on mad fits of cleaning every now and then.

I could never pay for a cleaner. That seems ridiculous. Why would you pay for a cleaner when you can just clean yourself :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I could never pay for a cleaner. That seems ridiculous. Why would you pay for a cleaner when you can just clean yourself :confused:

You could say the same about literally anything. Why go out to dinner when you can just cook yourself? Why buy veg in the shopping centre when you can just grow your own? It pretty much boils down to how much the hours spent doing those things are worth to you.

• Advertisement

Why would you pay for a cleaner when you can just clean yourself :confused:

Lack of time or a hatred of cleaning :)

I'm very tidy and clean, I couldn't live with a messy person. I'd never be able to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

If I clean the mess that is my room, I'd have more trouble trying to find **** I used to throw in the designated proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

You could say the same about literally anything. Why go out to dinner when you can just cook yourself? Why buy veg in the shopping centre when you can just grow your own? It pretty much boils down to how much the hours spent doing those things are worth to you.

Yeah, I guess. I think it's because I was brought up in a home with very little money and I have a mentality that cleaners are for "rich people". Also think it would make me look lazy :o

Yeah, I guess. I think it's because I was brought up in a home with very little money and I have a mentality that cleaners are for "rich people". Also think it would make me look lazy :o

I used to have a cleaner once a week where I lived last. I always made the bed before she came, even though she was going to be changing it. I didn't want her to think I was lazy :)

I've a tiny place now so I do it myself, but a cleaner was well worth the money when I was under a lot more time pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Have three teenagers. I just close their bedroom door when I'm passing don't even look in. D'ont mind if people are untidy but ground in dirt no way
    As my Mother used to say years ago

There is an excuse for poverty but none for dirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would rather spend the time doing something I enjoy. Havent done it myself, would need to see how much it costs to get done but it is definitely something I would consider.

I realised by accident recently that it's all
    My mothers fault. Growing up we ALWAYS had a " drawer" where random things were stuffed and that was always jammed with items and vagrant parts & useful " things"...when I got my own house it followed that I had a messy drawer - now I have an entire room filled to the gils with " stuff". My brothers girlfriend was astounded when I got her to lie on her stomach to peer through the tower of things so that she could see that it was indeed actually the second bathroom....

How many toilets does a person need!? ( mine is always spotless)

I have two drawers in the kitchen exactly the same you could find anything in them and my handbag is the same.

Candie wrote: »
    I used to have a cleaner once a week where I lived last. I always made the bed before she came, even though she was going to be changing it. I didn't want her to think I was lazy :)

I've a tiny place now so I do it myself, but a cleaner was well worth the money when I was under a lot more time pressure.

My friend has a cleaner in while she goes out and cleans someone elses house 100% true story

I grew up in a home with very little money, and my mam went to other peoples houses to clean them just to keep us going. My grandmother did the same.

They, and I still think that for busy people a cleaner is one of the best things you can spend money on, if you have it to spend. There's nothing lazy about it, there are still plenty of things that need to be done in between the cleaner's visits but the likes of changing the beds, washing the floors, hoovering underneath the cushions on the sofa!!! are things you no longer have to worry about. If you're working full time, and you are busy with other things in your life, then it's one of the nicest things to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I am so messy it's not even funny. Usually it's just my bedroom and my sitting room and kitchen are nice and tidy though!

Advertisement