Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How untidy are you people?

Options
  • 19-07-2014 7:51pm

How untidy do you let your house get before you would be uncomfortable with someone calling around?

I had people over last weekend after the pub, a lot of people, I ended up letting them use the bathroom in my bedroom as well as the main one because there was a queue. My bed was made, and the place was tidy but my running clothes were on the floor because I had to so a quick turnaround earlier in the day when I was home. I apologised profusely for "the state of the place". I got funny looks.

I saw someone come up the to the front door earlier and I looked around in panic to make sure the place was clean.

Does everyone worry to some degree about "the state of the place" when people call over or do I need to relax ta fcuk. I wouldn't even notice if someone else's house was untidy like, unless it was dirty then I might.

So how untidy are you? And do you notice when other peoples houses are untidy?

Yes I know it's Saturday night and there's loads of deadly things happening but I've to stay in because I've something on early in the morning so this is as exciting as my night is going to get!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I would be a clean freak to a certain extent as well.

If you want us to call around & rate the cleanliness there Whoops, just say the word.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I apologised profusely for "the state of the place". I got funny looks.

i did that before lots of times and got the same strange looks, i think i offended my in-laws once too by saying that, it sounded like i was apologising for our place (which was tidier than their house usually is) and they got very strange about it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I can be tidy as anything or a bit messy. Usually a bit messy but I clean up if it's gets too messy. Enough to look bad if someone calls around is enough a reason to clean. I hate people calling when my house isn't clean

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I would be a clean freak to a certain extent as well.

If you want us to call around & rate the cleanliness there Whoops, just say the word.

:D

*has panic attack*

Give me an hour will ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My hutch is chilled out. So long as there's no dirty dishes in the sink, the laundry is in the basket and no visible dust round the place it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I literally have car parts under my bed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

House is always clean and tidy due to my CDO (I know it's OCD but it's much neater alphabetically)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Visitors to my gaff need to wipe their feet on the way out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

When it reaches windowsill level, we get a mini-digger in.

Not really, the Missus is a clean-freak. In a good way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Very untidy. I clean my room annually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Dishes are the main issue, sink is the only untidy area. Only two of us here so not sure how we accumulate so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

When it reaches windowsill level, we get a mini-digger in.

Not really, the Missus is a clean-freak. In a good way .

Ditto. Mine actually made me get out of bed one day just so she could make it. :mad:

Ruu wrote: »
    Dishes are the main issue, sink is the only untidy area. Only two of us here so not sure how we accumulate so much!

Paper plates are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love a clean house! Can't claim the blinds are totally dust free, and the tiles in the bathroom upstairs need a good scrub, but it's definitely a consistent 8 out of 10.

I definitely notice other people's houses as well. Especially the bathrooms, there is something awful about a dirty bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I am really really untidy. I never make my bed and would have about two weeks worth of clothes on the floor. I don't think I'm dirty though but have no problem leaving dinner dishes ' soaking' until the next day.
    If I went to someone's house, I couldn't care less if they were messy but if the place was dirty, it would put me off accepting food or something to drink off them.

And oh god if the bathroom was dirty, I'd be making my excuses to leave ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Until the bottles of piss start to smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Utter durtburd :). Then I've a free gaff to do what I like right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Does everyone worry to some degree about "the state of the place" when people call over or do I need to relax ta fcuk. I wouldn't even notice if someone else's house was untidy like, unless it was dirty then I might.

I used to warn people if they were calling unexpectedly "just to let you know, the place is a state", stopped when one of my best friends replied "jesus, I won't bother so? I don't care what the house looks like".

I'm fairly untidy, to be honest, but a lot of that is because I have hoarder tendencies. I usually don't have enough storage for the amount of clothes and books I have, and surfaces will be cluttered with ornaments, candles, crockery, etc. If I'm house-sharing I think I'm pretty good at keeping the communal areas decent, I've never had any complaints and I'm definitely not one to leave dishes festering in the sink or bins overflowing or anything. But I'm looking around my bedroom now and...yeah, it's not great when you can't see most of the carpet, is it?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i did that before lots of times and got the same strange looks, i think i offended my in-laws once too by saying that, it sounded like i was apologising for our place (which was tidier than their house usually is) and they got very strange about it,

Oh I never looked at it that way!

I know I said that I like things to match once, cups and the likes, and my friend was like "eh, you must have a heart attack when you come to my house" :D
    Course I couldn't give a fiddlers if her stuff doesn't match, it's only in my house - and I do have stuff that doesn't match aswell like!

I'm also the same about underwear (matching, not being tidy!) :o

• Advertisement

I'm also the same about underwear (matching, not being tidy!) :o

Must not think impure thoughts.

Would never judge other peoples houses if they were untidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ah if I find the place getting too untidy I just get the butler to order the maid to clean it so it never really gets too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

We get a cleaner in once a week cos we both hate cleaning. My parents were disgusted that we have a cleaner - think we are "getting above our station" I reckon...

Before cleaner the place got pretty messy but not dirty. We have lots of pets so there is always hair everywhere. Clean freaks - couldn't be dealing with them. "Take your shoes off before yo come into the house" etc.., Eh, no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I literally have car parts under my bed..

You and me both! few driveshafts....a few hubs, the usual yknow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My place - I'm told - is spotless. I'd say it's tidy alright and never more than a few days between a hoovering and having the floor washed, but I just think of it as "tidy enough" myself.

I'm the same with the car though.. Never leave stuff like chocolate wrappers in it, and once I can see little stones gathering in the footwell it's time for a good clean.

Maybe I have a problem :p

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Must not think impure thoughts.

Would never judge other peoples houses if they were untidy.

Yup, I genuinely don't mind if someones house had been "lived in". Ill do a bit of hoovering and the like but I lose no sleep knowing theres dishes need cleaning:D

Now a quick story. A person I knew tested, then broke my very limits.. Im talking grease running down the windows and walls from years of fry ups, an actual layer of movable dirt on the floor, rather strange smells but deceptively clean cutlery.

Now the test: I went to the bathroom. It had never been cleaned. The bowl was a sort of yellowy cream colour till the waterline at which point it turns creamy brown. The near black rings on the bath tub fascinated me. And, Im ashamed to admit, a morbid curiosity overcame me when I saw it. What did a tub that filthy feel like... The close I can come to is open out a cereal box and scrape your fingernails along the inside..

Now the breakage.
    Walking down the hall I spotted, under the kitchen table, white dog sh*t.
    His dog was a good while dead.
    We had words..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I hate cleaning. And my partner isn't too fussed about it either.

I tend to give the house a good run over once a week, but until then, it can get quite messy.

Don't really care what visitors think either. Mind as soon as we can afford to, we'll have a cleaner once a week or so. Definitely worth paying for.

You and me both! few driveshafts....a few hubs, the usual yknow? :P

Hello, brotha! :D
    Crankshaft wrapped in an oiled shirt and bin bag, brake parts 4 ECUs and some other bits myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Do any other glasses-wearers just take their glasses off to get another couple days between cleaning the house?

• Advertisement

Yup, I genuinely don't mind if someones house had been "lived in". Ill do a bit of hoovering and the like but I lose no sleep knowing theres dishes need cleaning:D

Now a quick story. A person I knew tested, then broke my very limits.. Im talking grease running down the windows and walls from years of fry ups, an actual layer of movable dirt on the floor, rather strange smells but deceptively clean cutlery.

Now the test: I went to the bathroom. It had never been cleaned. The bowl was a sort of yellowy cream colour till the waterline at which point it turns creamy brown. The near black rings on the bath tub fascinated me. And, Im ashamed to admit, a morbid curiosity overcame me when I saw it. What did a tub that filthy feel like... The close I can come to is open out a cereal box and scrape your fingernails along the inside..

Now the breakage.
    Walking down the hall I spotted, under the kitchen table, white dog sh*t.
    His dog was a good while dead.
    We had words..

Sounds like you needed anti viral shots before entering.

Advertisement