Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost rent, don't know what to do.

Options
  • 18-07-2014 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello everyone I am new here so I hope I am doing this right. I have a bit of an embarrassing first post. The other day I was in Dublin and decided since I was in the city that I would drop the rent money into the bank, so I got the on the luas and went to the bank. When I got to the bank my wallet was missing. I don't know if it fell out of my pocket or it was taken but its gone. along with my wallet was all the money I had for rent, now since I live in Laois it wasn't in the thousands but it was still a considerable amount of money. I reported it lost but to be honest i'm not that hopeful, so anyway its rent day and I have no money for rent I should explain that I would go to my landlord and just say could I have a few weeks to give him the rent but realistically if I was trying to save two months rent in one month I would be left with no food or electricity( prepay power). I would be fine with this but there is a two year old and her mother in the house. I would really appreciate any advice on what I could do about this. Before anyone says it I cant get an overdraft, cu loan or ask family, I have tried them all.
    I will admit that carrying so much money with me was idiotic but I had planned to deposit it that day. Apologies for my bad grammar.
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

If your landlord is a decent sort he / she should allow you 2 to 3 months to make up the arrears considering your misfortune. Talk to them. Presumably he is holding a deposit so you if there is an issue such as he has a mortgage to pay, suggest that he takes this months rent from your deposit while you make up the arrears, reinstating the deposit.

Also, one other point. Prepay Power will end up costing you considerably more for your electricity than a standard bill pay system will. You would be better off taking a look at a site like bonkers.ie to check out who is offering good deals for new customers at the moment. If you then switch to another provider with a two monthly bill, you could then either put the money you would have been paying into your electricity account via online banking or using one of the credit card style payment cards your provider can send you. They are accepted at all post offices / Payzone outlets etc. By the time your bill come in your will be in credit so the amount you need to pay at that point should be nominal (or possibly nothing at all if you have overestimated your weekly payments, in which case any remaining credit will carry over to your next bill). The primary benefit to you at a time like this of course would be that your electricity does not immediately get cut off if you are having a bad week or month financially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ohohseven

If your landlord is a decent sort he / she should allow you 2 to 3 months to make up the arrears considering your misfortune. Talk to them. Presumably he is holding a deposit so you if there is an issue such as he has a mortgage to pay, suggest that he takes this months rent from your deposit while you make up the arrears, reinstating the deposit.

Also, one other point. Prepay Power will end up costing you considerably more for your electricity than a standard bill pay system will. You would be better off taking a look at a site like bonkers.ie to check out who is offering good deals for new customers at the moment. If you then switch to another provider with a two monthly bill, you could then either put the money you would have been paying into your electricity account via online banking or using one of the credit card style payment cards your provider can send you. They are accepted at all post offices / Payzone outlets etc. By the time your bill come in your will be in credit so the amount you need to pay at that point should be nominal (or possibly nothing at all if you have overestimated your weekly payments, in which case any remaining credit will carry over to your next bill). The primary benefit to you at a time like this of course would be that your electricity does not immediately get cut off if you are having a bad week or month financially.

I wish he was a decent sort, I've been late once before and he pestered me until he got it, so I was just saying that I could say it but he wouldn't give me awhile to pay it back he would want it pretty sharpish. And the prepaypower was here when I moved in I inquired about going to another provider but he says he wants it to stay the way it is incase we ran out without paying the bill. which I kind of understand. But thank you for the advice.

ohohseven wrote: »
    I wish he was a decent sort, I've been late once before and he pestered me until he got it, so I was just saying that I could say it but he wouldn't give me awhile to pay it back he would want it pretty sharpish. And the prepaypower was here when I moved in I inquired about going to another provider but he says he wants it to stay the way it is incase we ran out without paying the bill. which I kind of understand. But thank you for the advice.

OK, so what about the point I made about letting him take the rent out of your deposit until you can make up the arrears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You may have had a better chance if you had always paid on time before.

You're effectively asking your landlord for a loan. Ask your mates, your family for that kind of favour... Why lumber the landlord with your personal problems, he barely knows you.

OK, so what about the point I made about letting him take the rent out of your deposit until you can make up the arrears?

I will ask him that, I haven't exactly told him about the rent yet though.But I will ask him tonight.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »

You're effectively asking your landlord for a loan. Ask your mates, your family for that kind of favour... Why lumber the landlord with your personal problems, he barely knows you.

That is an incredibly unhelpful post. Did you even read what the OP said properly?
    Before anyone says it I cant get an overdraft, cu loan or ask family, I have tried them all.

I really can't understand why you would post something like that when the OP is asking for help and advice.

I will ask him that, I haven't exactly told him about the rent yet though.But I will ask him tonight.

OK, best of look with that, I hope is is receptive to the suggestion.

I have asked my family and friends. and I didn't ask him for anything. I'm asking for advice not your smug answers.

OK, best of look with that, I hope is is receptive to the suggestion.

I will let you know.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have asked my family and friends. and I didn't ask him for anything. I'm asking for advice not your smug answers.

ohohseven, welcome to boards.
    If you continue to post here I would advise you to take a read of the charters of each forum - ours can be found here.

Please report a post if you have a problem with it and let the moderators of each forum deal with it; if you deal with it yourself you leave yourself open to breaching one of the forum rules and being infracted.

Thank you

Morri

• Advertisement

ok sorry I will remeber that In future.

O.K so I went around to my landlord and he didn't go for the idea at all. I know that if he wants to give me my notice he has to give me fourteen days to pay the arrears though so I wont worry to much about that yet, but I quite like this house so I do not want it to come to that. So has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get the money together without being to drastic ?. I have nothing to sell so that's out the window. someone said I could apply for an exceptional needs payment from DSP but I wouldn't know anything about that does anybody here have information on that payment ?. I am already on j.a so I do not know if they would agree to help me. Any genuine advice is welcomed. Anything that is written just to ridicule me will be ignored. Thank you.

I really can't understand why you would post something like that when the OP is asking for help and advice.

Because landlords are not a bank of infinite funding. The landlord has bills to pay too, and OP is wondering if it's ok not to give him his wages this month.

OP has no overdraft arrangement, no credit union account, has been late on rent before, no friend or family member who can lend him even this (apparantly small) amount of money... If someone came to you and asked for money with that history, would you lend it to them? Then why would his landlord?

I'd suggest claiming off insurance for theft. OP, did you organise contents insurance when you moved in?

Because landlords are not a bank of infinite funding. The landlord has bills to pay too, and OP is wondering if it's ok not to give him his wages this month.

OP has no overdraft arrangement, no credit union account, has been late on rent before, no friend or family member who can lend him even this (apparantly small) amount of money... If someone came to you and asked for money with that history, would you lend it to them? Then why would his landlord?

I'd suggest claiming off insurance for theft. OP, did you organise contents insurance when you moved in?

O.k so you suggest that I should defraud my insurance company ?. Thats great advice.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

O.k so you suggest that I should defraud my insurance company ?. Thats great advice.

That is not what pwurple said...some people have contents insurance that covers the theft of money & items outside the home.

If you can't be civil to other posters here I will lock your thread.

/Mod

I already aknowledged that the landlord could have bills to pay and offered a potential solution:
    Presumably he is holding a deposit so you if there is an issue such as he has a mortgage to pay, suggest that he takes this months rent from your deposit while you make up the arrears, reinstating the deposit.

Did you not read that either?

Why you continue to post in this thread when you have nothing to contribute in terms of the advice the OP is looking for is beyond me.

O.K so I went around to my landlord and he didn't go for the idea at all. I know that if he wants to give me my notice he has to give me fourteen days to pay the arrears though so I wont worry to much about that yet, but I quite like this house so I do not want it to come to that. So has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get the money together without being to drastic ?. I have nothing to sell so that's out the window. someone said I could apply for an exceptional needs payment from DSP but I wouldn't know anything about that does anybody here have information on that payment ?. I am already on j.a so I do not know if they would agree to help me. Any genuine advice is welcomed. Anything that is written just to ridicule me will be ignored. Thank you.

You could try contacting St Vincent DePaul, they can and do help in these situations. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like to take charity, pay them back when you can.

That is not what pwurple said...some people have contents insurance that covers the theft of money & items outside the home.

If you can't be civil to other posters here I will lock your thread.

/Mod
    Ok fair enough, I can't prove theft anyway, so I can't tell me insurance that it was theft, because I might have just simply lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

all I'll say is you're only as good as your last cheque and the landlord is under no obligation to help in this situation. don't see why he should to be honest.

You could try contacting St Vincent DePaul, they can and do help in these situations. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like to take charity, pay them back when you can.

Is that the people that give food vouchers and stuff ?.

• Advertisement

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    all I'll say is you're only as good as your last cheque and the landlord is under no obligation to help in this situation. don't see why he should to be honest.

Either do I, I was given advice and I took the advice. It would be pointless of me to ask for advice and then moan that it's bad advice without trying first. Although it was good advice.

Is that the people that give food vouchers and stuff ?.

Yes, they also help with bills and such. As I said, you appear to have the ability to repay the money over a longer period of time than your landlord is willing to accept so it would be a nice gesture to re-donate the money back to Vincents when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OP, contact the SVdP they can help.

ABOUT US/WHAT WE DO

The aim of the St Vincent de Paul Society is to tackle poverty in all its forms through the provision of practical assistance to those in need.

The concept of need is broader than financial hardship, so visiting the sick, the lonely, the imprisoned form a large proportion of the Society's work.

The Society operates in small groups, called "Conferences", based on local parishes which meet regularly and their work is usually concentrated on local visiting.

However over the years, the SVP has responded to social changes, provides a range of additional services depending on the prevailing need. Today, these “Special Works” include shops, resource centres, provides accommodation to vulnerable people and various holiday schemes amongst other things.

http://www.svp.ie/Contact-Us.aspx

Just to clarify I have lived here for a year and a half and I was late with rent once before a year ago. So it's not like this is a constant occurence. Thanks.

Yes, they also help with bills and such. As I said, you appear to have the ability to repay the money over a longer period of time than your landlord is willing to accept so it would be a nice gesture to re-donate the money back to Vincents when you can.
    Ok I will ring them on monday, thank you I assume they are not around on weekends ?.

rawn wrote: »
    OP, contact the SVdP they can help.

Thank you I will.

I already aknowledged that the landlord could have bills to pay and offered a potential solution:

Did you not read that either?

Why you continue to post in this thread when you have nothing to contribute in terms of the advice the OP is looking for is beyond me.

A deposit is not a lending pot for tenants to dip into if they are a bit skint. The deposit has a specific use, as security to cover damage to the property. What is the landlord supposed to do if the tenant forgets to pay it back? Suck up any damage done? It's suggestions like this which are leading to landlords asking for two months rent as deposit, like in other countries.

I suggested using contents insurance for lost or stolen money, that is specifcially what such insurance is for.

Here's another suggestion, Perhaps you could lend him what he needs. :)

Ok I will ring them on monday, thank you I assume they are not around on weekends ?.

No harm in trying to call them tomorrow but it's unlikely. If they have a shop near you that's open tomorrow, you could drop in and ask for a name maybe?

Ok fair enough, I can't prove theft anyway, so I can't tell me insurance that it was theft, because I might have just simply lost.

Your insurance can also cover loss.

Do you have any insurance?

• Advertisement

A deposit is not a lending pot for tenants to dip into if they are a bit skint. The deposit has a specific use, as security to cover damage to the property. What is the landlord supposed to do if the tenant forgets to pay it back? Suck up any damage done? It's suggestions like this which are leading to landlords asking for two months rent as deposit, like in other countries.

I suggested using contents insurance for lost or stolen money, that is specifcially what such insurance is for.

Here's another suggestion, Perhaps you could lend him what he needs. :)

Since you still have nothing of use to contribute, I'm now going to simply ignore your trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement