Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaco DL discussion

Options
  • 18-07-2014 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Great start so far

Rudisha 5th but a sub 1.43 so shows he is slowly but surely returning to full fitness, Bosse puts down a marker before Euro's with a new NR for France

Bitter sweet for Alex Rowe who managed to equal the Australian record....... a record which has stood since the 1968 Mexico Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great race, 5 sub 1.42. Amos is just about the most ungainly finisher I've ever seen!

Can't wait for this high jump competition. What is all this talk from Kiprop about breaking the WR. A bit of self promotion?

What a race, Kiprop left himself open to that. It was an all or nothing strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Another NR for Ingebritsen, serious contender for Zurich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Pace makers have alot to answer for there with some pretty poor pacing (why didn't Magut just drop at 400 to go all he was doing was slowing Kiprop) some race though, 7 sub 3.30s in the same race, delighted to see Willis get that Area record under 3.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

ecoli wrote: »
    Pace makers have alot to answer for there with some pretty poor pacing (why didn't Magut just drop at 400 to go all he was doing was slowing Kiprop) some race though, 7 sub 3.30s in the same race, delighted to see Willis get that Area record under 3.30

Yeah two fantastic races... 54:06 for first 400 was suicide for sure but FairPlay to Kiprop for having the stones to go for it... Centro and Manzano both 3:30 so PBs for them. Class meet w/ all the NR's falling.

Molly Huddle for the AR here btw....

She looks in form alright the last while. Well on pace anyway

Glad to see Molly Huddle moving up and taking better order of it.

Rowbury looking like she will push her to the line for it

• Advertisement

Long jump guys warming up. :mad:

Looks like Huddle got it in roughly 14.40 ish (going by pictures and commentary)

Edit: 14.42.62

pconn062 wrote: »
    Long jump guys warming up. :mad:

Pretty annoying and w/out channeling the ghost of t-bag runner pretty sexist as well.

Pretty annoying and w/out channeling the ghost of t-bag runner pretty sexist as well.

No sexism unfortunately, part of the DL initiative was to try and add filler in the long distance races and give field events more exposure, happens the whole time on the official broadcasters

And now for the (former) dopers

Gatlin, 19:68.....into a headwind.

Nothing to enjoy about Gatlin running a WL

In fairness w/ Bolt and Blake running .5 sec faster Gatlin is the least of the sports problems...

Bondarenko, unreal.

In fairness w/ Bolt and Blake running .5 sec faster Gatlin is the least of the sports problems...
    T
    Can't really get that much worse than a 32 ex drug cheat running 0.5 second PB in 200m and winning a DL event

• Advertisement

T
    Can't really get that much worse than a 32 ex drug cheat running 0.5 second PB in 200m and winning a DL event

Into a -0.5 headwind no less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

pconn062 wrote: »
    Bondarenko, unreal.

Pity the Beeb coverage cut off before the end.

dna_leri wrote: »

Looks like the results feed on the DL page isn't updating either :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

dna_leri wrote: »

Bondarenko wins at 2.40. I'm reckoning it's the Qatar boy Barshim that will break the WR sometime soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

? do you think Bolt and Blake are cheating?

? do you think Bolt and Blake are cheating?

W/ out violating the charter here I'll leave that question up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

W/ out violating the charter here I'll leave that question up to you.

hopefully not as this would be the athletics equivalent of the Armstrong Lie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ecoli wrote: »

Bitter sweet for Alex Rowe who managed to equal the Australian record....... a record which has stood since the 1968 Mexico Olympics

Absolutely delighted for him. One of the nicest guys you could meet in athletics, and a good supporter of the grassroots scene in Melbourne. My claim to fame now is that I beat the national record holder in a beer mile. :D

Seeing this result though does make you want to tear your hair out that English wasn't involved. The NR would have been a certainty in that race!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

A great evenings athletics. The Mens 800 and 1500 were exciting races. Rudisha really went for but he is not back to his best yet, very impressed with Bosse, he should be a favourite for gold in Zurich although he didn't impress in Moscow last year. Kiprop is a great looking effort less runner but he overstretched himself with his pre race hype. I don't think the pacers were brilliant in either race.

Men's high jump was spectacular. All ten men cleared 2.30, some standard. Bondarenko can clear 2.40 at ease these days. It would be great to see the world record go at some point. Mens 110 hurdles was a great race, along with the womens 5k &800.It's probably the best night of athletics I've seen in a while.

The Men's 200 was a bit of a sickener. Really can't stand Gatlin, it's a bit of a joke that Dwain Chambers doesn't get invited to the Diamond league and repays all his winning yet Gatlin & Gay are treated like heros. Along with Powell and Simpson getting reduced bans, I'm not sure where the drugs stand is going, there certainly is a lot of double standards.

• Advertisement

One thing I thought ight be interesting to discuss is the decline of the long jump. Monaco tonight was won in 8.09m (mens), Glasgow 8.21m I think. Nowhere near what they were jumping 20 years ago. Any reason for this or is it just the natural ebb and flow of standard in the event?

Advertisement