Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting insurance on a jet ski

Options
  • 18-07-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon

So I'm looking to get insurance on my jet ski (fully comp) and I want to get a few prices. At the moment Yachtsman is the only place I've got a quote from. Anyone have any other ideas where I can get some more quotes?

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I suspect you'll have difficulty with this one. Most insurers specifically exclude jet-skis. Try ringing the likes of craftinsure and allianz to see if they can quote you on a non-standard policy? It might be worth engaging a broker, though.

See here:
    http://www.iwai.ie/boatingservices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Did you get the engine sorted?

maybe not worth insuring it until you get it sorted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Having an RYA PWC Licence will also help getting cheeper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Did you get the engine sorted?

maybe not worth insuring it until you get it sorted.

Yup, got it fully repaired (costing a total of €870, ouch). Had to replace 2 pistons & get 2 cylinders re-sleeved. I'm now looking to get this insured just in case it gets stolen or damaged in the water.

I've tried all the insurers on that list and Yaughtsman seem to be the only ones able to insure.

With regards to the licence I may look in to that but unfortunately the problem doesn't seem to be the price, it's just that only one company will insure jet skis.

Rob2593 wrote: »
    Yup, got it fully repaired (costing a total of €870, ouch). Had to replace 2 pistons & get 2 cylinders re-sleeved. I'm now looking to get this insured just in case it gets stolen or damaged in the water.

I've tried all the insurers on that list and Yaughtsman seem to be the only ones able to insure.

With regards to the licence I may look in to that but unfortunately the problem doesn't seem to be the price, it's just that only one company will insure jet skis.

Ouch indeed. What is the price you are being quoted out of interest?

I think I have my speedboat with Allianz for 90 a year and the fishing boat is 80 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is it any wonder insurance is so hard to get, you should see this guy up in Carlingford :eek: Sorry it's a FB link https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=793458724006986&set=vb.100000285962718&type=2&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

What a muppet. How on earth did he even get in there in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

fergal.b wrote: »
    Having an RYA PWC Licence will also help getting cheeper insurance.

Since the OP is talking about "fully comp" insurance, I get the impression that he's a sensible sort of chap...........unlike most of the jet-skiing cowboys I've come across. Have you seen how many beaches now prohibit the launching of PWC because of these "look at me", untrained and uninsured yobs?

Proper training and a license are the sort of things that sensible chaps pursue (dare I say) regardless of lower premiums! You'll learn how to control the craft properly and safely and have REAL fun instead of merely buzzing swimmers and paddlers.

Best of luck, OP. Hope you get sorted and maybe see you soon in more than 15 inches of water!

Is it any wonder insurance is so hard to get, you should see this guy up in Carlingford :eek: Sorry it's a FB link https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=793458724006986&set=vb.100000285962718&type=2&theater

That's pretty special. Will do wonders for the jet drive.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Ouch indeed. What is the price you are being quoted out of interest?

I think I have my speedboat with Allianz for 90 a year and the fishing boat is 80 a year.
    I'm getting a quote at €200 a year, which is fine but again, I'd rather shop around to get the best price.

With regards to that video; how he even got there in the first place is beyond me. No doubt that beep was his engine saying goodbye, silly silly person. :pac:

• Advertisement

I think the water was there before he went to the pub :D

I think the water was there before he went to the pub :D

Haha now it all makes sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I'm getting a quote at €200 a year, which is fine but again, I'd rather shop around to get the best price.

With regards to that video; how he even got there in the first place is beyond me. No doubt that beep was his engine saying goodbye, silly silly person. :pac:

I have my insurance with allianz 150 for 26ft sail boat covers IRL and UK excludes racing..
    The lads advise on doing a course couldn't be more spot on if you are a novice.
    Most accidents at sea are avoidable with simple bits and bobs
    I'm not sure how much a jet ski course is but I'm guessing 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I have my insurance with allianz 150 for 26ft sail boat covers IRL and UK excludes racing..
    The lads advise on doing a course couldn't be more spot on if you are a novice.
    Most accidents at sea are avoidable with simple bits and bobs
    I'm not sure how much a jet ski course is but I'm guessing 250?

Advertisement