Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Saw this on the FPL reddit and thought it was worth posting here:

What have you learned from this season that you will try to remember next season?

Don't overthink things and try to be too clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What have you learned from this season that you will try to remember next season?
    Big thing for me was that reputations mean SFA in fantasy football. Most of my biggest regrets were when I bought players based on what they did last year (Sturridge, Yaya, Walcott) rather than current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dont plan too far ahead maximise your points each gameweek.
    Dont obsess over DGW's and plan transfers for weeks around them.
    Get as many cheap playing defenders into your team as early as you can.
    Dont worry about player ownership, captaincy percentages etc. Play your own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What have I learned? Probably nothing :pac:

- I didn't obsess about not having a player who was performing well which was what I'd learned from the year before :o But I did take on the status quo in a number of individual GWs and that was mainly on captaincy.

- I know I'm a good player, but I can't help but press the self destruction button at times. I'm going to try and work on that.

- Each season is different. What works one season doesn't mean it'll work the next one. As a group the FSA has had a much better season than last year. Just because you know what you're doing and have experience doesn't always pay off.

- I'm a peacock and you gotta let me fly.

- I prefer the chase. I got to 1.6k and then I lost the plot, partly that was down to playing my F*CKING WILDCARD at the end of November during midweek games. Made a few late changes which cost me a bucket load of points and sent me into a spiral that only stopped once I hit 50k.

- Do not leave your transfers until 30 minutes before the deadline. I will do something stupid.

- Don't give up. I was at 51k at the end of GW32. I'm currently at 12k halfway through this GW. Anything from Sanchez and I'm sunk mind.

- Reaffirmed my ideals of not being afraid to take risks. Not stupid, idiotic risks like RVP, Kevin Nolan, dancing around ADM for months, persisting with Walcott and Kramaric but something you know could well work. Get ahead of the curve like Pelle earlier than anyone else. Captaining PVA :pac:

- No matter how much I fall out of love with the game it sucks me back in. January to April and I could do nothing right. But these last couple of GWs have brought the excitement right back :)

- I will always go way overboard with my answers to simple questions at times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

It's not only from this season but it applies to it too.

The key in this game is to find the right balance between being stupidly stubborn or cleverly patient. There's a fine line here between being an idiot or a genius, a hero or a zero.

If I take my own example this year, patience and confidence in e.g. Sanchez, Silva and Aguero eventually got me rewarded for it. I also got away with being too patient with Costa earlier in the season but played better the second time and managed very well Sanchez in the last couple of months. Got rid when he got injured and back when he (too) quickly returned and despite not making instant benefit over my move, the flexibility I gained on Sanchez (price) was a nice bonus lately. And he did have the couple of big GWs I brought him back for.

Actually, what I probably played best is the Fabregas/Hazard situation. Started with the former and benefitted from his glorious start of the season. Got Hazard in GW14 and ditched Fab in GW15. Got him back for Chelsea DGW which worked out nicely. Had I gotten Hazard (for ADM) 2 or 4 GWs earlier (his previous 2 tasty home fixtures) and rid of Fabregas 2 GWs earlier, it'd have been perfect play. But I'm fairly happy of how I managed this switch. I played it to the perfection cash wise and very well points wise. Without being too cocky, I could say that I found the right balance here between stubborness and patience :cool:.

On the other hand my (stupid) certainty over the what I believed useless DGW31 cost me 40 pts. When many go for it with 2 to 3 DGW punts and you arrogantly sweep all of them aside, don't be surprised if you pay the price. I paid the price. DGW punts may not always work. But if you don't take them you're sure they won't :p.

I've also been too patient (3-4 GWs) with ADM early on and gave him back too much credit later on before I finally realised he was not gonna make it at ManU. There I didn't find the right balance.

-- edit --
    Just a note. I particularly find Hazard, Fab & ADM examples pertinent because we all saw their form decline/rise over several weeks. So they're not just luckily/unluckily timed moves. To a lesser extent, I'd say the same about my Sanchez, Silva & Aguero examples. We all know what these players have been and are capable of. They showed it earlier in this season. So it's no huge surprise that they rewarded their owners lately :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

3.5 Million players :P

a5f0ca8326b0432f147ce4e0cc71815d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

3.5 Million players :P

a5f0ca8326b0432f147ce4e0cc71815d.png

Reading this on mobile skin so have to click to see the image. Thought it was players in the game valued at 3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 32,886 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't keep assuming someone won't continue to put the points together.

2 years in a row I've been hurt by Ramsey and then Fabregas all the way upto Christmas.

Sometimes it's better to have these guys just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Fabregas screwed me a few times as well but I nailed my colours to the mast early on and could never get him in.
    He's been the luckiest point gatherer in my time playing this game, assist after assist for routine passes and corners and form wise it's been his worst season ever. I wouldn't have him in the team if I was picking it.

Fabregas screwed me a few times as well but I nailed my colours to the mast early on and could never get him in.
    He's been the luckiest point gatherer in my time playing this game, assist after assist for routine passes and corners and form wise it's been his worst season ever. I wouldn't have him in the team if I was picking it.

You wouldn't have him in the Chelsea team? That's a ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Lemlin wrote: »
    You wouldn't have him in the Chelsea team? That's a ridiculous statement.

It's just like .my opinion maaaan.
    Honestly I don't rate him like I used to. I'd certainly be looking to replace him if I was boss. Still good fpl option because his two yard passes get him bonus and simply floating corners into the box get him assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

At a Stag next weekend with second place in my pay league (he's also a mate but until the season is over he'll be know in fpl terms). Half thinking about leaving my phone switched off for fear of a drunken transfer mistake or something more sinister.

Not sure the missus would buy that excuse though.

It's just like .my opinion maaaan.
    Honestly I don't rate him like I used to. I'd certainly be looking to replace him if I was boss. Still good fpl option because his two yard passes get him bonus and simply floating corners into the box get him assists.

But who would you play ahead of him? He's a top player. Can be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lemlin wrote: »
    But who would you play ahead of him? He's a top player. Can be a game changer.

Changed the game tonight all right! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

gimmick wrote: »

I have also learned this season that every bit of tinkering I do on Saturday mornings actually costs me points.

In an admirable showing of refusing to learn my own lessons despite overwhelming evidence, i once again tinkered at 11.25 on Saturday morning.

Oh Danny Rose. My week would have been lost without you. I brought him in last minute for Eriksen.

Still left 2 other clean sheets on the bench - Pieters (2nd week running) and McAuley. Ah well.

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh Danny Rose. My week would have been lost without you. I brought him in last minute for Eriksen.

Must learn how to transfer in a def for a midfielder next year :pac: =>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Invincible

iroced wrote: »
    Must learn how to transfer in a def for a midfielder next year :pac: =>

I don't think he means transfers, just team line out.

Invincible wrote: »
    I don't think he means transfers, just team line out.
    Yeah but couldn't resist the one-liner :rolleyes: :pac:...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Official FPL app is free now fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Presumably you'll have to buy the 15/16 version to be able to use it next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is it any good?

I used Differential FPL this year (great for my points alerts and looking at fixtures) and the free FF Buddy (prefer the interface, better for showing my placings) and plan to do the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Is it any good?

I used Differential FPL this year (great for my points alerts and looking at fixtures) and the free FF Buddy (prefer the interface, better for showing my placings) and plan to do the same next year.

It's aight for the min or so I checked it out. Differential is much better in terms of seeing live bonus and scores against rivals. The official will just make it easier to constantly check when my rank updates :pac:

It's aight for the min or so I checked it out. Differential is much better in terms of seeing live bonus and scores against rivals. The official will just make it easier to constantly check when my rank updates :pac:

I know people have complaints about FF Fix, but their live update of ranking is fantastic. Having to wait hours for my official rank is so frustrating!

Scott Sinclair has signed for Villa on a permanent deal.

I could not function without Differential FPL.

I intend to send a feedback email to the lad who does it, he's always replied if I've ever had a problem with the app and I think there are a few things that could be improved which would make it even more of a must have. Updating and notifying you when your OR is updated being one.

FHFC wrote: »
    I could not function without Differential FPL.

I intend to send a feedback email to the lad who does it, he's always replied if I've ever had a problem with the app and I think there are a few things that could be improved which would make it even more of a must have. Updating and notifying you when your OR is updated being one.

And if there's a way to check your overall rank, I can't find it.

And if there's a way to check your overall rank, I can't find it.

Had never realised it before! I can't find it anywhere either. Must be somewhere surely!!

jimmii wrote: »
    Had never realised it before! I can't find it anywhere either. Must be somewhere surely!!

Nope. That's why I was gonna suggest it for the 2015/16 update.

FHFC wrote: »
    Nope. That's why I was gonna suggest it for the 2015/16 update.

Strange oversight easy addition to make you would think. I guess it is aiming more at the live game element knowing most people make the big decisions while at a computer and not so much via app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Another lesson learnt (although will never be doing it again anyway)....

Getting married mid-season severely damages your OR

Advertisement