Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workaholic husband

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Because I would be totally opposed to a parent spiriting a child away from their home in such a devious manner. You have no right to take his child and move her an hour away from him. I can't see why you don't get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 greenieted

Just to be clear-I don't want him to sell the farm.

At no point in any of my posts did I say that.

Even if we were to split (which I DO NOT want) I wouldn't make him sell the farm so I could take half its value. It's his, he and his family have worked to maintain it for generations I would not dream of trying to cash in on it after living here for 5 years. I imagine I would want to house (or part there of at least) as I put 30,000 savings into building it and have been paying the mortgage single handed since we moved in.

What I want is for him to scale down on stock numbers-he has 200 sheep, 30 cattle and 800 pigs and before I get posts saying I am exaggerating I am not!!. He had help in the past but his brother left because it was causing problems with his wife too and as he didn't own the place but was working for a wage it was easier for him to walk away. Lower stock need less looking after, less help with giving birth etc, less maintenance, less fodder harvesting to keep them fed during winter. Yes that would lead to lower profit but also lower feed bills and less need for such high-tech farm machinery meaning he doesn't need such a high turnover of money. I can deal with seasonal busy spells but all year round is just not OK in my opinion.

CaraMay-how dare you make comment on my pregnancy. I allowed myself to get pregnant!?!? I had help you know!! I said from my first post no it wasn't planned and I take responsibility for that but there are reasons that it happened that I do not wish to go into. I do not appreciate those comments one bit as you do not know all the facts. In any case it has happened, I love my unborn baby and so does his/her daddy as flawed as we both might be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You don't seem to want to listen to anyone else's view so I'll wish you luck and bail out of the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Are you willing to make any compromises yourself OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

greenieted wrote: »
    CaraMay-how dare you make comment on my pregnancy. I allowed myself to get pregnant!?!? I had help you know!! I said from my first post no it wasn't planned and I take responsibility for that but there are reasons that it happened that I do not wish to go into. I do not appreciate those comments one bit as you do not know all the facts. In any case it has happened, I love my unborn baby and so does his/her daddy as flawed as we both might be.

Op, I am afraid that in some people's eyes you will always be a spoiled hussy because you dare to make demands from someone who is working hard on a familiy farm. ;) That will never change and it will usually come from people who have it a lot easier than you. but your husband actually does need help. What will happen if you have some pregnancy complications and need to spend time in a hospital or have someone around? What if he gets sick? I s there any chance of accountant going through exepenses and seeing where some cut backs can be made to get in some help. Although I suspect very often there are arguments that others never do work properly and so on. Some investment could maybe also wait a year or so.

I wish you good luck and I am sorry there is not much that I can offer.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Are you willing to make any compromises yourself OP?

Totally willing addle.

I am willing to try anything other than just leave him at it, that's the life of a farmer. That's not a compromise.

Another poster (sorry can't remember who) suggested taking more of an interest in the farm and talking to hubby about it more as well as going out on the farm with him and bringing my little girl. I have taken both suggestions on board as they are great ideas. Apart from that though the problem is I really cant think of any compromises that would help solve this problem and make make us both happy.

Have you and suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Totally willing addle.

I am willing to try anything other than just leave him at it, that's the life of a farmer. That's not a compromise.

Another poster (sorry can't remember who) suggested taking more of an interest in the farm and talking to hubby about it more as well as going out on the farm with him and bringing my little girl. I have taken both suggestions on board as they are great ideas. Apart from that though the problem is I really cant think of any compromises that would help solve this problem and make make us both happy.

Other than the above, no.
    I suggest you ask your spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op is there anyone in your own family or do you have any friends you can talk to about this? <Mod snip, don't presume to know what a doctor may prescribe>

It seems crazy you are working in a full time job, and paying for everything, and he is only managing to break even yet.

I grew up on a farm, a good lot of my extended family are farmers and so were most of my neighbours and even they didn't work as hard as your husband is working, during the boom some of my cousins took jobs on the building sites as there was more money to be made there than in farming, now they are back to being full time farmers. However they don't work 15hr days every day 7 days a week, Sundays are usually their days off.

As another poster said if its not making money it seems like an expensive hobby rather than a profit making business. If you were to give up work would the income from the farm be enough to pay the mortgage and the bills?

You both really need to sit down, have a serious chat about this and go through the books to see whats going on, or get an accountant somebody who has no emotional attachment to the farm to take a look at the books and see what can be done to make life easier on your husband and also make some money from it.

Do you do any activities as a family? Have you both gone on holidays or taken time away from the farm at all this year? Maybe you should take some time away and visit your own family to get some perspective as you are only going to get more frustrated with things. best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

So he breaks his nut all day to make no money. Not see his family and make his wife miserable. Idiotic. I have no idea why people are attached to rubbish wet stoney irish land

Why? Sell the stock. Sell the machinery. Get a non farming job. If you had a cow giving no milk youd sell it, same applies when you have 200 cows

Farming is a vocation my bollox. Its a job. If you are rubbish at it and making no money get another one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Totally willing addle.

I've been the workaholic partner but in a different industry (IT) where for over a year, I travelled constantly, and when I got home (sometimes at 2 and 3 in the morning), my then unemployed partner would nag to put it mildly (I'm female btw) I particularly remember travelling for eight hours after a days work, and then needing to deal with a work issue, so heading into my study.

Cue a barrage of "you never talk to me, blah blah blah"

If I was met with "how was your week?" that also cheesed me off, I wanted to come home and chill out

Dunno if that is of any help to you, but it's something to consider, something that consumes someone as much as your partners farm does may mean they need to blank it out.

I know when I had that crap in my life, I wanted to come home, have a meal, watch silly tv and just chill, and have a chat

Now that relationship I was in failed, and I still live that lifestyle to an extent, last year I was on a project doing up to 80 hours a week, but talked to my partner and we worked around it

It kinda sounds like there is no give and take at this stage with you guys, I do stupid stuff with my partner, despite the hours I work, I would do the majority of the housework, so sometimes I'll say to him that he is doing dinner, which involves heating up the leftover stew from the night before.

Would stuff like that give your husband a chance to take a break and feel like he is contributing? It might sound stupid and basic, (and my partner can't cook), but it's a night off food prep for you, and maybe a bit of time together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Just catching up on this now... I cant comment on farm life etc nor will i delve into your own relationship with your husband but I am a father myself with a stressful job and from reading your posts what is blatantly obvious is that your daughter is obviously missing out on time with her father, and unless you sort something out its likely that child number two will be the same. Whatever about your relationship with your husband, your childs relationship with her father by the sounds of it is also being severely damaged by this. If your husband cant see this then im sorry, you need to make him see this. He may have good intentions at heart by providing for her future etc but he is missing her growing up and if he doesnt change his behaviour soon it will be too late... I dont think its too much to ask to get him to at least come home for an hour or two in the evening and spend some quality time with her, putting her to bed, reading her stories etc etc... fatherhood is a job \ role in itself and he needs to see this and step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey OP.

First of all I hope things get better. I'm just going to reiterate some of the points coming from someone who works a lot of hours and only see partner every 2nd weekend.

Working 8am to midnight every day is first of all physically and mentally damaging over a long period of time for anybody, but to be fair to your husband there is nothing better than coming home and chilling after. I have an agreement with my girlfriend that there is limited talking for the first hour so I can unwind and first thing in the morning.

He is missing out on vital quality time with your daughter. Though this can happen in any family, my friends whose families are farmers don't really talk to their dad's whereas the guys who are not seem closer to the fathers. That might just be in my case though. I would worry about those quality years particularly at the start of childhood with your children that will be missed.

This idea that it comes with the job is nonsense and moronic. If he can't make over an extended number of years then close shop, particularly with CAP grants. If someone says they broke even, it is usually not true!!! Nostalgia is a great thing but if your not turning a profit then it is ridiculous. He is losing his family because of what he sees as pride or dignity. It would show real strength to be able to hold his hands up and say its not working. Farmers are price takers so if he can't make it work now, it won't ever.

As for taking your child to the holiday home, it was the right idea done wrongly. Mybe you should have said that if you don't start spending time with us that you will move out for a bit and he will see what it is like then. Cara May was way OTT!!!

Go talk to your GP and a marraige counselllor and tell your husband to aswell.

Best of Luck with this

allybhoy wrote: »
    Just catching up on this now... I cant comment on farm life etc nor will i delve into your own relationship with your husband but I am a father myself with a stressful job and from reading your posts what is blatantly obvious is that your daughter is obviously missing out on time with her father, and unless you sort something out its likely that child number two will be the same. Whatever about your relationship with your husband, your childs relationship with her father by the sounds of it is also being severely damaged by this. If your husband cant see this then im sorry, you need to make him see this. He may have good intentions at heart by providing for her future etc but he is missing her growing up and if he doesnt change his behaviour soon it will be too late... I dont think its too much to ask to get him to at least come home for an hour or two in the evening and spend some quality time with her, putting her to bed, reading her stories etc etc... fatherhood is a job \ role in itself and he needs to see this and step up to the plate.

Totally agree Allybhoy. Thanks for that.

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hey OP.

First of all I hope things get better. I'm just going to reiterate some of the points coming from someone who works a lot of hours and only see partner every 2nd weekend.

Working 8am to midnight every day is first of all physically and mentally damaging over a long period of time for anybody, but to be fair to your husband there is nothing better than coming home and chilling after. I have an agreement with my girlfriend that there is limited talking for the first hour so I can unwind and first thing in the morning.

He is missing out on vital quality time with your daughter. Though this can happen in any family, my friends whose families are farmers don't really talk to their dad's whereas the guys who are not seem closer to the fathers. That might just be in my case though. I would worry about those quality years particularly at the start of childhood with your children that will be missed.

This idea that it comes with the job is nonsense and moronic. If he can't make over an extended number of years then close shop, particularly with CAP grants. If someone says they broke even, it is usually not true!!! Nostalgia is a great thing but if your not turning a profit then it is ridiculous. He is losing his family because of what he sees as pride or dignity. It would show real strength to be able to hold his hands up and say its not working. Farmers are price takers so if he can't make it work now, it won't ever.

As for taking your child to the holiday home, it was the right idea done wrongly. Mybe you should have said that if you don't start spending time with us that you will move out for a bit and he will see what it is like then. Cara May was way OTT!!!

Go talk to your GP and a marraige counselllor and tell your husband to aswell.

Best of Luck with this

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Families of the workaholic often receive little or no support or understanding because relatives and friends usually view the workaholic as merely a hard worker trying to provide for the family. Workaholic tendencies are even accepted, encouraged, and rewarded by society. Often workaholism is considered a symptom of obsessive/compulsive personality disorder which is characterized by perfectionism, inflexibility, and preoccupation with work. Sound familiar? (from drbenkim

You need to explain to your husband he needs to provide for his family by not only farming but by being there for them. The farm as it is, is not working and if you keeep doing the same thing over and over the results wont change he has way too many fingers in too many pies right now he needs to cut off one of them and concentrate on making whats left work. if he needs to go to teagasc, the farmersforum, an accountant to see whats working right now and make the hard decidision to lance a few boils so whats left can thrive. your in for a hard ride but your husband is only going to end up ill, not knowing his children and even worse ending up with children that resent him and the farm coz all they will see is a man beaten down by something that is killing him.

He should think of this and list something he wants to do in every area:
    Self
    Work
    Home/Family
    Community/Society
    sorry prob not much help but you need to fight for your family time. The answer shouldn’t be how to compromise the farm but how to enhance quality of life overall – in the farm and all other aspects in your and his life.” something he is not going to see until afterwards me thinks

Meanwhile, give yourself a break stop nagging (its not working and its making you miserable), plan a hol (anywhere but plan and tell hubby if he is tied to the farm u dont have to be go see a friend for the w/e even better if they have little one yours can play with), any farming outings on this summer you could go to as a family and if he cant go, go anyway u know he would have love to have gone make him jealous he could have gone to do something he also loves. try and get him to agree a half day he will spend with you well in advance, ask him if he needs help to make this happen and make him stick to it. Ask him to start making a plan of his day even small things to help him see how he can organise things better so he can get a few hrs off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

tending 1030 animals on his own is mental…. surely he can afford to hire some help??? maybe lock at prices he is paying for fodder?? you would be amazed how much these can differ between suppliers!!

Thanks soilse and everyone else for your replies.

We have talked a lot about this recently and I have been trying without nagging to see things from my point of view. I have also made sure to give him time to talk about the farm and to actively listen rather than switching off like I normally would. Little girl and I have been out and about "helping" the odd day so things have gotten a bit easier.

Things kind of came to a head yesterday. Hubby promised to finish early yesterday so we could all go swimming together. Little girl loves going swimming but daddy never comes with us so she was really excited. Long story short something went wrong on the farm and daddy didn't make it in to come swimming, I didn't feel up to it to take her by myself (big pregnant belly) so we ended up not going at all. When daddy eventually came home at 6.30pm (early for him) little girl kept pulling his leg saying "daddy swimmin peez" but the kiddie session was well over and it was almost her bedtime so it wasn't an option. Anyway she was very upset and cried for a good while then at bedtime she wouldn't let her daddy put her to bed she insisted I do it. When I came downstairs from putting her down he was sitting on sofa crying (he never cries). He said he had tried so hard to be home in time and that it broke his heart seeing her upset. He said he just can't understand why he is never finished work in time and that he's exhausted and p*ssed off with never having any down time. He has seen me upset about these things all the time but he has never seen the impact on her-seemed to really hit him. We talked through various things for a long time and in the end up he said he said he knows he can't keep going as he has been. He has agreed to sell some of the stock and to use the money to employ someone to help out two/three days a week. Now I have heard these promises before and they haven't panned out before but he really seemed to mean it this time so I guess I'll just have to wait and see and pray that this is the start of things getting better !

Thanks for all the input everyone xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've no useful advice to give but I just wanted to say I'm really rooting for you both and hope your husband is able to work out some practical ways to free himself up from such a huge workload.

Best of luck to all of you :)

Advertisement